Server maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SPArKy_Dave

XE Wagon - Borg Warner 40 Reverse Gear Problemo

With one of my x-series, (an 84 XE wagon) the auto trans is behaving weirdly.

All forward gears are perfect, hot or cold trans.

Reverse gear is perfect when cold.

BUT...... when the transmission is up to temperature, when selecting R for backwards..... :P..... there is a delay of 1-2 seconds, before reverse gear engages.

Once engaged, it operates normally.

I have done two checks -

checked the fluid level (correct and clean)

checked the kick down cable for correct adjustment.

Before I go any further into it, has anyone on here experienced this problem, and found the cause?

Not an auto expert, but it sounds like a piston seal on the reverse servo is getting a bit leaky. When the fluid is cold and thick, the seal leaks less so you get more fluid actually pushing on the piston, thus quicker engagement. When it's hot, the fluid has thinned out so the piston leaks more and the piston stroke takes longer.

If you don't mind doing a full overhaul down the track, try some automatic transmission conditioner. It contains chemicals that cause your old and hard/shrunken seals to swell up and seal again, but doing this is a one-way trip. It's because the seals swell so much that you'll have to replace the whole lot of them if you pull the box down, as you'll never get them back into the piston/servo again. Sounds bad but let's face it, to pull a box down to do one seal and not completely overhaul it is just silly anyway.