Sign in to follow this  
Tom Manning

Diff shortening

I've done it with my old man, slow process and reasonably difficult to achieve but it is possible,unless you've done fab work before I'd use a jig

What I do is machine locators that sit in the axle tube and inner bearing housing run a long peice of chrome bar through the housing . Cut the axle tubes off half way down the tube . Part off the tube to shortended length and weld it back together . As long as you make sure the bar still slides its pretty well inline. Mind you the chrome bar I use it worth 1000 or more dollars and I have a decent lathe as well.

i made a jig to do this. 4 collers 2 on the centre and 2 for the outer bearings. you drop saw the ends cut out what you want to shorten out of it and sit the collers in and then put a steel tube up the guts to hold it all straight and weld

the tube and collers cost about $250 in blank steel and 3 hours work to make it work and fit

most charge 3 times that to cut down a case before even doing axles

I shortened my diff without cutting the housing. pushed the axle deeper into it with some machining. (25mm each end)

At first I thought about cutting the housing and using a sleeve to keep it straight, idea was to cut it about halfway down the axle tube, cut off desired amount , then put the sleeve over the axle tube, the outside diameter of the tube would have to be the same as inside diameter of the sleeve, knock them together and weld the sleeve to the axle tube.

only a idea as I didn't do it and if the "sleeve " can't be bought straight from a steel supplier the cost of making them would make it not worth the effort .

T model axle tubes fit perfectly as a sleeve for narrowed btr's, I prefer to have the sleeve in the same place as the spring pads so the joint is under far less load than if it was in the middle of the axle tube

I shortened my diff without cutting the housing. pushed the axle deeper into it with some machining. (25mm each end)

I worked out I could put up pictures so I thought some off you would be interested to see what my axles look like with the different offset.

this is a picture of original offset, sorry for the poor quality. post-708-0-87517100-1378033211_thumb.jpg

and after. post-708-0-94431300-1378033548_thumb.jpg

my original goal wasn't to shorten the diff but to replace the 25 spline axles with 28's. its a Cortina diff and I used r31 skyline axles. post-708-0-24655000-1378034144_thumb.jpg

I could of sunk them another 10mm but would of had to respline one axle. in total they are 30mm shorter but once the disk is fitted you lose 5mm.