mcfly94

Recommend me a carb for my xflow.

Hey guys, my weber isn't running the best, idle mixtures inconsistent and all over the joint, some times mixture leans right out.

Like AFR's are 14.7 idle then sometimes between 12 and 15 at cruise and then if I come back to a stop it sometimes gets up to 16.

Want something that I can tune real good to suit my engine.

250 is pretty standard just runs a 2.5" exhaust and extractors, street fire ignition, bigger valves in the head.

What are other options over 350, 500, 465?

What would be the best?

Another Weber.....Stock crossflow = Cast iron turd

a carb that has more than one dial to tune it (how on earth am I supposed get good afr at idle and cruise and wot?), and im not paying someone else to set one up.

The idle circuit mixture adjustment and idle speed screw is all that you should have too touch.

Your volumetric efficiency hasn't improved at all so why put anything else but a Weber on it? Your engine makes no Power past 3,000rpm dude.

The idle circuit mixture adjustment and idle speed screw is all that you should have too touch.

Your volumetric efficiency hasn't improved at all so why put anything else but a Weber on it? Your engine makes no Power past 3,000rpm dude.

no matter how much I play with the tune, I can not get the thing to run well.

and my weber is clean, was fully stripped down and had a major kit put through it.

If you can run an aftermarket manifold a 465 everyday of the week for me.

standard motor?

Maybe your comp is down on 2 and 5??? Does she rattle? Get a new Weber, yours must be stuffed. 

dosen't rattle at all, ill get a compression tester, but im pretty sure the motor is good.

To be a little more guiding to my issue, it only gets real lean when cold mornings, warm day runs fine and dosent stall, just have issue with the idle mixture.

Wonder if old leads would be playing a part in it, and possibly incorrectly gapped plugs.

What ever you buy you want to be able to incorporate it into your up coming engine build. (still think AU 4 litre would be awesome) If you spend $600+ on a carby and manifold and cant use it on your new donk, well you don't need me to tell you "that was a waste of money"

With that in mind, id buy a second hand webber from a working car and chuck it on keep the change for the engine build/conversion ;)

My 5 cents worth. Look for a cheap 350/500 Holley, they are around. I scored one from a swap meet for $10. It is currently serving time (on loan) on a F100. Best ten bucks I ever spent. I've never had a Weber that idled properly after sitting. Yes they are a tremendous carby when they are working, but sadly they are Italian after all. Holley's are piece of piss to tune and are still selling well today because of that.

465 4 barrels are awesome as Clevo 120Y has highlighted but they are thin on the ground. Good luck

Spot on Ando...I had one that was 250 top 200 bottom (or whichever way it was) and re jetted via holley air bleed jets and it was good but it would not idle unless it was warm.Webber on my sedan does all the same things...POS.

I'm pretty sure Mr Ford spent thousands of dollars on R & D, to get the Webber to flow right, for that vehicle, with those flow caracteristics, on that head...etc etc.

Maybe a run on a dyno to see what your engine is doing under driving conditions. Igniton, wiring, vacuum, fuel pump all play a small part in how your engine performs, even at idle.

Just a thought......

Yawn...just put a Holley on it and fix the problem,easy as that.Webber's are great when working but seeing as the carb is now 30 years old and no-one has parts for em there clapped out.Holley on the other hand is still around and still make new parts and can be tuned to suit rather easily...Only question is what are your future plans which will dictate your next purchase.

Hand me downs from USA...........

There are so many carb manufacturers out there, but, everyone picks a Holley. So over rated.

Dellorto, Weber, SU, Carter, Stromberg, Autolite, Barry Grant, Edelbrock...............blah, blah, blah.................

Just my opinion....... :ph34r:

Tell me this doesn't look and perform better.

downdraghtwebers.jpg

Why doe's everyone pick Holleys? Not like they don't work is it? Ford put Webber's on XE's & XF's and they suck massive ass as this thread suggests too.

Point of fact is them Webber's look awesome and your opinion on holley's is fine to have,no arguments about that at all but perhaps suggest a specific carb for him to purchase try and based on your experiences with that brand of carb would get your point across better.Simply because you don't like em not enough reason for the world to abandon holleys after all.

Just my opinion...aswell :)