Mr Polson

BTR behind a xflow?

As the title implies, I'm considering putting a BTR behind the xflow in my wagon, I feel a 4 speed would be much better than the BW40.

From what I've heard I can use a standalone trans comp from early e series. Biggest issue I think I'll face will be bell housing and or xmember.

Anyone done this before or seen it done?

Also - are there any differences between the BTR boxes? I know ELs don't have dipsticks, does that apply to all BTRs or just later ones? Any other things to be aware of/lookout for?

The cost of bellhousing mod blows the idea out the window, I looked at it once and only found one bloke that did it, why not just get a rebuilt c4 way better than thr junk bw40

Or source an AOD from the states. As the name implies, it has an overdrive gear and lockup converter. Can be made tough and shift points/line pressure adjustable through valve body mods. Just an option anyway.

Its not gearbox strength I'm after - I believe BW autos to be fine. I know a stock one that sits reliably behind a mild Windsor, has done for years.

Anyway, reason I'm considering a BTR is for the overdrive gear, rather than having top being 1:1 ratio.

I'd rather a BTR than AOD simply for ease of parts if need be.

Its not gearbox strength I'm after - I believe BW autos to be fine. I know a stock one that sits reliably behind a mild Windsor, has done for years.

Anyway, reason I'm considering a BTR is for the overdrive gear, rather than having top being 1:1 ratio.

then go manual if you want overdrive, the amount of work involved on that bell is ridiculous, it would be easier doing a 4l conversion

if you fit a 4 speed auto you will need to change the diff ratio, the 2.77s wont like the BTR gear ratios anyway.,.

with 2.77s in the diff and 3 speed auto it will get pretty much about as good economy its going to get anyway.

if you wanted it to take off quicker by fitting 3.23 diff.. then you would benefit from an overdrive.. (theres a turbo 700 4 speed auto been fitted to a ford 6 in a transit van.. but once again.. cost of doing all the mods will outweigh any economy benefit.)

I will NOT be doing a 4L conversion, I like my tractor motor. Plus, a key reason of buying the wagon was it has recently (less than 10,00km) rebuilt motor.

And I recently spent a decent amount of coin on polished EFI gear.

Don't want a manual, I'm enjoying the laziness of automatic.

Yeah, I did get the polished stuff. Hopefully putting it on this weekend!

Sweet as, I just picked up an efi rocker cover, and just had it polished, but I cant put mine on yet, need braded lines, polished pcv valve, manifold spacer, polished cover bolts etc..

I need to rebuild the throttle body and put in my PCV before I put the cover on, as well as remember to buy a christmas tree (vacuum branch thing) for the plenum chamber...

I also eventually want braided lines.

You should've grinded the cover before having it polished man, would've been easier than the spacer!