XDPSI

Clutch time... What type and from where? 4.0 Sohc turbo xd

Hey all,

Time to purchase a descent clutch and from what I've researched it's a very mixed bag. It's for my xd turbo, au motor, au bell housing, ea flywheel, 28 spline toploader. It's all sorted and in the car already. Got a stock clutch in it atm as I thought I'd use it to dummy up and possibly move the car around.

Now the cars a street car, don't want a full button, could probably handle a cushion button from driving a mates car with one. Do I try fit a bf or fg bell housing to fit an 11inch clutch or do I slightly mod the au bell housing to fit the 10.5 inch clutch? Twin plates any good? Etc etc?

What are you other turbo boys running and how's it held up? Power will be 230-250rwkw. Anyone ran a clutch from www.npcperformance.com.au ?

Cheers for the input :)

Mike.

Excedy HD are shit for turbos. Will wear out quick. You will need a custom made one by a guy who knows his shit. 3500 lb brass button with the pivot point moved to make engagement easy. It will still carry on a little like a brass button should, ie with shudder but it will bite and bite hard and work well. But changing the pivot point allows for easy foot pressing and releasing.

Anything else is junk.

I ran a exedy cushion button. And I had the plate modified from more clamping force. In a turbo xf xflow. It worked well.

Yep, that will work too. Either way, mods will need to be made as no standard hd clutch is good for turbos

Hmmm thanks!! It seems like whoever I call and tell them my setup, they never call back! Lol. Couldn't be that hard to make a clutch setup for an au motor, au bellhousing, mated to a 28 spline top loader, in an xd... Lol. I'll take that advice and run with it. Got any places you'd recommend Wes?

Yeh... one guy who helps me with clutch set ups is about to leave the industry. His name is Joe from total clutch and brakes. Call him and tell him Sam with the falcon turbos gave you the contact because he helped me with a brass button custom set up on my own cars.

Explain to him what you have and he might be able to sort something for you to suit as he has a team of engineers and ex touring car experts that work closed doors and make up custom stuff.

Hey guys, slightly related question, does anyone know of or do you think it's possible for a standard ef t5 clutch to be slipping on a n/a xflow making around the 300hp mark???

I used a E series XR6 clutch and that slipped too...then I went to a 4600 stall C4 and 4:11's.

PM Q (crazy) and he can give ya the run down on his.I hate manuals on road cars so I'm no good to you bro...

Is there a trick to tell if its slipping as I can't smell clutch but just have this feeling that its slipping because as soon as it comes on the cam under throttle the pull doesn't seem to quite match the revs..... :/

RPM v's speed on a dyno or open road.Tyre size diff ratio gearbox ratio.Needs atleast two values to compare say at a load/but cruise say 100kph up a hill then stand on it and check speed to see if there is a difference vs tacho read...thats why it would be easier on a dyno...

Gearing can have a effect as well say if it has alot of camshaft and not enough gearing it will rev but go no-where.Say a cam of 250 duration @50th needs 3.7-3.9's to work well really.

I sent Q a PM so lets see if he replies in here.

Xfal was down for me last night.

Anyway, I'm no expert on clutches but I can tell you what I'm using. Its an exceedy sports organic clutch, nothing special. I'm only putting down 220 rwhp at peak with 320 ish nm torque so not as serious. The clutch will spin both my nitto invo 245's on a 3.23 ratio lsd.

If I started to slip the clutch I was going to stick with the same friction plate and swap to a modified pressure plate. I. Have a 6 bolt heavy duty PBR pressure plate that I was gonn get the clamping force upped on but have not needed Too yet.

I have a custom setup hydraulic concentric slave cylinder type clutch actuator that gave me a bit of trouble as the adjustment was out. Clutch was fine for a while then started to slip a lot. After I figured out what was causing it and fixed it the clutch recovered well and after a while came good.

Make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly. It should not be putting ANY pressure on the pressure plate fingers at all. NONE. Even 100 grams of force is enough to cause an issue.

Probably a bit late now but I've smashed the drive straps off 2 6bolt pink exeddy pressure plates , with a cushion button disk . I have around the 300hp mark and 255 tyres .

I'm thinking of trying a spring type pressure plate compared to a diaphragm . Weather or not it will fit in the bell housing I'm yet to find out

I've also seen the "extreme" brand clutches which might also be worth a try

Just came across this post from a while back... I ended up going a cushion button from sunbury brake n clutch. Bolted straight up and has handled every bit of punishment I've thrown at it. I was actually surprised for the price. Around $400 from memory and the clutch feel with a cable setup is surprisingly fine. Very streetable, I just get off the clutch ASAP to not slip it and wear it out quicker. I'm running a close ratio toploader also and the 1st gear is ridiculously tall. So a wide ratio toploader 31 spline setup will be the future box. I really can't knock the clutch at all. Been in the car with my verticle gate hurst shifter from day dot and it's perfect. Maybe once I get some descent rubber under it things may change but on the street it's spot on. Car made 243rwkw also.