bear351c

Tyres and Wheel stuff.

Hi Admin,

Under "Technical" section, is there a page on Wheels and tyres??

I was going to ask if anyone had redrilled or multi drilled any rims. Found a pair of 16x10 Performance Challengers (Globes) on Ebay for a Torana, wondered if they could be modified to Ford stud pattern.

Couldn't work out where to post. Am I missing it?

Bear.

I don't like telling people not to do something. But make sure your careful here. Can you re-drill the PCD on a rim? Yes. Should you? ...... hmmmmmm No? I mean, if you approach it with the right attitude you'll probably get away with it. Things to consider are strength, material type, balance, offset. Will the rim still support the vehicle to rated specifications with that material removed? You get a machine shop with enough nous and they will be able to drill it out spot on.

http://oldholden.com/node/17809

if they have a 30mm offset you might be able to get some 25mm hubcentric hub adapters Or even go as far as swapping the rotors out. Depends how badly you want these rims really.

Like Crazy and Thom said change your stud pattern before you change a PCD. I have a friend who wanted to be able to use some JDM rims on an RX7 and some Datsuns. So he decided to redril to suit. Paid for it the rims never felt right to me and the balance was always crap. So in the end he changed his stud pattern. Now he can use all his rims on all his cars.

Thanks all for advice, some good stuff in there.

I've been around Engineering all my life, and a Fitter for 20 years, so I wasn't going to be Guido with a Makita in the back yard..........

It would be an engineering company, multi spindle drill and steel inserts. Hadn't thought of the blank rotors idea, sometimes you just can't find old wheels or mags, and when ya do, they fit something else, like a Prius.

Occasionally you will find old school rims like Hurricanes, Rebels or Hotwires for other cars, but not for the old FalCoon.

I've seen new sets are available on eBay, but I'm not paying over $3,000 for them.

Thanks all for advice, some good stuff in there.

I've been around Engineering all my life, and a Fitter for 20 years, so I wasn't going to be Guido with a Makita in the back yard..........

It would be an engineering company, multi spindle drill and steel inserts. Hadn't thought of the blank rotors idea, sometimes you just can't find old wheels or mags, and when ya do, they fit something else, like a Prius.

Occasionally you will find old school rims like Hurricanes, Rebels or Hotwires for other cars, but not for the old FalCoon.

I've seen new sets are available on eBay, but I'm not paying over $3,000 for them.

Grand Tourer do repro globes for around $1200  a set i reckon.

hahaha

I been keeping really busy gromet, but I'm getting some spare time back so I'll be around a bit more

btw, section created and this is the first thread ;)