Server maintenance Read more... ×
Clevo120Y

Crossflow ignition systems

Nice. Only suggestion I have. Move the coil way closer to the dizzy. I would think that there would be a very measurable voltage drop between the coil and dizzy in current form. Crazy or one of the electrical heads on here maybe able to confirm.

Well done bud and yes the bigger the spark the better the power output but also every other aspect of it improves. Starts better,gets better milage,revs better,makes more HP there is no downside.  

Cheers rob looking forward to some more tuning as theres a lot of improvement to go

Nice. Only suggestion I have. Move the coil way closer to the dizzy. I would think that there would be a very measurable voltage drop between the coil and dizzy in current form. Crazy or one of the electrical heads on here maybe able to confirm.

Thanks Ando, definitely keen to hear some thoughts on this. Might take the car out tonight its been a couple of weeks and need to take a break from this screen

You could work it out via ohm law or V = I x E but TBH the run is not long enough to show any loss IMO. Plus mine is in the cab and I gained HP over the 6AL2 with a longer coil leed than yours.

I'd suggest you would drop around 0.25% of a volt without working it out,but voltage is not the key here amps are. 

It might be a drama depending on what kind of lead you're using. If it's a carbon core one (resistance type) you might loose a bit of oomph but if it's a spiral wound or magnetic type, it could be 100 metres long and not be a problem. Regardless, a multiple spark cdi could get a housebrick to ignite I reckon.

Oh and I'll say it again... Don't zap yourself with that fucker. Bloody doesn't tickle!

You could work it out via ohm law or V = I x E but TBH the run is not long enough to show any loss IMO. Plus mine is in the cab and I gained HP over the 6AL2 with a longer coil leed than yours.

I'd suggest you would drop around 0.25% of a volt without working it out,but voltage is not the key here amps are. 

Assuming you have good leads, Comparatively the length of the ignition cable WRT spark loss is minimal and not worth considering.

I say comparatively because the airgap in the distributor has a MUCH higher resistance than the lead, followed by around 5kohm in the spark plug, followed by another air gap, under pressure which is the highest of the bunch. Calculating the resistance of the airgaps is quite difficult. but IF you could then Robs on the money with ohms law. However the more energy the spark has the better. You need volts to jump the plug gap, and current to maintain the arc. I'll stop myself there before this post gets out of hand.

You might ask yourself then "Do good spark plug leads even matter?" Well, yes. They are typically several times more conductive than a factory lead. and will make a small but measurable difference to the spark. But under most circumstance you wont notice any difference. Unless your right on the edge of spark breakdown. Then it might give the spark enough of a boost to get over that.

What I would be more worried about is interference if you are running an ECU or other sensitive electronics nearby.

Thanks heaps crazy. Great explanation. It must be the old school in me when leads were shit and you use to make the distances short as possible. Technology has caught up. like I've always said, my electricity skills are junk.