Just pulled the speedo sender out of the single rail gearbox, which I believe came out of a XF

The part number is 1R23-17B353-AA, Does anyone know what this is originally from? XD-XE of XF?

Cheers

that was what we found from research, all the middle numbers are the same, 17B353, but the front and back are different. Could it be an aftermarket part? 

they are actually different(the one on the ebay ad and the xf sender i had), the sender unit is different and the wires are also a different colour. Both units are made by bosch and the plug is exactly the same. I used the one in the link to replace the leaking one i had and it works perfectly.

Just pulled the speedo sender out of the single rail gearbox, which I believe came out of a XF

The part number is 1R23-17B353-AA, Does anyone know what this is originally from? XD-XE of XF?

Cheers

is the wire cover red or black?(assuming its from ford) i have no idea on part numbers.

red = XF onwards, (10 pulse per tailshaft rev)

black = XD or XE (8pulse per tailshaft rev)

The fact that it has the same middle numbers makes me think it is an aftermarket part put on a while ago. But the wires coming out are also a completely different colour :/ 

Is there anyway to test the sender to see the pulse per rev without actually driving it and looking at the speedo? 

yeah
its fidly,

i just tested the XF one using this method

(black =negative, white = signal, and the other is 12v+)

rotating the speedo gear a full rotation showed a voltage(2ish) then 0 volts 10 times so that should help.. 

17B353 Ford part number that just means it is a speedo sender.

The 84, 78, 86, 87, 92, 94 or any other number is the year the part was first intended to be realeased. This was used by Ford Australia up until around AU then they started using 1R, 1W, or some thing similar. The yanks used a similar system to us.

The D is for Falcon or Fairlane, the vehicle for what the part was originaly used in.

A = Ford Australia.

AA = Revisiion number for that part, could be AA, A1A, AB or anything similar.

I copied this from the other site it is talking about ECUs but it should give you the idea.

The numbers after 84DA are the part number for whatever the part is.

Below is the number for a Unleaded EFI Manual ECU.
E.G. 86DA 12A650 B1A
86= 1986 First year this version of the part was introduced.
D = Falcon or derivitive (fairlane LTD etc)
A = Australia
12A650 = ECU
B1A = revision number.

Unleaded EFI Autos have the revision number A1A (off memory), with the whole number been 86DA 12A650 A1A.
This is basicly what the numbers mean.

Thanks that was pretty helpful :)

It looks like it is from an AU 2, Dad found an Gumtree ad that had the exact same part number as this one.

Now all I have to do is test it to see if it will work with the speedo.

It will be an AU series one forte non ABS sendor. AUII onwards had ABS as standard and did not run thr transducer but got the wheel speed from the PCM

Except for Ute up until bf mark 2

Thanks that was pretty helpful :)

It looks like it is from an AU 2, Dad found an Gumtree ad that had the exact same part number as this one.

Now all I have to do is test it to see if it will work with the speedo.

what car is it going in? if ZJ, it will read the speedo 20% faster if its a 10 pulse transducer.(depending on gear fitted and diff ratio)

So if its an AU it will be 10 pulse?

According to dad it has an adjuster on the back so I am going to do that test and see if I can make it work at 8.

The cluster is originally out of a ltd, I am pretty sure it was a 6 but would have to check.  

So if its an AU it will be 10 pulse?

According to dad it has an adjuster on the back so I am going to do that test and see if I can make it work at 8.

The cluster is originally out of a ltd, I am pretty sure it was a 6 but would have to check.  

i assume it will be 10 pulse, XF EA EB ED are 10 so i would assume so.

the speedo has a trim adjustment, but it wont make a 20% difference i dont think.

wont matter if it was 6 or 8 only the tacho will be out if it doesnt match(that is adjustable but i havent dont it yet)

i have an 8 pulse XD/XE sender here if you get stuck.. would have to check it before i was comfortable sending it though(been buried in a box of junk for 10 years.)

On 06/07/2013 at 3:39 PM, deankdx said:

i assume it will be 10 pulse, XF EA EB ED are 10 so i would assume so.

the speedo has a trim adjustment, but it wont make a 20% difference i dont think.

wont matter if it was 6 or 8 only the tacho will be out if it doesnt match(that is adjustable but i havent dont it yet)

i have an 8 pulse XD/XE sender here if you get stuck.. would have to check it before i was comfortable sending it though(been buried in a box of junk for 10 years.)

Still got the 8 pulse transducer available?

32 minutes ago, BobStrop said:

Still got the 8 pulse transducer available?

nah, long gone.. i've moved 3 times since that post above sorry..

i gave a lot of stuff like that away rather than chucking it out at least

12 hours ago, deankdx said:

nah, long gone.. i've moved 3 times since that post above sorry..

i gave a lot of stuff like that away rather than chucking it out at least

No worries