Server maintenance Read more... ×
RAWDEAL

Are the flywheels the same from prexflow to xflow to ea/b/d ??

The clutch in my prexflow 4 speed single rail cortina is slipping.. i want to get another flywheel for and get it machined, and also buy another clutch kit

Are they the same as the later ones? 

I have heard i might need to drill the bolt holes out more is this true?

It seems a lot easier to buy a ea flywheel / clutch kit than hunting around for a cortina one.. a lot of parts stores dont even know what a pre crossflow is lol

Their all different apart from the very last (87DA) XF-EL i think. I know that the 78DA and 83DA both use different bolt sizes and the hub size does vary......pain in the backside.

I'm not sure if they fit all xflow and earlier, but any xflow that uses the same rear main as 4.0l (xf unleaded and later I think, can someone confirm this?) will take a 4.0 flywheel, from memory the bolts are smaller in a pre xa engines, I would never use a flywheel of a later engine on a 5 main bearing engine (XM and earlier) without re balancing the flywheel otherwise risk breaking the crank, if a 4.0 flywheel does for your engine I suggest using and Ed or later flywheel as they use a 6 bolt pressure plate instead of a 3 bolt setup like the Earlier engines

Their all different apart from the very last (87DA) XF-EL i think. I know that the 78DA and 83DA both use different bolt sizes and the hub size does vary......pain in the backside.

should of read the posts before replying, going of xeeclipse's info a 4.0 flywheel won't fit

86da on have the 4ltr metric bolts and just need to be drilled to suit bigger bolts so yes they do fit. A earlier flywheel can be used on later without drilling as the bolt holes are bigger but you need shanked bolts or you asking for trouble ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

I'm not sure if they fit all xflow and earlier, but any xflow that uses the same rear main as 4.0l (xf unleaded and later I think, can someone confirm this?) will take a 4.0 flywheel, from memory the bolts are smaller in a pre xa engines, I would never use a flywheel of a later engine on a 5 main bearing engine (XM and earlier) without re balancing the flywheel otherwise risk breaking the crank, if a 4.0 flywheel does for your engine I suggest using and Ed or later flywheel as they use a 6 bolt pressure plate instead of a 3 bolt setup like the Earlier engines

I used a E series 6 bolt on the xflow when it was still manual.But I had a EF crank and 86DA block...but to go back onto a early style I just drilled the metric bolt holes out to imperial size and it's fine.It is on a XE ATM so he has a 6 bolt clutch and e series flywheel.

How do i tell which block i have? im pretty sure i have a later 250 prexflow. judging from the amount of welch plugs?

Pretty sure it isnt going to work though?

Mark can i borrow your flywheel i just realised i have another block sitting at home!

to confirm

Engine is NOT a crossflow

most 4.1 will have the engine number up behind the water pump. pretty much all 3.3 ,200cu, have the engine number down near the drivers side engine mount

pretty much the same with the old log 250 donk

How do i tell which block i have? im pretty sure i have a later 250 prexflow. judging from the amount of welch plugs?

Pretty sure it isnt going to work though?

Mark can i borrow your flywheel i just realised i have another block sitting at home!

to confirm

Engine is NOT a crossflow

you sure can tom, let me know when your in geelong next :)

ORRITE . 

So the bolt holes on a pre crossflow crank are 7/16th
the inner lip is 1 3/4 , which matches the ea flywheel

According to a friend who works at a clutch and brake place, the ea 3 bolt clutch kit is the same as a 4 speed cortina kit

The bolt holes on the ea flywheel are a tad smaller, so ill get them drilled out and it all should be sweet!

the ONLY THING that i have a concern about, is the balance ! but i am pretty certain they are the same. ill see when i pull the flywheel outta the cortina

Ford inline 6s are all neutral balance engines, as the crank throws cancel each other out at each end of the motor. It's only Windsors and Clevos that have imbalanced (externally) flywheels and balancers.<br /><br />I think what Thom was referring to was that the early log motors need a well-balanced flywheel/clutch to avoid harmonics and crank breakage. This however should apply to any engine you're doing in my opinion. For 80 bucks or so on top of the clutch kit, you can get your flywheel skimmed and assembly balanced. Cheap insurance really.

Ford inline 6s are all neutral balance engines, as the crank throws cancel each other out at each end of the motor. It's only Windsors and Clevos that have imbalanced (externally) flywheels and balancers.<br /><br />I think what Thom was referring to was that the early log motors need a well-balanced flywheel/clutch to avoid harmonics and crank breakage. This however should apply to any engine you're doing in my opinion. For 80 bucks or so on top of the clutch kit, you can get your flywheel skimmed and assembly balanced. Cheap insurance really.

Thx for that info. that was the only other thing i was concerned about lol

This flywheel has been freshly machined, so i assume its balanced, ill get it sussed out though

how do i go about drilling the holes out? should it be done on a mill with an indexing head or just a good drill press? 

Anyone know where i can order online a set of ARP flywheel bolts?

Thx for that info. that was the only other thing i was concerned about lol

This flywheel has been freshly machined, so i assume its balanced, ill get it sussed out though

how do i go about drilling the holes out? should it be done on a mill with an indexing head or just a good drill press?

Anyone know where i can order online a set of ARP flywheel bolts?

I used a set of Allen-key 10.9 bolts on my EF flywheel, drove it for 5 years thrashing it and no dramas at all.<br /><br />If it's a Crossy with imperial bolts they will be grade 8 (imperial has a different scale) with six strokes on the head.