Server maintenance Read more... ×
Clevo120Y

4L head flow figures

If I get a chance Clint I will do those tests for you mate, one thing I can tell you is the butterflies don't completely close so even with them shut there will be flow there.

I got 2 heads dropped off today, 1 is a 96DA which is an early EL hybrid head, it seems to have the same ports as the 94AB but with the beehive springs.

SAM_3097_zpsa7541493.jpg

The other is 96DT a tickford head, the intake port is much different, the port opening is the same but it narrows down quite quickly and it doesn't have a guide boss, the bowl area is smaller as well.

SAM_3096_zps646ca4e5.jpg

I should have some base flow figures for these tomorrow.

Nice work mate and cheers.  I was wondering if there was a way to build a top half for it and just channel it to a pod filter and use the BBM butterflies as the actual throttle control.  I know they will need a bit of working here and there but if its way out you would be able to see it on a bench a lot faster then me building it LOL.  I dont want to invest time and money into it to find it idles at 3500rpm LOL

And to add to your pics there heres some i took of an AU nonVCT head and an EF XR6 94DT head

EF chamber = 60cc

20130709_230221_zpseed05e71.jpg

AU chamber = 65cc
Note the extra shrouding around the intake valve.

20130709_230257_zps9d793eef.jpg

AU intake

20130709_230140_zpsecaf79b1.jpg

AU exhaust

20130709_230431_zps66305b00.jpg

EF Tickford intake

20130709_230122_zps10509718.jpg

EF Tickford Exhaust

20130709_230421_zpsadb1eb87.jpg

And measurements show that the valves are indentical in shape and size, where as the Tickford cam showed 0.055" more lift on the intake valve but same on the exhaust valve

To my surprise the 96DT tickford head flows about the same as a stock crossflow head and far less than a stock EF head, I will post results later, big shock to me so I redid the test on both heads and my results are accurate, so what makes an XR6 go better? more comp, more cam, more fuel pressure and a better tune in the ECU??? it may be the smaller port promotes better low/mid range torque with increased airspeed.

All this e-series talk makes me want to build one. I still miss my EA, and I definitely rate that car over my EF. An AU/EF hybrid donk in an EA s-pack sounds very nice indeed.

So wait a minute... your saying the 96DT head is shit compared to all else???  hahahaha well im skeptical LOL is there any chance you had the vacuum motors turned down??  :P

Physically looking at them theres almost no way they could be worse off, considering you do similar work to a stocker and it gets considerable gains and now your saying this one went backwards?

I don't want to jump out and say they are shit LOL the smaller ports would promote faster airspeed at lower lifts which creates torque, the Tickford cam may have more duration as well as more lift etc etc to make it go better, what I'm saying is as a flow result they don't outflow a stock EF head, so for an all out HP engine I wouldn't start with the Tickford head as a base.

96DT head

50           30.91

100         57.46

150         85.48

200         116.35

250         143.6

300         165.2

350         181.21

400         184.38

450         182.48

500         183.48

550         182.99

600         185.42

When I looked at the ports last night I said to the bloke that the Tickford port didn't look like a good flowing port, it has no bowl volume and tapers quickly from the port face. I don't know what to say, I also thought there was a problem and re tested, then I put the EF head on and tested that and got my original results, then I put the 96DA head on and it has the same port shape as the EF and it flowed the same as the EF, I then put the Tickford head back on and got the same results as above again so I can only report what I'm seeing.

Just re read your post Clint, I haven't touched the Tickford port, that's how it flows in stock form, Ford went backwards in there flow figures, they may have a reason I don't know?? Emissions, a change to port velocity over volume??

Yeah well thats what im sort of thinking they did too, make a torquier motor at low/mid rpm and save the engine and give it another gear instead.

Well ive also got a AU6 HP head here too that came off the block im doing so if you reckon they are the better head then i need to make a decision on which way im going.  Either will end up needing some work to it and the AU head does have the lighter valve train already.

I haven't tested an AU head yet, Dave flow tested his head which is an AU copy and that went 195cfm, his test sheet is on here, for all out flow the 96DA early hybrid head has the lighter AU style valve train but also has the larger EF port so as a combination I think that may be the one to go for, it's the one I'm going to use for this burnout car.

Hey dudes, well I have just finished a head and aussiespeed manifold combo for a burnout car, I started with the 96da head and ported that with good results, the flow is now 231cfm at 450 thou of lift which is the cams max lift but has big duration. The aussiespeed manifold is a nice piece out of the box but did need some attention, stock there was an 8% flow varience between cylinders, once I finished with it I got that down to 4%. With the manifold bolted on the head max flow dropped which is to be expected, to start with the worst cylinders were 1 and 6 which flowed 190cfm and the best was 3 and 4 with 206cfm, once I worked on it a bit I got 1 and 6 to go 200cfm and kept 3 and 4 to 208cfm to give a better more even flow across all the cylinders. This car will be competing at the new years eve event at Wagin.

SAM_3155_zps0c320948.jpg

SAM_3151_zps559f9aeb.jpg

SAM_3152_zpsc8044694.jpg

here is the manifold number 1 entry before

SAM_3169_zpsf6c77b78.jpg

and after some work

SAM_3172_zpsba976ed3.jpg

port alignment of the stock manifold

SAM_3156_zps919a314f.jpg

one thing that I have noticed with the aussiespeed manifolds now that I have both the crossflow and the OHC here is that they are the same manifold just with different head mounting flanges, it appears to me that the crossflow manifold was developed first and has the port entries as I would have them, then they have just recast the crossflow manifold with the OHC mounting flange on it, this puts the manifolds port entries all at the top left corner of the port when looking at the head, in my opinion cylinders 1 2 and 3 should have it there but 4 5 and 6 should have it at the top right hand corner only because the runners are coming from the opposite direction, this is just my opinion of course, this is how the crossflow one is and it just seems to me that the OHC manifold even though still very good wasn't independently developed for this engine just a reflange of the crossflow manifold.

Interesting!

If mine supposedly flows 228CFM at 550, and head you've just finished, goes 231CFM at 450,

would that not in theory, make your head more responsive - if both used the same cam I'm planning to use?

Want to give that AU head of mine, a run on your test bench? ;)

Memorycard2854.jpg

Memorycard2834-Copy-Copy.jpg

Memorycard2829-Copy-Copy.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

Without a full flow test of your head I don't want to make any claims, it all depends on intended use, this head is for an engine that will sit on 6500rpm for 3 minutes so I chose to go with a larger port to keep the airspeed stable at those sustained rpm, your head has a smaller port and most probably has a better mid lift flow than this one which would make it a better street head and probably faster down the quarter and more low speed response. If your keen to send it over I'm more than happy to test it for you.

Also your valve lift is 468 so you would need to look at the flow of your head at that point which would be lower than your 550 flow value. My head with your cam would produce more topend horsepower but everything else I stated above is still to be considered.

It'd be 488' lift wouldn't it?

(I thought the EA-EL rocker ratio was 2:1, and the EL hybrid/AU was 1.8:1?)
(It's running the standard XG rocker gear)

edit -

while the head is supposedly an AU casting, it was built with crow EA-EL 115lb non-conical springs, and stainless steel 41 / 47mm 11/32 valves.

Intake 1.850 x .341 x 5.112" #PP3006     Exhaust 1.615 x .341 x 5.148" #PP3007

How have people packaged heads up, to send em cross country to you?

(I can use Pack and Send as the couriers.)

Memorycard2843.jpg

Memorycard2842-Copy.jpg

Memorycard2826.jpg

I just read 468 from the cam card Dave, sorry about that. Don't quote me on this but something to check, yes the rocker ratios are different between the 2 as you said, I was also under the impression the cam cores are different as well something with the base circles on the lobes, because of this you can't use an AU cam with EF rocker gear as an example, so if your cam was made for an AU head you might run into dramas using the XG rocker gear. Again I'm not certain on this and someone like Thom might be able to give the correct answer.

As for sending heads over I haven't had one sent from over east yet so I can't answer that but I would think that a purpose built coffin would be the safest way to send it, just a little warning sending stuff to my part of the world is expensive, not trying to talk myself out of work but be sitting down when you get the freight cost.

you are correct Au uses a different base circle to e series, and if you mix and match can lead to broken rockers/ bent valves (seen it done once and it wasn't pretty after the first attempted start

My eyes are getting bad LOL, it looked like a 6 but it is an 8 so your all good 488 lift, I thought the ratio's and the cams were different thanks for clearing that up Thom. You will be good to go Dave as your cam is ground for E series gear :)

The head has been collected so I can't now but it would be less that 10cc's larger than stock, I avoid removing material in places it doesn't need removing, I will measure a stock port when I get another 96DA head and I'm also starting to make a data base for all the other heads when I get to them, this head was just a mild job just around the throat and short side and then some texture on the walls, nothing over the top but made good gains without going overboard.

Well the car sounded wild while it lasted LOL, the rev limiter didn't work and she spun well past 7000 and chucked a rod, destroyed everything including the head. The owner reported that the car had tons of power and pulled top gear no worries and was like a 2 stroke in the upper rpm range. I've just done another head for this guy who is now going to run a 3/71 blower on it just for fun.