ando76

Lost all fwd gears in C4

Okay so as the title suggests the C4 in my burnout car has lost all forward gears.  Was working perfectly but on the last skid I sensed a drop in power.  Drove off the pad and into the pits and sat at idle for awhile.  Went to load it onto the trailer and it went into reverse fine but put it into drive and nothing.  Tried all other gears and no forward motion at all.

Box is standard except for a TRANSGO shift kit (full race option on the springs).  Have put in a new pump bush and convertor seal.  Box was nice and clean inside and the oil is still nice and red as I have a big transcooler with fan in the tray of the ute.

Someone has suggested one of the servos has let go and another suggested sprag clutch.  Anyone got any ideas and my auto knowledge is limited?  Thanks in anticipation. 

an your pump could also be gone, when other things let go its generally due to heat, and c4's overheat when pump is no good, I just found out after having my c4 rebuilt :)

that or a simple fix of low fluid!

pump is all good as I had it out to do the pump bush.  fluid is fine also. goes into reverse still with a solid thud like the shift kit gives it.  Just no fwd gears.  if the pump was shot i'd have no reverse I would think.  thanks for your suggestions tho. 

pump is all good as I had it out to do the pump bush.  fluid is fine also. goes into reverse still with a solid thud like the shift kit gives it.  Just no fwd gears.  if the pump was shot i'd have no reverse I would think.  thanks for your suggestions tho. 

it shouldn't thud to hard into reverse!, mine certainly dosent, full stage 2, performance bands, frictions clutches, heavy duty converter.

next thing youd probably have to look into is selector alignment and play? in the trans itself, or maybe something more serious like the gear sets or planetary  

does your car have a big solid stick and idle at 1200rpm?  let me tell you they shift hard with the transgo full race option when your idle is that high.  Transgo don't do stages like B&M. 

What I can't work out is why this thing failed after the skid and after it had driven off the pad.  The car was parked at idle and then failed on selecting drive not while being flogged. 

Thanks again - I'll keep researching.

Forward clutch application,I'd say if it came on slow then just refuses to work now it could be a valve body issue.If it was clutches it would still go but slowly get worse I'd suggest.Thats my pick anyway as it still has reverse but no 1st gear.

does your car have a big solid stick and idle at 1200rpm?  let me tell you they shift hard with the transgo full race option when your idle is that high.  Transgo don't do stages like B&M. 

What I can't work out is why this thing failed after the skid and after it had driven off the pad.  The car was parked at idle and then failed on selecting drive not while being flogged. 

Thanks again - I'll keep researching.

haha nope, but yeah a transgo kit, heard nothing but bad stuff about b&m

Thanks team.  Selector shaft is all good and everything lined up sweet and it still selects park and engages the parking pin so I'm thinking nothing has changed.  It's a solid rod not cable, but I will triple check selector alignment. 

I'm thinking gregaust is on it.  Looks like the box is coming out again.  Might just get onto summit and order a full re-build kit and do it all this time.  This box has been a nightmare from day one.  I was supposed to be a 'full manual, Kevlar bands, yadda yadda yadda out of a Cortina drag car".  Imagine my surprise when I put it in and it shifted like a normal auto. 

Never mind, if I pull it out and re-build it with all the good bits at least I will know it's all done this time.  Thanks again all.

Oh the poor crown wheel and pinion, I can hear them screaming now.  I'll probably be walking at the next burnout comp thanks to a major f..k by the machine shop on my fully prepped block.  Arghhh!!! 

Aussie dollar is on the way back up so time to get the gearbox sorted in the mean time.  Bigger and better nxt time.