Sign in to follow this  
Troy Christopher Quigley

Xd gearbox

Do you want a cable or hydraulic clutch set up?

Single rails are easy to find and cheap, and have the same top gear ratio as your c4 and it will drop in and use the same cross member.

Be cheaper to put a stall in the c4.

Sorry being stupid but how or what is a single rail gearbox.

They were created in the early 70's by Borg Warner for Ford and Chrysler as a locally made gearbox to satisfy local content laws for manufacturers. In Fords, they replaced the toploader on all models except GT. They came in various ratios, the one with the tallest 1st gear and highest torque rating is the V8 one, the others were for various 6 cyl models. I'm running a 6 cyl one in my 302 right now with no dramas.

They are a pretty tough box as long as you don't slam them into gear. I think they have a much nicer shift than a T5, until syncros on 2nd and 3rd wear out.

They are quite possibly stronger than a T5 due to the cast iron case (vs alloy) and less helical cut on the gears (less end thrust) but aren't as quiet as a T5.

I like them myself... If only they had an extra gear.

T5s need some mods to go behind a Clevo. They have a different bolt pattern to a single rail or Toploader, so the bellhousing needs re-drilling or replacing to suit. Also the input shaft retainer (snout) is a slightly larger diameter than a SR or TL, needing some machining to fit it in the bellhousing bore.

They also take a different crossmember, more like a boomerang shape than the straight one you see normally.

If you don't want to modify anything, then that kind of rules them out.

They were created in the early 70's by Borg Warner for Ford and Chrysler as a locally made gearbox to satisfy local content laws for manufacturers. In Fords, they replaced the toploader on all models except GT. They came in various ratios, the one with the tallest 1st gear and highest torque rating is the V8 one, the others were for various 6 cyl models. I'm running a 6 cyl one in my 302 right now with no dramas.

They are a pretty tough box as long as you don't slam them into gear. I think they have a much nicer shift than a T5, until syncros on 2nd and 3rd wear out.

They are quite possibly stronger than a T5 due to the cast iron case (vs alloy) and less helical cut on the gears (less end thrust) but aren't as quiet as a T5.

I like them myself... If only they had an extra gear.

Leyland also used the singlerail in there P76's, they are a great gearbox.

In the xd the 6 / 302 shared the same box with the 351 having the taller 1st gear.

I'm running a rebuilt single rail behind my tweaked 302 Windsor which will have more torque than the factory rated 351 in the xd .

Single rails also came out behind the xe esp turbo, which had 500nm plus.