Server maintenance Read more... ×
matt_lamb_160

Wastegate positioning

Thanks Wes, that's pretty much exactly what I thought, another outlet in the same spot but on the opposite side and join them together before the gate. I can get a manifold like it pretty cheap, trying to decide if it is worth it.

You can always block off that wastegate and just run a pipe/wastegate off the turbine housing. Will control boost better then off the manifold.

Yes, theoretically being as close to the turbine as possible is the best option as Branko mentioned. Only problem is the differing materials and welding on a cast item, you have to be a real good welder to make sure you get a great seal but cracks are inevitable due to heat and expansion rates of different metals. Still, it's the best place to put it.

But if you're going to use that manifold which I don't recommend, you shouldn't just put it on the other side too.

zi2o.jpg

Being a split pulse manifold, not the best idea at all with that adapter. Again the gate is to one side. If you don't put two holes from each pulse side then it should be bang in the middle of both sides, ie half on each side for the most benefit.

All the exhaust goes thru the adapter as it a open chamber...not going to be too ineffective really.Not ideal but again a good idea compared to modifing that manifold.Ideally a better manifold to start with would solve all issues but its up to Matt really.

milzy here...cbf changing accounts

thats pretty much it, although most people just weld onto their existing housing instead of buying a new housing.

As for welding a cast housing, I have done a couple and haven't had any issues. Basically just preheat the housing and weld it while its hot. They say you should let it cool in sand bla bla, but ive just let it cool naturally and haven't had any issues.

All the exhaust goes thru the adapter as it a open chamber...not going to be too ineffective really.Not ideal but again a good idea compared to modifing that manifold.Ideally a better manifold to start with would solve all issues but its up to Matt really.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Why do it properly when you can do it every other way first

Seems you were very good at the other way with the XR Glen gas turbo 250 numerous times and making that Fairlane combo slower in the XE not faster so yes you do have a valid point Wes...

Back to topic please cos it seems Millsy has helped him out anyway. 

Faster and ran longer than any engine you've built. You're out of your territory. Should be a how to blow up a crossflow thread elsewhere. That desperately needs your expertise in there. No one here more qualified.

Bahahahahaha Beg to differ but don't give a shit what you think anyway...LOL Learn how to actually build something not make it slower and pay people to do it for you is not usually how it works.

Besides my point was the adapter would infact work so it was a good "idea" for a on a budget build if it suited his needs,which is what the forums are about actually helping people.But again it seems Millan has helped out with a option Matt likes so back to topic please.

Thanks everbody for your input, I think there have been some good ideas put forward. I think the wastegate off the turbine housing is something good for me to consider no matter what manifold I use (assuming it doesn't already have a well positioned wastegate outlet), especially any manifold designed for internal gate turbos.

If there are anymore ideas on wastegate positioning, don't really even need to relate to this manifold, I would like to hear them.

I would say wes has given the best advice in this thread.

Why take a chance at ruining a turbo housing if you have a steel manifold that is easily cut and welded. People giving advice that Welding mild steel to cast is easy and wont crack are just telling you storys and haven't really done it themselves. So why take a chance. My advice would be to put a hole where wes showed. The smoother the path into a y will work very well.

Yes Wes has given good advice, but I think you should have a look at some of the work done by the guy suggesting the turbine housing option before yoy call him a liar. I am confident he has done it before. I think his advice is also good. The cracking issues were pointed out by Wes.

Thanks for your input.