Crazy, I can only get the Donaldson p550008 from my machinery dealer. He said it is a 40 micron filter compared to the p169071 that is 22 micron. He said $10 per filter inc gst. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Correct Ando. Still a quality filter and the micron are at factory spec. Sniff around you should be able to get em for $8.

Did some more sniffing today and can get the fleet guard LF3487 for $30 as well as the Donaldson p169071 from a different supplier, Cummins have 30 3487's in stock so supply shoudl not be an issue. Prices can vary a lot with these filters, make sure you shop around. Still not sure what one i'll go with. Might get one of each of the donaldson p55008 and p169071 and do an oil analysis with 5000km on hpr 30 for each and see what the difference is. Run the p55008 first, that way when i do the expensive filter if the oul quality is still good i can extend the OCi and test again at 10,000 and again at 15,000 if it makes it. I dont have a daily driver falcon though so it will probably take me years to get those K's on and i doubt i'll still be ginning around thinking about ethanol. Ethanol will put a variable in and make the test a bit pointless really.

Does anyone wanna cut open a motorcraft AFL1 and see if it looks the same as this inside?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigodave/media/MotorcraftFL-1A.jpg.html

I'll dissect the Ryco when i take it off the car.

For those K&N lovers, This looks like good quality

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigodave/media/KNHP-3001.jpg.html

one upside to the motorcraft is their bypass valves are prefilter and very good quality.

Ok mate thanks, the local machinery dealer is a good bloke so I'll just go with the 550008 Donaldson. He can get them in overnight for me and won't charge for freight so yeah, it's a win win I guess.

So i finally have come back with a cut up Ryco z9. I cannot fault this filter. the build, design, filter medium and pleat design, material, anti drain back valve (ADBV) and by pass, are all excellent quality and in excellent condition after 5000km in service:

20140108_180558_zpsb1727df2.jpg

20140108_165127_zps92fc2a83.jpg

20140108_180558_zpsb1727df2.jpg

20140108_165021_zpsf7ddc988.jpg

20140108_165238_zps73c91b5f.jpg

Yeah, well i had never seen a ryco inside and when i did all the research i picked up a bit on what makes a good filter. Of course Ryco is never reviewed as its not american but it's awesome to see that inside the can ryco are very good quality

Whats the go with the Z9HE?

High efficiency, http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/platinum-high-efficiency Ryco recommend shorter OCI's (oil change interval) with them and they work at 20micron @ 99% efficiency, it looks as though they still use a paper medium?? but until there's more info or someone rips one open it's hard to say for sure. For comparison the normal ryco z9 is 40 micron but at an unknowen efficency rating. The chick at ryco technical got confused when i asked for the efficency rating as well as the micron...

To compare the HE donaldson filter inside http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigodave/media/DonaldsonP169071.jpg.html has a 22um @ 99% mesh enclosed multistage synthetic medium and can handle exteded OCI's over the normal paper medium. Someple people have run this donaldson filter to 32000km OCI. I personally wouldn't go this far but i would do 20,000km on a daily with a good synthetic oil like Penrite's racing 15 or racing 20, Don't use any additives. Get an oil analysis at something like 8000, 15000 and 18000.

Oil analysis costing about $40 a pop it will actually be cheaper than replacing the oil and filter every 5000-10000km. when we are talking $28 for the filter and $70 for the oil.

Here is the last oil analysis i had on the falcon, This is with the Z9 filter pictured above:

Bettyoilhpr30_Page_1_zpsb61f4ee7.jpg

Bettyoilhpr30_Page_2_zpse94e5671.jpg

The oil was HPRgas30 and was suffering from reduced viscosity. Most likely thermal fracturing of the viscosity indexers (VI's) in the mineral oil brought on when i run the vehicle at the drags. I have since switched to a full synthetic as they have no VI's so and should hopefully not suffer the same fate.