Grimmy

Single rail jammed !

The old single rail decided to jam between 1st and reverse gear . It will go backward or lock all the gears up . Any ideas how to get it un-jammed ?

Or is it a box out job ..

If you suspect it's the linages hit it with a can of lubricant, toploader did the same a few years back and thought it was toast until someone gave me the tip that they heat up them old boxes and dry themselfs out, ** don't read into that too much, no double meaning there haha **

The old single rail decided to jam between 1st and reverse gear . It will go backward or lock all the gears up . Any ideas how to get it un-jammed ?

Or is it a box out job ..

Sorry mate, but it's a box-out. There are no external linkages except for the single shift rail (hence the term "single rail"). Under the top lid, there is a shift pin that sticks out the shift rail that engages with whatever shift fork it is shifting.

This pin slides back and forth (with the shaft) inside a slot in an interlock spool that holds all the other forks in neutral except for the gear you've selected. This spool is held in place by a slot in a stamped steel bracket welded inside the lid you've just pulled off. If either the slot or the spool were to become worn, the bracket damaged from poor assembly, or the cover itself distorted, the spool might jump out of the slot allowing you to get more than one gear at once.

Single rails are like two stroke engines. They're incredibly simple but the few carefully made parts all have to work together perfectly or it gets ugly pretty quickly.

^ hes bang on.... had it happen to mine. so i spent $20 and got another one... was cheaper than fixing it, then i fixxed the broken one and sold it for 400$ not bad considering the whole rebuild cost me $250

Wow not often you have a win like that!

sold it to a workshop, they needed it for an XF. right place right time, was cheaper for me to sell it to them for that much then they rebuild themselves.

only took me a day to do. that was new synchros etc....

i'll be doing a write up on rebuilding a toploader and 9" soon.

Thanks for the replys . I only put the box in last weekend , looks like its coming out again .

Any one know why the old box was throwing out of 2nd on de-celeration and reverse all the time ?

I think it's something is the box , coz I replaced the saddle n shifter nut not long ago . Syncros maby worn ? I don't kno wat to look for . I'm going to try and make a good box out of 2 over the weekend

It is your second gear syncro that has caused your box to fail. The first indication should have been crunching when going into reverse. If you have spare boxes you just take the first gear synchro out and fit it into your second gear position.

I have a couple gear boxes and should be in Cowra in a few weeks if that helps!