Server maintenance Read more... ×
mcfly94

Upgrading alternator? 120A ++?

Many options.

The way i went was fitting the guts of a bosch 120A universal alternator into the alternator housing off an XF crossy. Just gotta drill a couple of holes for the terminals to poke through. Nothing too difficult.

couple hundred. Was 7 years ago when i did mine.

They don't like making power at startup. gotta get a bit of rpm. about 2000, before it starts regulating. So they need to spin a bit faster. But it works. I got it because i was fully sick back in the day and the stezza system kept blowing the guys out of the regulators on my 80A one. Probably because i'm a minder and wasn't replacing the reg's with 80A regs. But we wont go there. Needed something to keep it charged as the stereo system can draw 400A easily if its max chickens.

80A will do in most cases... I think some of the commodore ones fit almost straight on and are 80A????

Theres a place out at Munno Para was that do the alternators already converted for bought $260 i think it was. Ill try and find the name of it for you.

And here it is:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120-Amp-Hi-Output-Ford-EB-ED-Falcon-6-Cylinder-Bosch-Style-Alternator-FREE-Meter-/160981595106?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item257b4033e2&_uhb=1

Just finished the VN-XF 85A Bosch upgrade my self....

A press would have been handy or at least a good vice....

I managed to get it done in the end....

Just need to get the top bearing off the XF stator and put it on the VN one... Bottom is the same...

Havent fitted it to the car yet..

Need to get some 4G Wire and crimps to upgrade the output wire and fit it to the car...

Very interested in this mod if you care to share how you went about it.

Did you have/buy a known good VN alternator?

Has it been checked for good operation?

What size XF alternator did you start with?

Did you have to modify the body of the XF alternator at all?

Very interested in this mod if you care to share how you went about it.

Did you have/buy a known good VN alternator?

Has it been checked for good operation?

What size XF alternator did you start with?

Did you have to modify the body of the XF alternator at all?

Would say it's similar to this process?

http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/38449-How-To-Fit-A-VN/EA-Alternator-To-A-Clevo

Tpak should do a OzFalc DIY on it...

Its very similar....

I sourced mine from U-Pullit (I guess pick a part in other states)....

Took the stator and windings out the VN Alternator as stated in the other thread. Pulledt the XF Alternator completely apart so was only left with the raw casings, Drilled out the Batt+ so the bigger VN one would fit thru. Put the XF bearing assembly into the XF top casing again after I checked it was OK. Mounted the VN windings in the XF case (lower bearing in the stator is the same as XF) put stator in lower case and put the top casing on and fitted the pully assembly back on.

Now just need some 100Amp wire to rig to the battery and wire into the idiot light (Will use a spade connector) when I fit it to the car....

Hopefully it will all work OK....

Double check all the insulators are in place when feeding the windings in the casing on the BATT+ too! I nearly forgot myself. Even double checked with a mulitimeter after I was done....

All done and fitted....

Works a treat.....

Just had to change the terminal on the yellow wire to a bigger connector and that was a pain but overall pretty happy...

The little loom I made for the 2 pin connector worked well and can revert it back easy enough if needed.

So would an 85amp alternator be enough to keep the car happy with Thermos? Was looking at the proflow 140amp ones but it's 1 wire and from what ever read that's not advisable so looking for a 3 wire alternative.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Don't know if Mustang parts are readily available there- I used a '95 alternator from a parts store, and a 3 wire repair pigtail. 1 wire to keyed 12v power, 1 wire the old field wire, 1 wire jumps to itself. 130 Amps, dead easy, internal regulated, bolts in place of the 65A external regulated alternator. I can post up pictures and some links to the wiring if it would help.

So would an 85amp alternator be enough to keep the car happy with Thermos? Was looking at the proflow 140amp ones but it's 1 wire and from what ever read that's not advisable so looking for a 3 wire alternative.

Is that 140amp one wire to suit XD and older?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this proflow 140 is starting to look like nonsense they quote the same measurements for the mounting holes for xflow windsors and clevos. I'm no expert but I don't think they would all be identical mounts?