Valvebouncer

Crossflow alloy head casting numbers

Clint I think it is just the light from the bench playing tricks with your eyes and the fact that the second shot it not at the same angle as the first.  If you look at the first c1 shot at the first two cylinders you can see less of a taper.  The first head came off a stocker so I don't think it has been played with at all prior to my playing with the valve shrouding.  I laid the exhaust swirl back a bit to from memory, but just a touch.

I reckon if I blasted the second c1 head chamber and laid them both on the bench at the same angle they would be the same.  I have another two c1 heads here but they are both still attached to blocks. 

Early unmarked head chamber

IMG_1057.jpg

and now the mystery head chamber.  The raised casting section has been dieground back, but dead set looks like C2 but this is no C2 chamber.  Can anyone identify it?

IMG_1059.jpg

Yeah I don't know cos without markings it's ??? but it doe's look like a C2 design...

The odd one looks like a milled C2 to me.

Yeah but have a look at the depth of the chamber and the fact that the inlet and exhaust swirl don't go all the way to the head gasket face.

Also look at the shape of the chamber just above the inlet valve.  It's like no other head casting I have seen and it all looks factory not milled down as it is all still rough casting.  I'll blast the chamber up one day and post another photo. 

Good spotting Clint - wondered if anyone else noticed that.  I'm going to pop an inlet valve out of it and check sizing and clean up a chamber and CC it.  I'm thinking this head may be going to Brisbane with me for a bit of 'Cam magic'. 

I'm starting to wonder if the 'C ?' casting was removed at the factory.  I have all sorts of stories of weird stuff happening at Ford where trial bits and pieces made there way into production cars by oops'ys.

Looking for some info/specs on an hf4 head, searched xfalcon and ozfalcon but didn't find anything and thus looks like the best thread to ask in. Any help appreciated

HF4 is a alloy head...the only way to script what it is by measuring a chamber. Very easily done and TBH HF codes only show Honda Foundry TBH. 

I have a HF7 which is a C1A so unless you can see in between cyl 1-2 inlet a code you have a HF4 whatever.   

There should be a letter or letter number combination cast into the head on the inlet side between number 1 and 2 runners. If there is nothing there then it is an unmarked head I believe.

As sly said the best way to tell is check the cc of the camber as the heads are fairly old now and even if you have on that might have had 50cc when made it might be down around 48cc or even less by now. Is the cylinder of the engine so you can see the combustion chamber

Cheers for the replys guys, nah I checked for the markings before posting and the only thing I could find was hf4. I'm getting it machined soon hopefully so I'll get the shop to sort it for me. On a related note where do you guys source your valvetrain components from?

Performance Wholesale is where I get most of my shit bruz. I do have a few solid cam spring sets retainers and shit.A set of rollers I think and even a complete cyl head with big valves ? Are you going hyd or solid cam ? 4 barrel or 2 ? You will need a TFI dizzy MSD CDI box from a basic street fire to a Digital 7 if you want to play with timing maps. Not needed IMO but...

I got nothing small enough for you...not meaning to be rude bro. Would have helped out of I had the right gear for ya is all.

Maybe try Ando76 to see if he has some dirt slinger shit laying around.  

I was going to got a hydraulic with 225@50 before my roller cammed crossy came along. 500 holley with aussiespeed manifold, some standard size valves with a bit of home porting. I was going to go along with what the machine shop used in regards to cylinder head setup, just need to make sure you are confident in the machine shop you are using. You can pickup lots of little tid bits here and there on this site if you find a few people who you think know what they are talking about and read what they say in different threads, thats how I have learnt so much. Just keep in mind the discusions can get a little carried away and mild hydraulic cammed setups can turn into full blown race setups pretty quick as rebuild cost for a mild setup are not that far behind wild setups. But keep in mind the expensive part comes in supporting the power, ask me I know

Yeah mate I've following your thread and others here and have also followed robs build since xfalcon, I've been soaking up as much information as I can. Always found there to be alot of knowledgeable and helpful people both on here and xfalcon so if I run into trouble with anything I know where to ask for advice.

56a33496fd8fa240de7bdd55b33e6194.jpg

9a293020212c97b6d00247bb5a0055f6.jpg

A recent head I got that says c2 but not what I thought c2 looked like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot all about this till I got the head done recently which I have sat to the side for use with another block that I start next year. But some info about this head from two engine builders I spoke to. Both builders said that the cylinder head was machined that way to lower compression particular for turbo application. Both asked did the cylinder head come from a turbo xflow which it didn’t. They thought it unusual it to be done for normal application particular being c2 which is common and that there are type of cylinder heads available at the time if it was result of pinging due to head design.The work done to head was very good to the point it seems cast that way. One builder has only ever seen one head like that on a turbo the other said he never worked on one but heard of cylinder heads like it. Any truth in it-who knows. Unless the actual person who did the work is found for the reason for it done I will never know.Got a number of different cylinder heads and this one has a different story to it.
My belief is that it was to prevent pinging which were prone in unleaded XF and someone found it was good to use for turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the same as my mystery head from my post back in September 2013.  I still have that head here. It's very weird. I age never seen another one, now there are 2.  Hmmm