Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

Catch can , on a v8, not sure how to go about it

I want to put a catch can on my 351 as it will be boosted later on and i dont really want to run a pcv into the intake anyways, i dont like the idea of oil being in the intake lol

Who here runs a catchcan on a v8? do i run 2 lines one from each rocker cover into the top of the catch can? 

do i need to run a breather?

does it have to be plumbed back into the sump?

I am not 100% sure whether i really need a catch can at all? 

Not a v8, but i have one on my 6. Just run a line from the rocker cover to the can with a breather on top.

I've seen them done a few ways.

1. Breather on each rocker cover

2. One can for each rocker cover
3. One can for both rocker covers

Its really up to you, as long as you can relieve the pressure. And no, generally you dont plumb it back to the sump.

Run a hose from each rocker cover into a t-piece then to the catch can, put a breather on the catch can and either drain it back to the sump or onto the ground.   If you are looking at some high revs then do it, otherwise don't bother.

Run a hose from each rocker cover into a t-piece then to the catch can, put a breather on the catch can and either drain it back to the sump or onto the ground.   If you are looking at some high revs then do it, otherwise don't bother.

wouldnt recommend draining back to sump, mine drains water from condensation when i open the tap

If your engine breaths heavy well i would suggest a 1L catch can for each head and empty them often.You could still run the pcv with a catch can but the can will need to be sealed to prevent vaccum leaks.

I have seen and heard of guys using a mechanical fuel pump as a vacuum source to to catch can that works well.

Rocker cover/s to catch can thru baffles,vacuum line from incoming side of fuel pump to top opposite of catch can thru baffles,exiting side of fuel pump to exhaust collector like a vac u pan system.That should remove every thing and all while using the engine to run it to create a better seal on the rings,better gasket seal and better performing engine all round.

Gunna set this up on the ute as it is free hp...may only be 1-3hp or can be as high as 20 on some big vacuum units so worth a shot I think. 

I have seen and heard of guys using a mechanical fuel pump as a vacuum source to to catch can that works well.

Rocker cover/s to catch can thru baffles,vacuum line from incoming side of fuel pump to top opposite of catch can thru baffles,exiting side of fuel pump to exhaust collector like a vac u pan system.That should remove every thing and all while using the engine to run it to create a better seal on the rings,better gasket seal and better performing engine all round.

Gunna set this up on the ute as it is free hp...may only be 1-3hp or can be as high as 20 on some big vacuum units so worth a shot I think. 

Sounds like it would work, although i dont have the eccentric drive-thing on the cam anymore as the motor is straight lpg lol :(

I think i will run 1 catch can, 1 hose from each rocker, with one hose going to the other rocker, then a t peice , then to the can, with a breather on top, tap on the bottom and some small tube running down onto the 'ground' 

do i need to have fully welded/sealed fittings on the rockers or will gromets/decent seal work?

The main advantage of going thru the exhaust is it creates a vacumm even if it's low and help seal the engine up and it free's up HP.

You can get Y pieces for use on air fittings that may look better and more like it's meant to be there than a T piece would but your idea would work fine.A breather on top would suffice or even if it went to a fitting on the base of the air cleaner so it's totally recirculating.  

The main advantage of going thru the exhaust is it creates a vacumm even if it's low and help seal the engine up and it free's up HP.

You can get Y pieces for use on air fittings that may look better and more like it's meant to be there than a T piece would but your idea would work fine.A breather on top would suffice or even if it went to a fitting on the base of the air cleaner so it's totally recirculating.  

Im gonna just run a breather i think , would a check valve and linking it to the exhaust work at all? Heads---> catch can --- > check valve at top --- > zorst?

Alright, so update 

These arrived today
https://www.aeroflowperformance.com/engine/engine-accessories/valve-covers/fabricated-aluminium/af77-5002blk

AF77-5002BLK.jpg

fuck they are grouse quality! The rib around the base that the gasket seats on is at least 6mm thick! 

I have been impressed with every Aeroflow product i have bought so far

it has 1 female thread on each rocker cover at the front

tommorrow ill order some 1/2" ( dash8 ) hoses and fittings .. its cheaper for me to run it from each rocker cover to the can, because the 2 peices they have plus 2 extra fittings to go on the T ends up way more expensive

the catch can i have is approx 1 litre, prob 1.5 i have not measured it 

it has a drain on the bottom and a breather on the top.. 2 female fittings on the front of it 

i MAY run a PCV from the top of the can instead of the breather, and plumb that back into the base of the carb 

I'd like to see how you make out with this. I'm only running 7lbs of boost, and my motor wizzes oil out of the breathers every time I'm on boost. A catch can is high on my list of things to do.

I'd like to see how you make out with this. I'm only running 7lbs of boost, and my motor wizzes oil out of the breathers every time I'm on boost. A catch can is high on my list of things to do.

What motor / turbo are you running ect ? 

Im still waiting on fittings / hose.. supposed to of been delivered 3 days ago

mine just runs two -12 hoses out of the rocker covers to a can on the side

IMG_20160417_1554491_zpsknuvuik9.jpg

can is this one, but i only paid 90$, bolts up to the bump stop cover bolts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-XR-XT-XW-XY-XA-XB-XC-XD-XE-XF-BREATHER-TANK-CATCH-CAN-AUSSIE-MADE-ATFD-/400682951032?hash=item5d4a90a178:g:500AAOxy0zhTL3HF

I was eyeing off a kit that has that catch can included 

but it will not work with where im gonna put the power steering and turbo 

and for 250$ i could make one that fits better for what im doing , i have it on the passenger side now next to the radiator