Clevo120Y

4L head flow figures

wow a bittersweet end to all of your work... While I'm sure you're pretty chuffed at the result (and I would be) it's a bit disheartening to see your blood, sweat and tears go off with a bang just like that.

And does this bloke have money to burn? If so, tell him to send it my way instead!

I was super excited when I heard it run, it sounded tougher than any of the other 6's there and torched the tyres with ease. Was gutted when he sent me pics of the head LOL. He works at the local wreckers so has plenty of parts to play with, plus I don't charge him much. I do it for the fun and to see how my work performs. I need to find a video to post.

Slydog, Corky is buying a house at the moment so the ute is on hold for a little bit until he moves all his gear, the ute will be awesome, he is wanting to do the whole procharged mega power action and I'm sure he will head east when it's done. The 6's are just for fun, he just puts a bit more effort into his fun than most people LOL

Looks great and flows big numbers, really nice work there. Huge ports on it but being boosted it will be alright. The only thing I worry about with what he has written is that the pipemax flow rating required is with the manifold and throttlebody in place not just the head flow figure so I hope he still gets the flow he wants, the intake manifold I've realised is probably the biggest part of getting the numbers you want, the best head in the world can still be choked by a shit manifold. This bloke is obviously onto it and has probably sorted the manifold and everything else as well, Thanks for posting that up Dave :)

PS The other guy on that thread PM308 is Pete over in Vic and is a great bloke, has given me plenty of advice and is one of the best around, much better than me hahahaha

My latest cyl head flow figures.

This one started out as a brand new 91AA EB/ED cylinder head, and was supposedly ported (very lightly) to suit the cam specs as per below.

It has - 

Crow 7339 90lb XR6 springs,

Crow 11704 collets,

Crow 12700 retainers.

Pep Pro Stainless 1.615inch - 41mm inlet valves with 11/32 - 8.7mm stem 

Pep Pro Stainless 1.850inch - 47mm exhaust valves with 11/32 - 8.7mm stem

It's going on my XG work panelvan which is a Dual Fuel 4spd auto, with 3.23 diff - ie, standard.

I sure hope it turns out to be ok.

To understand the flow sheet -

The Range, is a specific sized orifice plate within the flow bench -

ie, 100 = 100cfm orifice plate

200 = 200CFM plate, etc

The Flow % is the amount of flow through that orifice plate,

so 69% of 100 range, means it's flowing 69% of 100cfm which equals 69CFM.

or 85% of 200 range = 85% of 200cfm = 170CFM

and so on.

Once the flow is approaching 100% through a certain sized plate, the operator steps up to the next size.

Having the various sized orifice plates, allows for more accurate CFM measurements.

1. = before

2. = after porting

3. = after porting, and laying back the seat angle on the valves a bit more.

Panelvancylinderheadbuild.jpg

Memorycard2855.jpg

Doubles-1.jpg

So, in comparing the two OHC heads I've built -

INTAKE -              

N. Standard

P. Ported

PB. Ported/Backcut Valves 

Aftermarket        91AA Factory

N      P             N       P      PB

Lift                   CFM

100:   69 -   71........   56 -   54 -   58

200: 126 - 130........ 114 - 112 - 120

300: 178 - 190........ 170 - 174 - 176

350: 195 - 213........ 190 - 196 - 198

400: 201 - 222........ 204 - 213 - 213

450: 204 - 225........ 210 - 214 - 219

500: 198 - 228........ 213 - 222 - 225

550: 195 - 228........ 213 - 222 - 225

600: 195 - 228....

EXHAUST - 

N. Standard

P. Ported

Aftermarket        91AA Factory

N      P             N      P

Lift                   CFM

100:   55 -   57........   41 -   44

200:   90 -   95........   74 -   77 

300: 106 - 126........ 102 - 110 

350: 108 - 144........ 112 - 120 

400: 126 - 156........ 120 - 130 

450: 130 - 166........ 126 - 136 

500: 134 - 174........ 130 - 142 

550: 136 - 176........ 130 - 148

600: 128 - 176........

man that is some huge low lift figures on that head, both aftermarket and ported. who the hell is casting these heads? racer pro by any chance? lol

also how much are they?

fuck i can see me ending up with another ED at this rate.... lol

man that is some huge low lift figures on that head, both aftermarket and ported. who the hell is casting these heads? racer pro by any chance? lol

also how much are they?

fuck i can see me ending up with another ED at this rate.... lol

Cost me $500 - $600, for a brand new bare head - aftermarket, through the engine builder I use.

(a mate of my uncles)

The NOS 91AA Head, was about $300 off ebay, still in the Ford box,

and came with new standard valves, and sec/hand springs,retainers,collets - all of which I discarded.

I flow tested a BBM and a Log manifold on the same head today which was a EF 94ab head, the Log manifold outflowed the BBM by 11cfm. Just thought you guys would be interested in that.

That is interesting. I changed from log manifold to bbm on my speedway engine and gained about 10kw and a shitload of torque, odd.

thats why dan still runs one i still have one and greny went back to one

both of them had gone the bbm i learned from them but my engine made shit numbers funny so did dans but it backs the shit numbers with a epic time slip for the power level :)

I'm guessing the BBM having the longer inlet runners could possibly have a pulse-tuning effect that the log manifold lacks, the extent of which cannot be measured on a flow bench. Also the throttle lives smack in the centre of the plenum, vs right at the front on the log. Better air distribution me thinks

I flow tested a BBM and a Log manifold on the same head today which was a EF 94ab head, the Log manifold outflowed the BBM by 11cfm. Just thought you guys would be interested in that.

Even when both are ported the log out flows the bbm. The main reason I'm switching from bbm to log.

Hey clevo120y, what were the figures on the stock manifolds?

I just re-read this thread, so much good info here.

One thing i want to know, i have an AU XR6 non vct engine to eventually put in my ute. What is the difference in the head between it and a standard AU head other than a big T cast in the front?

Are the valves springs and cam any different from the standard motor?

Yes as well as bigger exhaust valves and a higher fuel pressure regulator

Ok cool, so a standard AU head has the same size exhaust valves as an EF XR6 head and an AU XR6 head has even bigger exhaust valves again. Correct?