XES

Will X series calipers fit an E series diff?

Looking at getting an e series diff to fit into my XE.  Just wondering if the calipers off an XE disc brake diff will fit onto an e series diff.  Reason being that a diff I'm looking at has no calipers on it.  And I have a set of braided brake hoses to suit an xe diff and I know that the e series have metric threads not imperial.  

Cheers

Pete

Yes but with mods.. i did the same thing fitting an eb diff but kept my xf disc brakes. You will need to redrill the pcd on the backing plates as the tube ends are rotated about 90 degs. Then u will need to grind away a bit of the caliper slide pin boss as the allingment is different and with fresh pad they rub the pad on one side a cant remember which. Just needs a couple mm filed off it to allow it to slide further on the pin and free up the pad.

The xf hard line fits the housing but the flexy uses a different mounting setup. I just zip tied mine to the backing plate. Or im sure u could fit new ends onto you flexy hose as they are metric.

So its no to hard to do then.  I'm sure i'll be able to get it sorted then.  Thanks Clint.  I've got rotors and all for the x series.  Just haven't fitted it to the car.  The one I have is a 2.77 lsd but i'm looking at a 3.27 to try and get a bit more pick up.  I'm tipping that I'll need a tail shaft too now that I think about it.

Looking at getting an e series diff to fit into my XE.  Just wondering if the calipers off an XE disc brake diff will fit onto an e series diff.  Reason being that a diff I'm looking at has no calipers on it.  And I have a set of braided brake hoses to suit an xe diff and I know that the e series have metric threads not imperial.  

Cheers

Pete

I recon i got a set of e series backing plates and calipers in the shed.

why bother just go with the e series and get the rubber line remade to save all the work ,i did e series into an xf years ago and went back to xf brakes it was a pain

also just alter the e,series hand brake ratchets itl all work

why bother just go with the e series and get the rubber line remade to save all the work ,i did e series into an xf years ago and went back to xf brakes it was a pain

also just alter the e,series hand brake ratchets itl all work

Like I said Rev I've got a set of braided hoses for and xe diff.  I'd like to use these if I can.  I'm hearing you about it being easier but I don't mind a bit of work.  If need be I'll do that and make a new set of braided hoses for those calipers and sell my other set..  I've never had an e series diff to look at before so I wasn't sure of what the difference are.

You will also need to fit a metric end on the flexi line to the T block on the housing to the body, then u will need the wider lower rear control arm bushes in your bottom arms. And yes a tailshaft.

Fittings aren't a prob for me clint:D 3/8 X 24 male to 10 X 1 female adaptors are something I've made sure we have in stock at work. Wider bushes is something else I hadn't thought of thanks.

on a similar topic, anyone know if AU brakes and EF are the same on the diff?

i may be buying an AU diff with no brakes and have an EB and an EF diff here with brakes if they fit? 

on a similar topic, anyone know if AU brakes and EF are the same on the diff?

i may be buying an AU diff with no brakes and have an EB and an EF diff here with brakes if they fit? 

Afaik, Au will bolt onto Ef diff (the axles have the same spacing as e series from bearing to flange and the bolt pattern for the retainer appears to be the same

Afaik, Au will bolt onto Ef diff (the axles have the same spacing as e series from bearing to flange and the bolt pattern for the retainer appears to be the same

that should work the other way then(EF brakes on the AU Diff)

Yes will fit the diff housing but the au rotor is smaller and runs a different caliper, if u keep the same brake package then it should all align. The handbreak cable is longer but.

its for My transit van that currently has a widened XF diff with drums... so a non modified housing with discs should be improved. hand brake will need to be remade anyway.

I'll vouch for a 3.27, did the conversion and i cant believe i put up with a 2.92 for so long

Is that behind a 250? Mines a 302 but it should help a lot.

Just get the A/F to metric adaptor off ABS brakes and whack a whole EB-ED rear end in it.

The rear calipers assemblies off a XB-XF are an abortion, I can't seem to get the slide pins from seizing :(. EA-ED seize up in the hand brake worm drive but i've rarely seen the slide pins seize.

The bloke im looking at getting the diff off may have a set there apparently. So I'll sell my braided hoses and make another set to suit the new diff I guess. Seems to be the way to go for the least hassles. Do e series brakes give better performance? Or not to noticeable because its the rear?

Much of a muchness, they do rattle around a lot less, but look a bit uglier :)

You will need an EB-ED handbrake cable to suit sedan if u use them brakes... or like me go pfftt!!! I stop with my feet not me hands!

Looks I don't really car about Clint.  Your not going to see them behind the snowies anyway.  As long as they work i'll be happy.  I don't use the handbrake anyway.  The handbrakes in x series are all shite!!

Just get the A/F to metric adaptor off ABS brakes and whack a whole EB-ED rear end in it.

The rear calipers assemblies off a XB-XF are an abortion, I can't seem to get the slide pins from seizing :(. EA-ED seize up in the hand brake worm drive but i've rarely seen the slide pins seize.

Try either PBR rubber grease or, Because the rubber grease is really shitty for squeezing out easily and not protecting, use a suitable grade type anti seize compound.

Im not sure what will suit best, but copper and zinc are usually fairly good as a lubricant being softer than the parent metals

228610d1237658610-spark-plugs-ngk-bosch-

As for the back breaks being better. Well obviously they are not vented. Downside. Upside, a lot cheaper to get slotted rotors for. I got my slotted rotors for $90 ea. I have yet to see how dominant they are now... but before i replaced the rotors, pads and caliper rebuild, the front left wheel would always lock up first under excessively hard breaking.