Snip this in here form another thread to get a bit of attention.

The oil nerds are pretty set on motorcraft filters as far as ford goes. They are apparently made really well and ya cannot go wrong with them. The motor craft AFL1 and the Ryco Z9 are apparently identical filters, both made by Ryco for Australia now. just have different packaging. You can get the american motorcraft FL-1A filter through Ford for under $10. They usually have to order it in, It is still made by motorcraft and is of a higher quality than the Ryco clone apparently. All these filters are rated to 40um @ 99% (micron)as far as i could decipher without calling the companies.

When you get the micron rating made sure you get the efficiency as well, the micron rating is useless without knowing the efficiency. Flow rate is a good one to get if you can but most places dont have that information available. Fleetguard was the best for this i found.

I'm on a filter kick at the moment and over the last week and a bit have been doing lots of reading and cross referencing of filters trying to pick a brand tostick with for my Jackaroo. Now that ive got them im looking at the falcon next.

The first link is the standard OEM spec filter equiv to the Ryco Z9. The second link is a synthetically composed medium high efficiency filter to work as an upgrade of the Z9 equivalent. 99% efficiency at 22um

http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/search/partdetail/view/P550008

http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/search/partdetail/view/P169071

Discuss. =D

i would love to see a proper comparison but i use the close to period correct motorcraft filters or drift filters with the removal nut on the end, my clevo tends to take alot of effort to remove the filter

http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/ProductPage.aspx?product=D9AZ6731A

the specs thats always missing and i really want to know with these comparisons is what pressure the bypass kicks in, with modified engines and oil pumps in performance motors it can be very important

yep, that's the american one. Check ford for that part, Apparently they have em for under $10 bucks but can take up to 4 weeks to get em in.

The pressure they kick in will be due pressure "difference" so as the filter clogs the pressure pre filter will be slightly and increasingly greater than post filter as it clogs up. Till it bypasses. It don't matter if your running 10,000psi or 10psi, the Flow rating and the condition of the filter will dictate when the bypass opens. So the rating you really need is the flow and to make sure the volume of oil your pushing though it does not exceed that flow rating. otherwise the filter will bypass before the end of its service life.

I hope that makes sense. If you call the companies they can sometimes provide flow specifications of the filter. Fleetguard was good for this.

yep, that's the american one. Check ford for that part, Apparently they have em for under $10 bucks but can take up to 4 weeks to get em in.

The pressure they kick in will be due pressure "difference" so as the filter clogs the pressure pre filter will be slightly and increasingly greater than post filter as it clogs up. Till it bypasses. It don't matter if your running 10,000psi or 10psi, the Flow rating and the condition of the filter will dictate when the bypass opens. So the rating you really need is the flow and to make sure the volume of oil your pushing though it does not exceed that flow rating. otherwise the filter will bypass before the end of its service life.

I hope that makes sense. If you call the companies they can sometimes provide flow specifications of the filter. Fleetguard was good for this.

you have a point, ford still sell there gtho filter designed for higher pressure oil pumps at about 80 bucks each, must just be a better designed flow but i swear reading they had a higher rated pressure releif spring. your right with what your saying so i wonder why

I have a box full of AFL1MCs. I was hoping to read good things, didn't know they were now made by Ryco too. I haven't had issues with either, just preferred the idea of the genuine filter especially at the price.

That said, I may not bother in future as I no longer have a contact at Ford for good pricing so its retail for me from now on.

Whats the go with the Ryco HE filters? Better flow or what?

I'm only running stock engines so its not a big deal for me, just after the best quality and value.

Personally, I run Z9's, but as long as they have pressure bypass, they should do the same job. It's like 25 brands of toothbrush that all do the same thing. 

The best thing is to inspect your oil filter by cutting it open after draining it. It should be dirt and metal particle free. Regular oil changes, more often, if you

give your engine heaps of right boot.!, are just as important.

Thanks for all the links, been interesting reading. :)

I cannot say if they are the best, but, as i said the oil nerds love using motorcraft on their fords. most of the data is in america. What i did find is that the Australian motorcraft is different to the american one, being manufactured by Ryco apparently. I have always used ryco because it was on the shelf. As long as you are obeying good oil change intervals(OCIs), you keep the dirt out of the engine and are using a good and serviceable air filter you shouldn't have problems with the local ones. But there are "Better" filters out there in the same price range. If you can get the american FL-1A motorcraft filter through ford for under $10 then use those as they are apparently a higher quality filter. To my knowledge these all filter to 40um at >97% efficiency. I have not checkd this with Ryco, Ford or motorcraft. These filters will last the 10,000km OCI as intended by the OEM.

I personally am most likely going to change to the Donaldson filter with a 22um @ 99% efficiency. They will trap and filter much smaller particles. But at the same time i am also going to be reducing my OCI's to probably about 5,000km. As it make sense if they trap more particles they will of course clog up faster. There is this SYNTEQ Media they talk about in this particular filter That is mean to be able to hold more particles and offer lower micron filtration while maintaining OEM standards for OCI's but i dunno...

Slo, If you line the AFL1 up against a Zyco Z9, apparently aside from the color and text on the can they will appear identical. The american ones use a silicone (red) seal that you can see though larger holes in the base. The auzzie ones have a black seal made out of some other material, i forget what it was now, that apparently can become brittle after a few years in service. Not going to be a problem if you have good OCI discipline. There is also the rumor that this was all old stock and now the aussie ones will be coming with the red silicone seal now.

Slo, im pretty sure i have a Ryco spare. If you wanna take a pic of the bottom of one of your motorcraft filters with a ruler near the holes in the base, I'll do the same and see if what i hear on the internet is correct.

From what i understand the high efficiency (HE) filters behave as i spoke above. Lower micron count so can clog up faster. On this page i just Googled it even recommends lowering your OCI to 5k. It must have a lower flow rating hence the "not recommended for race applications" And, looks like red silicone gasket material.

http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/platinum-high-efficiency

As i said, have only been looking into this for just over a week now so a lot of what im yammering on about is yet to be confirmed and is all information i have digested from searching, forums can calling manufacturers.

Don't take what im saying as gospel, If you have a question or a doubt, Raise it.

unless its changed since i left rares the afl1's i was selling i brought in from america, was cheaper then buying from ford aus but if there better thats good news

ill check next weekend

i was wondering about filters when looking on summit racing site for the lexus motor.. some were rated at 20micron? and i think the K&N was a 10micron filter.. didnt recall seeing the flow rating but was planing to look into it to compare the ryco z148 i just bought for it. the ryco packet says meets OEM specs.. spose thats all i need in a stock engine.

I have used K&N oil filters on the race car now for two years and have found them to be spot on.  I have no idea on flow rates etc. but they are used by NASCAR teams so that is good enough for me.  Having said that, I change the filter every meeting due to running methanol so service interval is not that important to me. 

My bearings have shown no sign wear after a year of abuse and in the tough, dirty world of speedway and methanol - that tells me they are doing their job.  I import them in bulk whenever I do a Summit order and with freight they work out about $14 a filter.  Cheap insurance for a motor that is worth a lot more than that.

I think that if you are buying a ryco filter and changing them and the oil regularly then you could not tell the difference in a street application.  Clean air and fuel going in and more regular oil changes with quality oil would be more of a concern to me than individual flow rates.

the short z9 is the z89a, yes there is a ford equivilant but cant remember the number, ask for an au ts50 oil filter, basically any au v8 with an oil cooler but the ts50 is the sure fire hit

Donaldson beez knees filter is costly at about $35 (cent remember exactly but its mid 30's) So i'll be steering clear of that for now. Baldwin have a pretty good micron rating on their B2 which is a Z9 equivalent for $13 but repco wanna charge $20 freight to order it in. so will need to find a supplier.

I did write all this down but left the bit of paper at work.

Guy at ford wagga said the ford in Melbourne does all the importing. So he could not really help me. He did say "AFL1's WERE made at Ryco" but i did not probe any harder to see if he knew if they still were. I might do some digging on the Ryco HE filter if the baldwin or fleetguard turn out to be downers. I would still like to try the Donaldson but $35 might be pushing the friendship. Remember its not just 35. but 35 every time.

Seen a couple of billet screw cans with swappable/cleanable filter elements but they all are american import. No dealers in auz as far as i know. Not saying that's a deal breaker, but was looking for something on the shelf if possible. Another good things is there is Lots of information from multiple parties on off the shelf brands.

Anyone keen to give em a go?

Actually getting oil analysis done and testing your filter is pretty expensive. I just got 3 kits at $35 each. Not enough to get any sort of trend and comparison data but enough to to see how the lube system is travelling.

billet units are imported via et performance in reserviour melbourne, over 200 bucks but supposed to be good, available to order from any auto store

same company runs CPC, High Energy, Drag Rodz etc so if any store sells them they can get them in

Pic of the Donaldson on the left (P550008) is the standard replacement part for the Z9 which are under 10 bucks. ignore the filter on the right, It is a horrible example to show what you DONT want your filter to look like.

page6-1026-full.jpg

and a motorcraft FL1A

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1454102

heres the high performance filters. Donaldson and fleetguard. Look the same yes? Rumour has it they are identical manufacturer, But only this filter as far as i know, fleetguard and donaldson ARE usually different. I'll ring fleetguard and get a price, they are "apparently" 1/3rd that of the donaldson. But.. its old data so things could have changed.

Click through for high res:

donaldson: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/bigodave/DonaldsonP169071.jpg

Fleet guard: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigodave/media/FleetguardLF3487.jpg.html

Edit: and 1 more that might be looking into to see if they supply and what the specs are: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigodave/media/AmsoilEaO15.jpg.html

and a list of suitable filters:

http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/300387-More-than-you-want-to-know-about-3-4x16-oil-filters(and-some-for-20x1-5-too)