Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ivanflo

XE Ghia headlight - integrated fog light?

I may be asking a really stupid question, but my searching of this and the old site has not netted any results. 

My headlights are really dim, but i've gotten use to it over the years, have now just ordered some osram night breaker plus (limited edition) bulbs because they were 'limited', had a gold tip and will hopefully let me see better at night. What's everyones brand preferences? what are we all running? possible solutions for shockingly dim lights?

Having looked at my headlights they seem to have an additional bulb? or lamp, not sure how to put it. Not the front tiny parker lights or the big hella fog lights that I have but an extra reflector and bulb within each headlight. I have figured out that not all xfalcon's had this and am wondering are these an additional high beam? Are they a fog lamp?

I can't seem to get them going, and to my knowledge have never seen them working since I was a kid. (Family car since I can remember) I can get the hella fog lamps going but not those two.

Is it a simple case of a blown globe, stuffed switch, crappy wiring, a combination of all those... or are they just for decoration? (stupid idea?) I have high and low beam at the moment, so what are they there for?

The only reference I have found is the Narva product guide website, which lists a separate hi-beam for XE ghia's and XF's.

they are a spot light, only come on when the switch on the left of the guage pod is pulled out plus on high beam *(maybe your fog lights use that switch now)

XFs have a similar setup and they come on with high beam always (not switched separate) and work amazing*(if the reflectors are any good still). you could wire them to come on at the same time as high beams.

first thing to do.. ADD RELAYS!  stock globes are fine and work VERY well with relays added.(if the rest of the lense/reflectors are good)

Check your reflectors inside the light assy.. are they shiny like a mirror? if not, get them reco'd(pretty sure the bigger one is same as the base model, double check that, they are more common though)

AIMING.. the clips that hold the reflectors on get brittle with age.. possibly broken one and aiming is out.

taking the lense off to access the insides if needed is risky(if you break a ghia lense. you may cry, they are rare and expensive)

clean lenses(glass)(and clean protectors) are needed too.

Ghia lights are brilliant when in good nic, they might be dull due to bad connections too.. pays to have a look at the electrical side being 30 years old.

I have three headlight switches, on on each side of the steering wheel and one next to the boot release button a little further down on the right side. I have tried the combo you said and a whole bunch of others and can't get them to light up, the bulbs look ok, perhaps the switch is stuffed. 

I have three headlight switches, on on each side of the steering wheel and one next to the boot release button a little further down on the right side. I have tried the combo you said and a whole bunch of others and can't get them to light up, the bulbs look ok, perhaps the switch is stuffed. 

what do you turn the fog lights on with?

on S packs, they had fog lights instead of the integrated spot light.. it was from the same switch on the guage pod(left one) in there, 2 plugs are present.. one for fog wiring, one for the driving light. they are wired differently. (fog lights only came on with parkers on XE s packs)

there is a relay that has separate wiring for the fog lights or driving lights. it is near the battery, often the 30 year old fuse holder is rooted.. check that, check it even goes to the battery still.

Dean is on the money with the reflectors. They are the same as the base model lights and after market ones can be bought cheaply to repair your ghia lights.

Check the voltage going to each globe with different switch combinations. If you have 12v and no lights then the globe is kaput.

Also check they are earthed properly cause there are a couple of earths at light end of the looms.

This is my light with an aftermarket reflector fitted.

light003.jpg