Ando81

Ed diff into xf

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone can tell me the easiest way to fit ed diff into my xf sedan regarding the trailing arms. I'm not sure if I should use ed arms or xf and just change the bushes to suit. And are both upper and lower arm bushes different from ed to xf. I'm sure this has been covered on another thread but I cannot remember where. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

upper same

lower different if xr6

not sure if different on standard sedans

Best swap you will make in your car along with getting rid of the big piece of shit they call a crossflow :P

I'm told the diff is out of a fairlane, 3.27 ratio lsd so I'm not too sure regarding the bush size unless I drop the xf ones out to compare. Was just hoping to have one diff ready to pull out and the other to put straight back in. The old crossy gets the job done but yeah 90 kw is nothing to get excited about :)

It sounds very tempting, have driven a stock ed xr6 that went pretty hard. I already have the diff and t5 box, might be worth fitting ed or maybe au donk to complete the package!!

Ando, you gota swap bushes around use, half ED and half XF. I did this conversion a few months ago and I had to use xf bushes in the ED trailing arms to go onto the car. You will have to get the old ones pressed out so the new ones can get pressed in. Its easy peasy. Oh and you will have to get a hose conector for the brake line.

You can get that from pirtek?

Ando, you gota swap bushes around use, half ED and half XF. I did this conversion a few months ago and I had to use xf bushes in the ED trailing arms to go onto the car. You will have to get the old ones pushed out so the new ones can get pushed in. Its easy peasy. Oh and you will have to get a hose conector for the brake line.

You can get that from pirtek?

Steve was it a standard diff or xr diff? Can't remember for the life of me

The one thing I have always wondered is why don't people just remove the imperial brake fitting and replace it with a metric one and re-flair the pipe

That's all I did on the race car.  removed the fixed line - took it into my local brake joint (who actually sponsors the car) and he did exactly that.  Job done. Cost my time to pull the line off.   

About to do the same thing on Jason's race car as the xf diff has some shocking slop in the bearings.  scary really.   I used an EF diff in mine and just made up some alloy spacers to take up the difference in the lower control arm mount.  I wanted to retain my lower control arms as they are an aftermarket square tube design with a large nolathane bush.  I am not sure who made the control arms (pedders???) but they are a good piece of kit. 

Wes, mine was EB Fairmont standard diff into my XF Falcon.

I would have thought the XR6 range was the same as EA-EB-ED.

Using the diff from ea-eb-ed you keep the same hand brake set up as XF.

EF and onwards used the one hand brake cable set up so would require more mods to suit XF.

Yeah as I said Ando, its an easy operation don't be intimidated by it. Get the back end of the car high up then just roll the whole lot

out from under it in the XF. Ive just looked at mine now and it went......

I used EB top trailing arms into my XF with no bush change.   These were in better condition than the XF ones I took out so that why I used them.

They are almost identicle to XF and do the exact same job.

Bottom trailing arms I used EB with a bush change on one end only. I changed the bush from EB to XF where it bolts up to the car as the EB is

more narrow then XF. Kept the EB bush where it bolts up to the diff (no change required there)

I used the EB tailshaft, bolt straight in.

and I bought the brake line adapter from a member here who works in that field, he also done this conversion.

The EB falcon diff has a solid disc brake set up, over the vented ones in XF. No biggie I spose still makes the car stop ok so im all good :)

Great explanation mate! That is what I was hoping to do, sounds nice and easy now. Thanks to everyone else for their input also :)

Wes, mine was EB Fairmont standard diff into my XF Falcon.

I would have thought the XR6 range was the same as EA-EB-ED.

Using the diff from ea-eb-ed you keep the same hand brake set up as XF.

EF and onwards used the one hand brake cable set up so would require more mods to suit XF.

Yeah as I said Ando, its an easy operation don't be intimidated by it. Get the back end of the car high up then just roll the whole lot

out from under it in the XF. Ive just looked at mine now and it went......

I used EB top trailing arms into my XF with no bush change. These were in better condition than the XF ones I took out so that why I used them.

They are almost identicle to XF and do the exact same job.

Bottom trailing arms I used EB with a bush change on one end only. I changed the bush from EB to XF where it bolts up to the car as the EB is

more narrow then XF. Kept the EB bush where it bolts up to the diff (no change required there)

I used the EB tailshaft, bolt straight in.

and I bought the brake line adapter from a member here who works in that field, he also done this conversion.

The EB falcon diff has a solid disc brake set up, over the vented ones in XF. No biggie I spose still makes the car stop ok so im all good :)

FYI: Am pretty sure mine was an EBII xr6 3.23 LSD and i just used XF upper and lower tailing arms. Didn't need to change any bushes over.

Took the rear hard-line off the car and took it in to a brake shop. got them to change the end fitting over.

I recently put a DC LTD 3.27 lsd into my xf and didnt have to change anything except the tailshaft, brake fittings and handbrake cable(E series back section is 2 piece, you can keep the existing front section on your XF).

Cheers fellas, yeah I think my diff was in an nc fairlane, same year as ed. I will check trailing bush sizes before I modify any of mine for the transplant. Thanks again for the input :)

y8u8ypy4.jpg9y6ejuqu.jpg So I have been really slack and have just got around to the conversion. I think my brake line adapter is the wrong one. The piece on the left came out of the donor diff "ed" and the adapter has a different looking end which seems loose in the ed flexible line, but the adapter screws into the xf line very neat and snug. I'm thinking the guy at abs brake parts gave me the wrong one. Ideas anyone?

So the end with the inverted seat screws onto the body of the car and the male end screws into tbe hose? I think what he's given you is a 10x1 female to 3/8x24male afaptor if its loose in the threads on the ed hose. I'll have to check bit I'm pretty sure that both xf and ed have 10x1 threads. Maybe just different seats. I've got a brake hose catalog at work I can look in after I finish lunch if you want.

Does the xf tube on the car actually screw into the ed hose nice. Not loose but the threads feel right? And do the seats go in the opposite direction?

Haven't got that far mate, just tried the adapter in the ed diff hose and it felt loose and the flared end was different. From other forum posts they tell me that it is an abs part number mf 121-10-03. I've rang about 5 stores and they don't have the part in stock.

From what I've found out off the ends on the hoses you shouldn't need an adapter in an xf as they are both 10x1 with a bubble flare. It should screw sraight up. Xd and xe have the 3/8X24 imperial thread. Have a look at the end thats is on the car. It shoyld be the same as the one that you have of the ed.

I am hoping to attempt this properly over the weekend, just getting all my parts sorted beforehand but I did try to screw the small ed end that I had in my hand from the donor car, onto an old xf housing that I had used before and the ed end seemed too large to fit into the xf hose so I'm thinking if I was to put the xf steel line into the ed diff then the ed female will be slightly larger.