mcfly94

Recommend me a carb for my xflow.

i spoke to engine builder today about what I wanted to do.

Mild cross flow, spin to 6500.

He said I may have trouble safely spinning the standard 250 bottom end to that, but 6000 is doable with balancing.

Straight away he said arp rod bolts.

Even he thought with 230* duration, 550 lift and 110lsa a 465 carby still may overfuel the car.

Doe's he build performance xflows...? I'll say no right now.

A mild x-flow doe's not spin to 6500...thats a full tilt  NAT ASP x-flow

A standard 250 bottom end will turn to 7200RPM just won't last unbalanced,which brings me to the balancing...it is the single biggest most important thing you can do on a x-flow you are going to turn over 6000rpm.Jase Stoodley turns his to 6500ish now days on a 250 crank 250 rods and ACL pistons but all of it is balanced and runs a ATI balancer.I prefer the heavier EF crank and full bottom end balance.Crank,rods,pistons,balancer,flexplate the lot. YOU MUST BALANCE A BIG RPM X-FLOW.I can't stress that enough.

ARP bolts still only go to 25ft lb on a pissy little 5/16th bolt so there is no advantage really.I would use e series bolts and nuts or ARP nuts on E series bolts for the same effect.

Jets change fueling not air flow so go punch him in the face for been stupid.You can run any carby lean or rich and 465cfm is small on a 6500rpm x-flow.600 DP minimum for them revs.Pro Systems quoted me for a 740cfm DP on the same size engine.CFM doesn't over fuel a car and x-flows love big CFM carbs. 

Not what you wanted to hear but it's all the truth...

I wouldn't know.

I definitely got that bit haha, balance my bottom end flexplate to balancer.

he said resize for 302 Windsor bolts and nuts? are Windsor bolts bigger than 5/16"?

Ahkay, so I am definitely safe to get me a 465 for a fairly standard 250, just will need some small jets.

I want to hear anything.

Windsor still use 5/16th uncle...thats the kit you buy to do a x-flow with.

And no it doesn't need small jets it needs to be jetted to suit the engine's needs via a wideband,plug check and so on.

Windsor still use 5/16th uncle...thats the kit you buy to do a x-flow with.

And no it doesn't need small jets it needs to be jetted to suit the engine's needs via a wideband,plug check and so on.

ahkay cool.

Well ive a fitted an innovate wb02, but yet to get some new leads, and plugs, on that note what do I gap the plugs for? think comp is 9:1

why dont you buy the same solid that robdog loves for your motor? just get a head good enough to use the power....

LOL yes I'm the new XrGlen with that cam shaft...Camtech CT 142 646A-106.I love it but it needs ALOT of convertor like 3800rpm,3.9 gears minimum.No more hwy or daily use right there.I use it with 4600 convertor and 4.11's for a even better show.

So you want a HYD cammed engine? Ask Q what he runs (I think it is a 528) as his car has run 14.7 but at 94MPH so it has a 14.2 in it atleast maybe 14 flat.Not bad for a NAT ASP EFI x-flow with a T5 and 3.23 gears.I like the 510 or a small solid but if going auto you NEED a 3000 convertor and 3.7's to get the best out of em.Could run a set of 3.45's if running a smaller tyre though.   

So you want a HYD cammed engine? Ask Q what he runs (I think it is a 528) as his car has run 14.7 but at 94MPH so it has a 14.2 in it atleast maybe 14 flat.Not bad for a NAT ASP EFI x-flow with a T5 and 3.23 gears.I like the 510 or a small solid but if going auto you NEED a 3000 convertor and 3.7's to get the best out of em.Could run a set of 3.45's if running a smaller tyre though.   

sure do, what sort of cam will run best with 3.45, I have 3.27 at the moment but want to run 3.45, don't want any lower.

we run the camtech 510 in chrises beacon nice cam lacks revs but LOL

we also run a 465 on that car

we spun that to 5800 on a super basic engine and to 6500 on NOS

ive run the 528 and i think it lacks size it pulls well but lacks revs althow carb and head and other things will dictate this

lacks size in what area, duration?, whats a good size for a hydraulic cam then? I want something that revs to 6k, makes a fair bit of torque, runs off standard converter with 3.45 gears.

or cant 6k and standard converter go in same setup?

This may sound hypocritical coming from me but why do you want to turn it to 6k if you want it as a daily?

so I can have some fun it, the 4500 isn't enough for me.

you cant realy go over the 517 and even it would bang into gear as it a touch to big, the 214 crow is a little nicer and ive run a few of them

but yes you willl not run the 528 with a stock stall it will stall when you pull it into gear and if it dont it will be a dog and them some till at least 2500rpm

Make sure you valvetrain is up to scratch, and if using a hydraulic cam make sure you use anti pump up lifters, personally I'd go for a hydraulic in a daily over a solid for the simple fact a hydraulic is a lower maintenance cam, but a solid will usually give you a longer power range

You can't run a stock convertor with any performance camshaft and get any good results at 6000rpm unless boosted.

Big cams need big convertors and gearing.Trust me the difference between 3.27 and 3.7 is buggar all in rpm at hwy speed but in engine speed under acceleration it is a fair bit.You can run lower gears to get back some more stomp but a tight convertor will not allow the car to idle or accelerate and will be a b*tch ass POS to drive.

No way around it bud so start looking for a convertor or get Kayver to build a new one for like $500-$700 to suit any cam you choose.They are solid convertors that don't slip or burn out and cheap.A 2nd hand convertor is just that a 2nd hand convertor and IS NOT matched to you combo.

Again you need to consider the term's,combo and package before you go to far cos you need to tweak the lot to get any sort of good results but you can find em.Q's car with that camshaft ran quicker than any other x-flow there on a what was a very basic combo.His combo will keep a GT honest and gave a BA XR8 ute almost a full second head start.Pretty good for a basic x-flow but it is a combo not just a engine.

my crow 14221 cam is a sweet little thing, with some comp 10.1 you can get a good mix of economy and power out of it. My 1700kg wagon down low feels like a stock engine and goes very well between 2,000-4,000rpm.....someone try it for f%$k sake lol 

xeecplipse; that cam would be pretty cool for a stock upgrade, wouldnt be anything crazy but itd be a nice cruiser cam, kinda got its own neiche there, its what stock should have been, much better cam then what they had, or maybe the ESPs n Spacks should have come out with it.... the only issue i have is that its crow, and ive had way to many bad experiences with them, the grind itself though, its pretty nice for a stockish cam.

dont be a pussy put robdogs man cam in :D you know you want to, buy another car for a daily.... like.... a ute on gas, so you can pick up bits for the weekender ;)

go on doooooooooooo it, then when you pull up to the lights you can be like LOLOLOLOLOLCAAAAATCHA!!!

xeecplipse; that cam would be pretty cool for a stock upgrade, wouldnt be anything crazy but itd be a nice cruiser cam, kinda got its own neiche there, its what stock should have been, much better cam then what they had, or maybe the ESPs n Spacks should have come out with it....

dont be a pussy put robdogs man cam in :D you know you want to, buy another car for a daily.... like.... a ute on gas, so you can pick up bits for the weekender ;)

go on doooooooooooo it, then when you pull up to the lights you can be like LOLOLOLOLOLCAAAAATCHA!!!

It's not a neiche cam cause it makes very strong midrange power, where a crossy is happiest. Any shit above this robs low end torque, I've run a few different varieties of cams in Ford's so I know.

yeah no shit its going to move the torque & hp band.... thats exactly what they're designed to do.... and yes it is a neiche cam, look at the LSA, its 109, thats the majority of the midrange kick your feeling right there.

anyways, carby thread, we will discuss camshafts another time :)

go the 465 for now dude.... holley is nice and simple, and a retard can operate them once they understand what does what.

It doesn't matter cos he doesn't want to put enough convertor and gearing in the car to use it.It's the daily/toy car clash he is going thru and a REAL tuff x-flow isn't a daily with correct package.