Sign in to follow this  
P100_Ute

Aircraft Tug

Good ol f-truck engines, I know a few.people who have replaced them with a clevo and were severely disappointed

they have a loyal following in the States, where MPG and longevity are most important. Try 500,000 miles and 22 MPG... and can be made to boogie with a decent carby and manifold. Gear driven camshaft too. I wonder how well they'd transplant into an X-Series Falc.

yes id like to see one in a xfalcon but the cost of parts and finding the parts is another thing and aren't they a bit longer? but their built to last and rev their guts out

A 240 might rev a bit but a 300 is definitely a chugger. Over 4500 is getting into the danger zone. But they're all about torque, with a long stroke and V8 pistons. I reckon a boosted one would be off its tits. Later ones are EFI, so some nice manifolds are available. EFI exhausts are the go too, they're a twin branch that people like to split into separate exhausts each side for a bit of rumble. Each to their own but I'm not a fan.

Shouldn't be too hard to shove one in a Falcon, just piss off the fan and put thermos in, maybe set it back an inch or so, sump could be a drama.

Pre-crossflow's must the choice for Tugs. Cairns Speedway just bought an ex-aircraft tug for ,hmm i'm not quite shore - shits and giggles probably, and it is powered by an Australian pre-crossflow 250. Shows just how much of a torque monster these engines are.

As a wise man once said "Horsepower sells motor cars - Torque wins races!"