Ivanflo

Broken Exhaust - suggestions for new?

I have now broken my exhaust for the third time,  :(. Turns out a lowered XE with 5 dudes and a speed bump don't mix. Guessing middle muffler caught the edge of those square sided speed bumps, since I took the bump side ways, and then just cracked it around the edge.

It currently has pacemakers and some kind of 2.5 inch system. It's pretty damn loud even before I ripped a little l hole in the middle one, however i wouldn't say it sound the best, it has a pretty deep note, with a sort of spitty pitch at the top, if that makes sense. Ideally it would be deepish, a little raspy if thats the right word and pop n crack like them lollies off throttle, gear changes and randomly in between. perhaps exhaust sound is a product of the engine and not really a tunable thing?? engine is bone stock, wishing for triple webers and a complete build.

lukey? redback? mangaflow? varex? hot dogs? what's everyone like?

Mufflers and exhaust sizes will play a part in exhaust sound, although the engine specs do play a part in the sound.

My XF is a stock 250 carb, has HiTech headers into a 2.5" system all the way through, with a Single Lukey muffler before the rear axle.

Not overly loud at idle, but kinda deep and growly under acceleration all the way up to 4-5k rpm.

Cracks and pops under no throttle, but from my own fiddling I've discovered that the timing of the motor seems to affect the amount of cracking and popping.

Like everything it's all $$$ forced.I just bought a pair of Aerochambers for the ute but I have used DiFillipo in the past that everyone seems to hate...but I didn't mind bar for the fact they were loud. Nice deep note but loud.

Yes the tail pipe goe's right to the rear valance there...single 3" single muffler and stupid loud.

Are you going to be rebuilding the whole system? do you have room to raise the muffler? I have a 2.5 inch system with an aerochamber in the middle and hurricane headers resonator sitting in the area between the spare wheel tub and the fuel tank. 

aerochamber is too loud on a daily especially if you have gears and do highway driving, im talking 3.23+ and up gears with a 3 speed it will be pretty damn loud!

I have now broken my exhaust for the third time, :(. Turns out a lowered XE with 5 dudes and a speed bump don't mix. Guessing middle muffler caught the edge of those square sided speed bumps, since I took the bump side ways, and then just cracked it around the edge.

It currently has pacemakers and some kind of 2.5 inch system. It's pretty damn loud even before I ripped a little l hole in the middle one, however i wouldn't say it sound the best, it has a pretty deep note, with a sort of spitty pitch at the top, if that makes sense. Ideally it would be deepish, a little raspy if thats the right word and pop n crack like them lollies off throttle, gear changes and randomly in between. perhaps exhaust sound is a product of the engine and not really a tunable thing?? engine is bone stock, wishing for triple webers and a complete build.

lukey? redback? mangaflow? varex? hot dogs? what's everyone like?

Mate, if your on the road daily I don't recommend being too loud. My xf has 2.5 inch single free flow muffler out of extractors and 2.5 inch tail pipe. I got 3 e.p.a letters within 18 months a while back, without even driving like a revhead. Had to get it tested and it was 8 or so decibels louder than the acceptable level so I had to go back to standard 2 inch drinking straw pipe to be legal. I love the sound of loud pipes so I made up a 2 bolt flange to remove the loud pipe and fit up the standard. Just get it tested and bolt the good pipe back on once it complies :)

Mate, if your on the road daily I don't recommend being too loud. My xf has 2.5 inch single free flow muffler out of extractors and 2.5 inch tail pipe. I got 3 e.p.a letters within 18 months a while back, without even driving like a revhead. Had to get it tested and it was 8 or so decibels louder than the acceptable level so I had to go back to standard 2 inch drinking straw pipe to be legal. I love the sound of loud pipes so I made up a 2 bolt flange to remove the loud pipe and fit up the standard. Just get it tested and bolt the good pipe back on once it complies :)

just make a plate out of tin with small holes in it and bolt that in-between the two bolt flanges.

The exhaust guy tried to make a choke to put in the tip of my exhaust to quieten it down but didn't get it low enough. Might have to try the plate in between though, thanks for the tip:)

In my experience (and I've made plenty of mistakes), the muffler placement has much more impact on the sound than any other aspect of the system.

Example: my TF Corty had 6-2-1 headers into a 2-1/2" system with only a small resonator just after the crossmember and then a straight-through muffler after the diff. It was surprisingly quiet, especially at highway speeds (very important).

My EF however had 6-3-1 pacemakers, a 3" resonator pipe, then 2-1/2" to the stock muffler before the diff and a hotdog after. It was a boomy, barky bloody thing and had a horrible drone between 90-110km/h.

So one car with more mufflers than the other somehow was louder. I put it purely down to system design. It's a black art and something near impossible to achieve just welding bits together in your shed.

A rule of thumb:

Large, interference type mufflers take away boom but keep a bit of rasp.

Hotdogs take out rasp but keep the boom.

Maybe look at the physical size of the muffler and look for something that will allow for more clearance. Or get rid of the dudes and carry chicks they weight less, well most of the time anyway

LMAO! that's the best advice I think I have ever gotten here.

My 2.5 inch system has been on there for a couple years now, without any trouble at all. (apart from breaking) I do drive like a proper rev head to be honest, I just stay right off the throttle at RBT's and around my neighborhood. That seems to have kept me safe for now, perhaps mine wasn't as loud as yours, 8DB over is quite a lot. 

Are you going to be rebuilding the whole system? do you have room to raise the muffler? I have a 2.5 inch system with an aerochamber in the middle and hurricane headers resonator sitting in the area between the spare wheel tub and the fuel tank. 

I was hoping to cut out the middle one and maybe pickup one of those aerochamber's, they sound sick! or just rebuild the whole thing. that way I can try raise the muffler, or get some kind of lower profile one. 

I guess now I will ring around exhaust shops here in Sydney get a little professional advice and see what the damage ($$$) is. 

Any of the Sydney members know a good shop?

did you have room to move up before? thats why i asked, if you dont raise/move the muffler, its just going to happen again.

Liverpool exhaust in liverpool and best mufflers in carlton have always given me good advice

If you have the extra coin, get a welder and do it yourself, its worth the experience.

i run a extended paceys into 3"  pipe :huh: to a areo chamber then mandrel bent over the diff and a hooker straight through fiberglass dog its great at 110km no drone

all mine was cheap and was left over pipe at the shop and brand new mufflers scored of speedway blokes with too much money

i have a mean idle but i can get away with it at the lights next to the police down here its only loud when i hit that pedle ( which is alot )

And to be totally honest, loud pipes save lives. I have proven this many times. Not once have I ever had people walk out in front of me in my sedan with the noisy pipe on it but plenty of times have had people walk in front of my ute which is stock system. It's too quiet and people don't hear you coming. Also if you drive up behind pedestrians walking or cyclists, they don't seem to hear a vehicle with a quiet pipe.

I'm a lukey offset race muffler fan, the aero chambers are also very nice. I try to place the muffler as far back as possible as it seems to keep the noise down without ruining the note.

did you have room to move up before? thats why i asked, if you dont raise/move the muffler, its just going to happen again.

Liverpool exhaust in liverpool and best mufflers in carlton have always given me good advice

If you have the extra coin, get a welder and do it yourself, its worth the experience.

Haven't had the time to look at it, but will get under there this sunday, the old man will pull out the welder. If that fails, it will probably go back to best muffler, they have been pretty cheap, or my local carline as carlton is a bit of a mission to get too. 

I'm a lukey offset race muffler fan, the aero chambers are also very nice. I try to place the muffler as far back as possible as it seems to keep the noise down without ruining the note.

i'll probably go for aero chambers as well, they look to be lower profile than whatever is under there now. I'll ask them if they can push the whole system up a little bit too. I wonder if there are any exhaust experts among us that might be able to explain muffler size, placement etc. in relation to sound.