gerg

Any Borgie Diff Experts?

My XE wagon should really have a limo disc brake rear, being a V8 and all. There's an open centre 3.23 from an XH ute up for sale, complete with ute springs... But first I have a couple of questions:

- I have a limo centre with 2.92 crown attached. Can I swap the 3.23 crown to that, and will that limo centre fit in the housing?

- Are ute springs same length as wagon?

- Can I use a ute handbrake cable, and if not, what one do I need?

- Will there be dramas with brake line fittings (metric/imperial)?

- Apart from removing the Residual line pressure valve, will my disc/drum master cylinder be suitable for the rear disc conversion?

That's about it. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

All borg warner hemispheres will fit any series housings with the exception of the hemi that is coupled to the 2.77 crown and pinion.. that only suits that gear. You need to be sure of ur spline count also and dont mix match bearings and cases.

All borg warner hemispheres will fit any series housings with the exception of the hemi that is coupled to the 2.77 crown and pinion.. that only suits that gear. You need to be sure of ur spline count also and dont mix match bearings and cases.

Thanks mate, I've done up a couple of Borgies before and of course I plan on using new bearings throughout. Just checking interchangeability that's all.

My 2.92 LSD is out of an EA S-Pack so is only 2-pinion, therefore it's a 25-spline... Only 4-pinion centres have 28-splines, right?

Ive seen 4 Pin centres with 25 spline axes and 2 Pin LSDs with 28 spline axles too.  Also the odd pursuit vehicle with 0578 housings and 0575 carriers with a special pinion bearings to adapt one to the other... I wish i could find that part number on that bearing as it saves shimming

Thanks n00bus great info. Just when you thought Ford had some kind of system going... I'm guessing those special 0575 centres were for highway patrol 351 XDs with 2.78 gears and LSD.

From eb series 2 on falcon budgets should be 28 spline 4pin, but I have seen one or two that contradict that (both were 3.27 ratio)

Thanks n00bus great info. Just when you thought Ford had some kind of system going... I'm guessing those special 0575 centres were for highway patrol 351 XDs with 2.78 gears and LSD.

Yeah 2.77 ratio in 0578 housing with 28 spline centre

From eb series 2 on falcon budgets should be 28 spline 4pin, but I have seen one or two that contradict that (both were 3.27 ratio)

I went to the wreckers yesterday and found that utes/vans seemed to have 3.27 whereas wagons had 3.23. None were LSD of course, they don't last long in that place. I don't even know if wagons came with LSD except maybe with heavy tow pack or V8 option. And you never know if someone's swapped a diff over some time in the vehicle's life.

Ok got the complete diff, disc to disc with ute springs, $149 from ebay... Not bad! I pulled the cover off, turned out to be a 3.27 4-pinion. The axles dont turn together so I'm assuming that it's not an LSD, otherwise it's a stuffed LSD.

It's really hard to find info on Borgies, and a lot of it I do find is bullshit. I need to know, once and for all, if I can tell by looking at the centre if it's an LSD housing without dismantling it.

From what I can gather so far, limos have an inner circle of smaller bolts around the hemisphere inside the crown wheel bolts. If the hemisphere doesn't have these, is it then an open centre?

We've established that flat-flange yokes mean 28-spline axles. I have a 2-pinion, 25-spline LSD centre but no disc brake axles to suit. Can I use drum brake axles on a disc setup?

Ok got the complete diff, disc to disc with ute springs, $149 from ebay... Not bad! I pulled the cover off, turned out to be a 3.27 4-pinion. The axles dont turn together so I'm assuming that it's not an LSD, otherwise it's a stuffed LSD.

It's really hard to find info on Borgies, and a lot of it I do find is bullshit. I need to know, once and for all, if I can tell by looking at the centre if it's an LSD housing without dismantling it.

From what I can gather so far, limos have an inner circle of smaller bolts around the hemisphere inside the crown wheel bolts. If the hemisphere doesn't have these, is it then an open centre?

We've established that flat-flange yokes mean 28-spline axles. I have a 2-pinion, 25-spline LSD centre but no disc brake axles to suit. Can I use drum brake axles on a disc setup?

I just took my XF diff out, let me know if you're interested.

Thanks mate the one I just bought is from an XF ute. Confirmed today it's 28 spline 4-pin open centre.

My 2-pin 25 spline LSD is on the left, 4-pin open 28 on the right:

u5edysu8.jpg

My diff housing squasher:

depe7upe.jpg

Is it cheaper/easier to find some 25-spline disc brake axles, or try and find a 28-spline LSD centre?

Go to the wreckers and Look for a 6 cyl e series Fairmont Ghia or fairlaine they all had 28spline 4 pin LSD from the factory

What about rebuilding them?

It's not real hard to do of you have a lathe, I'm doing one in a couple of weeke I'll do a tutorial at the time

It's not real hard to do of you have a lathe, I'm doing one in a couple of weeke I'll do a tutorial at the time

I've always wondered how they do this. I'll be looking forward to that.

And whats it like just changing the bearings in the diff, and leaving the diff centre alone? im looking at picking up a second hand ed xr 3.45 lsd and replacing the bearings just so I know there good/

And whats it like just changing the bearings in the diff, and leaving the diff centre alone? im looking at picking up a second hand ed xr 3.45 lsd and replacing the bearings just so I know there good/

I've never mixed and matched bits from different diffs, hence my questions on the subject. I have, however done up a few using the same bits from the original, so I could try and describe that process.

Axle removal is basic, but a trick to whack them out is to use the disc/drum as a slide hammer by turning it inside out and installing 3 wheel nuts a couple of turns onto the ends of the studs.

To get the centre out you'll need some sort of housing spreader, to release the preload on the carrier bearings. I've made a couple of diff preload tools as pictured previously. The factory-type tool is probably better in that it locates two pins into each of the holes either side of the housing face and a threaded bar is wound out and pushes the housing apart, releasing the preload.

My one mimics this action not by directly spreading the diff but squashing it top and bottom. Sounds wacky but I can tell you it works. You just need a shitload of force to do it, as you can see on mine, the force needed has bent it out of shape slightly and the paint has flaked off where the top and bottom plates have kinked.

Getting the carrier bearings off the diff without a press is doable, you just need some fine grinding skills. You need to grind a groove right down almost though the bearing cone then smack it with a decent size hammer and chisel to put a crack in it. It should walk off once you've done this. Same goes for axle bearings, just DONT hit the axle with the grinder. You're just asking it to break at that point later on.

Diff pinion pushes through into housing once the yoke is off and carrier is out, cups should knock out with a long, soft drift into the little slots behind each one in the housing.

There you go... Assembly later. I'm off to sleep.

What about rebuilding them?

I should specify rebuilding the LSD itself not the whole diff

Ok reviving...

That 2-pin LSD centre I installed just shit itself. Hemisphere bolts all sheared off and walked out into the housing and cap. Made a proper mess.

My brother has a theory that the 2-pinion diff is insufficiently strong to deal with 3.27 gears and 6-cyl gearbox ratios, coupled with V8 torque. I just don't know how I could have fucked it up putting it together for this to happen.

Anyone experienced this?