Server maintenance Read more... ×
krispy

clutch cable reinforcement

After trying a few searches on this forum i couldn't find the info i was after, pretty much i want to know if the off the shelf clutch cable/pedal  reinforcement bracket was still being sold and if so where. cheers.

Didn't know there was an "off the shelf" unit available. The XD Falcon was the only car to have a clutch cable reinforcement bolt off and on the firewall?

(I think the XC had one to but don't quote me) XE, XF had a small tube just welded to the firewall and its so common for it to crack around the area.

So depends what car you want to put it on, I believe a 'custom job' might be in order.

I've made one up (for OXF-085, he made the parts and gave them too me to weld) Not sure how his turned out though, the sheet metal was thin!

XE, XF had a small tube just welded to the firewall

XE's had a bolt on tube Steve, I've only ever seen the welded one on XF/G's.

Grandpa has the bolt on tube.

Hmmmmmm, I am wondering if I should start to make these out of good quality steel in a d.i.y kit. I made one up for both my sedan and ute. It sits over the existing cracked hole and covers about 100mm x 100mm then just screws through the firewall. Works a treat :) wish I knew how to upload pics so i could share my idea.

Similar mate, I measured the angle of which the pipe comes out of the firewall and welded a slightly larger piece of pipe coming off the support plate at the same angle so that the plate and pipe fits snugly over the old hole and the cable pushes force over the new pipe and the steel all at the same time.

My second version had that, it also had a second piece behind the firewall and then bolted together to sandwich the firewall between them

yeah cheers guys, the one i had seen i think was made by a guy in NZ, 5mm stainless with 5mm wall thickness pipe welded to it, i was going to draft up a trail one and see hoe much the laser cutter want to cut some

could add to this with .. 

reinforce the pedal box in a similar fashion

i only have the one photo mid progress, but it got the hole in center welded to the back of the pin and more on the outside.(cooled at times so the plastic didn't melt on the brake pedal shaft)

2D31wym.jpg

overkill would be to weld a sleeve to the brace above, like this one below

DSCF0984.jpg

The above photo was very helpful for me in getting my T5 conversion done, my firewall was already flogged out. I made this bracket from 3mm plate and some round stock. Hope this helps someone. The bolt holes were just placed according to where there were already holes in the firewall.

Here's the state of the firewall:

C1Nyfb0.png

And my bracket:

MQMSa5l.png

twlIxU3.png

avtBpQK.png