Server maintenance Read more... ×
Grimmy

Auto problems

I've recently bought an el , but the auto has started playing up . It's a std 4spd auto BTR? I think . Anyways , it dosnt seem to know wat gear to stay in . It kinda jumps between gears fairly harshly by its self . It happens mainly at low speeds and wen de-celerating . It don't happen as often when the revs are above tq converter speed . Has any one had this happen before ? I hope it's just a bung sensor or an easy fix

Could be a charging issue or a shift solenoid, if you put it on a diagnostic machine it will tell you which solenoid is crook if that's the problem

I have an auto out of an EB , are they interchangeable with the EF "computer torque control" automatics ? I noticed the eb box had a dipstick where the later box don't

I've heard BTRs all interchange, they just deleted the dipstick from EF onwards?

They did change model numbers over time though, but that could be due to dipstick deletion, or more in depth modifications.

Yep they are a straight swap (at least NC to El is) the computer torque control refers to the bbm (you may have noticed xh Utes with the log manifold have computer combustion whereas bbm fitted xh's have the computer torque control ) Ef series 2 was when the dipstick was eliminated, my 5.0 El wagon has an eb auto in it seems to be fine

Got one for $50.00 if interested. Just oil and filter change as you usually do with any swap over and away she goes. Oh yeah, sensible people also do a sump gasket when doing the above too.