ando76

wagon leafs into ute?

well as the title suggests I was wondering if you can put wagon leaf springs into a ute.  I have an xf ute that I want to drop about 2.5 inches.  I see the flipping the springs thread and this is an option but I also have the leaf springs out of an EF wagon I could use. 

The wagon springs appear to be a bit longer and only have four leaves.  My xf ute springs have six leafs.  anyone got an idea?

I got a set of XH ute springs hoping that they would lower it without flipping leaves as they sat almost dead flat  as it was with no load in the back and they are also mounted on brackets under the chassis rails, so if you mounted them up beside the rails like in an earlier ute they should drop it some more.  I need to give it a try one day.

Ute/wagon are same length, sedan is around 5 inches shorter (I measured both my XB coupe and my wagon).

I'm doing this swap but opposite (ute springs to XE wagon). It currently has ridiculously high-set springs thus the reason for swapping. I'm worried about it still sitting too high. On a 5-leaf pack, which leaf would you remove to drop it maybe an inch or so?

Thanks team.  Looks like I'll be a busy today swapping spring packs. 

Gerg - from reading the flipping leaves thread they suggest you remove the smallest spring and flip it to the top for a 1.5" drop.  second spring drops it 4.5". 

Not sure about EF to XF.

Yeah I thought one end of the EF leaf spring (one of the spring eyes) was completely different to XF spring eyes?

I was gonna use EF wagon springs in my XD  but couldn't because one spring eye on the EF leaf spring were massive in size compared to XD.

I would think XF the same.

Let us no how you go with the change.

Gerg - from reading the flipping leaves thread they suggest you remove the smallest spring and flip it to the top for a 1.5" drop.  second spring drops it 4.5". 

Perfect do this...4.5" bro!!!

Yeah I thought one end of the EF leaf spring (one of the spring eyes) was completely different to XF spring eyes?

I was gonna use EF wagon springs in my XD  but couldn't because one spring eye on the EF leaf spring were massive in size compared to XD.

I would think XF the same.

Let us no how you go with the change.

yes the front bush is oval in shape on the EF - not round like the XF, but as best as I can work out the mounting points are the same.  I did not get around to the swap yesterday, I fitted up the shift kit into the c4 instead and had a trial run (see videos section).  I intend on doing this on Tuesday after taking some measurements of the front spring mount on the EF and XF.  Would like to have done it today but the convertor seal is pissing out fluid after yesterdays effort, guess that's what happens when autos sit in a shed for years and then are pulled into service. 

I will let you know how I go with the spring change but I'm not expecting any problems as Lord F has already done this.

Yes Sly it will be going down at the back.  At this stage I'm looking at flipping the bottom spring on the wagon leaf pack and see how that goes.  I actually want it to sit lower than the front just for that drag look whilst doing skids. 

beautiful, was just about to start a topic about this. i need to do something about my ride, it rides over bumps and then bounces down the road like a boat in choppy water! great when you have a busty girl in the passenger seat though

OK so I have got the wagon springs out and flipped the bottom leaf as per the instructions in the suspension section. Drew it out on the ground and there is a 2.5inch difference after the flip. The ute comes off the trailer tomorrow for the spring swap. I've measured the mounting point on the EF and it this stage it looks the same as XF. Final measurements will be done tomorrow.

envyxf I will not be able to tell you what difference it makes to ride quality as my ute is built for one purpose which means I can not legally drive it on the road. I so want to but I reckon I'd get two blocks before someone complained.

Stay tuned for result of this experiment. I seriously hope I haven't induced axle tramp, but I think the flipped bottom spring will stop this and conversation with my local suspension guru have confirmed this.

Despite moving the axle centreline higher above the spring (creating more leverage to cause spring wind-up), I think axle tramp should be overall reduced as you're drastically firming up the spring.

If you're worried about ride quality, give the springs a bit of a grease-up between leaves, then wipe off and paint over the lot. Leaf springs ride so much better when they can slide nicely over each other when working.

16 with DDs???   my imagination is going overboard :D

hahaha, i don't have to imagine anymore ;) the fun of being eighteen with a hot car haha

My gosh must be something they are putting in the chicken these days. I think we need some photos in this thread. Pictures of the springs or envys 16 year old? anyone????

You should get some before and after pics up to Ando...My ute hasn't tramped and it's down to 3 leaves and 2" blocks from memory? But not for long cos I'll be in 4 Link town soon enough...

Ok so got a bit of spare time this arvo and pulled the old springs out. Unfortunately the front eye bolt had decided to weld (rust) itself to the metal sleeve of the bush meaning the trusty 5" grinder had to come out. I thought the sedan bolts I had at home would be sweet but they were a bit small so I have to run into town in the morning to rescue the bolts from the wagon.

I did dummy bolt it all up and yes it all fits like a glove. The EF wagon u bolts are bigger than the XF and the plates on the shackles are a little thicker than XF so a bit of a strength win there.

The oval front eye bush fits nicely into the XF recess as well, so basically it is a straight swap, just remember to keep the all the bolts from the EF donor if you are doing the swap in case your front eye bolt is screwed like mine.

I have sent Slydog some before photos and a photo of the difference between the two u bolts. He will post them up later as I am a techno gumby.

After shots will be up tomorrow PM as I have to retrieve the bolts and get it back down on it's wheels, after I do a few house chores to earn man minutes.

Saddles and bolts...

IMG_6288_zpsdc9b3f67.jpg

Before height...

IMG_3346_zps5c0300bd.jpg

And just for jokes after burnout...

IMG_2762_zpsdd3947e2.jpg

There is another before shot but I can't get it to transfer  yet for some reason...?

Anyway Ando will fill you all in on what's doing.