ZJ 'lane

Sub Box

Hey Guys

I'm trying to design a sub box for the boot of the zj but I am having a problem with getting a design that will work with all the different sizes in the boot. I want to box the whole boot for neatness.

Does anyone have any good sub box designs that they want to put up?

Cheers

bud your sub box is supposed to be matched with your sub, not the box matched with the car.

Figure out the required volume for your sub and work out your dimensions given that your going to have a max height on the sub box due to the shallow x-series boot!

oh yeah I got that, I've got all the dimensions for the actual sub box but what I want to do is box off the whole boot. I've seen cars with the whole boot boxed and then sub and amp are just apart of it. I'll try and get a photo of one up

I did the boot in my XE and have a full write up in my project thread if you are interested!

ive got a pic in my thread to off the amp panel I made

Do you guys have page numbers haha there are so many pages to troll through

Well last weekend dad and I made our own and it came out pretty well. still need to put the carpet on but that should be easy.

It's got a decent lean on it because it had to clear the boot springs and the spare Tyre compartment.

PA070409_zps867e64a8.jpg

PA070392_zpsc0eb691c.jpg

PA070390_zps9b0d90bc.jpg

PA070389_zpsc579ea6f.jpg

Did you follow the manufacturers volume specs for sealed enclosure when you built it?

Yeah the sub box had to be between 1.1ft to 2.1ft and it came out at about 1.7ft so it should be all good.

Looks good! I think i'll have to ditch my gas tank and do similar

Definitely, it neatens up the boot so much. 

I'd be adding a heap of internal bracing to that box it's very thin walled and will flex like crazy, also being MDF you'll need to completely seal it inside, MDF is about as air tight as a fly screen door.

Good work though it will look good once carpeted.

its 12mm thick which after some research I found that it is a small as you can go, and MDF seemed to be what most sites said to use so we went with that...

It should be completely sealed because we screwed it and glued it haha after that we put down some glue on all the inside joins so it should be all good for that. 

It seems very stable so im not sure what more bracing we could do, what would you recommend?

12mm MDF is way too thin. I don't use MDF at all. I'm building some 10in subs for a customer at the moment they're 25mm thick marine ply with internal bracing. With MDF the actual board is not air tight at all, it's not just the joins.

Some simple dowell struts from one side to the other and top to bottom will make a big difference.

I'm not knocking your build by the way.

If you are interested, Clark Rubber, sell a carpet in grey and black which is good for cover your box. I used it on mine and it turned out great. Fairly cheap to from memory.

Also use a spray adhesive and staple gun to fix it on. Gives a good result.

12mm MDF is way too thin. I don't use MDF at all. I'm building some 10in subs for a customer at the moment they're 25mm thick marine ply with internal bracing. With MDF the actual board is not air tight at all, it's not just the joins.

Some simple dowell struts from one side to the other and top to bottom will make a big difference.

I'm not knocking your build by the way.

Fair enough, I just went with what I found on the net. It was never going to be perfect but it should be good enough for what I need. If it breaks I'll build a new, better one anyway  :D  haha

If you are interested, Clark Rubber, sell a carpet in grey and black which is good for cover your box. I used it on mine and it turned out great. Fairly cheap to from memory.

Also use a spray adhesive and staple gun to fix it on. Gives a good result.

Dad picked up some carpet a while ago so we have all that sorted. Thanks anyway :)

12mm is boarderline but workable, especially if your sub isnt a ground shaker. 25mm marine ply is just too heavy for a normal system. All the audiophiles hardly ever go above 18mm and they always use MDF and just resin seal the inside with a fiberglass resin or equivalent. MDF has better properties for driver enclosures over Ply re: resonance and damping. Where did you hear that 25mm ply was necessary for a sub enclosure?

Id like to head the difference between a 18mm mdf and the same enclosure in 25mm Ply.

No hate, Just advertising the other side of the argument..

You'll know when you get that sub going, As said, 12mm aint that bad but it depends on how hard your sub punches.if your worried, Any sort of bracing to increase rigidity should work.

Im not too worried that it will break, it's not going to be a ground shaker (I don't listen to that type of music haha). Its only a single 12 inch that probably won't ever get thrashed so it should be all good.

I know very few audiophiles who use MDF, All my fullrange horns are 15mm marine ply with 19mm baffle and only use 4in FR drivers, ply has much better stiffness than MDF as well as being airtight and doesn't leach formaldehyde vapour.

Ply will resonate less than MDF which is more uniform density making it more susceptible to resonance. The last reference monitors I built had 38mm ply wall thickness with 50mm baffle plus extensive bracing including clamping the magnet to the brace. 

Enclosure rigidity is VERY important.

12mm MDF or ply would be suitable for some small bookshelf speakers with 4-5in woofers but not a sub.

Many people prefer MDF because it's cheap and easy to work with but it's inferior.