Server maintenance Read more... ×
gerg

Any Borgie Diff Experts?

IMO id buy a 28spline/4 pinion diff thats open center and install a LOKKA into it for ~500$. saves getting a second hand lsd that could be on its way out ect ect

IMO id buy a 28spline/4 pinion diff thats open center and install a LOKKA into it for ~500$. saves getting a second hand lsd that could be on its way out ect ect

Yeah been looking at the Lokka centres, they sound tough but I'm worried about the clunking/shunting and general roughness of operation, particularly in a family car like mine.

I've shoved in a 2-pin one-legger for now, so far going well, no groans or clunks. I'll leave it at that while I take my time and build a 28 spline with the bits I have.

It's still got me stuffed why the limo centre failed. I don't do burnouts and I generally don't abuse my cars.

I will be going a lokka in my car. They can a little noisey but only at slow speed when turning ie carpark. They can be smooth in operation if you adjust to driving with them.

I've heard lockers can be a bit dangerous in the wet, especially if you back off quickly when approaching corners. I've only ever had lsd diffs so can't say for sure but it's just what I've heard. A bloke told me that his missus lost control in the wet coz he had a locker in his car. Dare I say it? Women drivers...... Nuff said

Lockers are dangerous on the road, but again you have to drive knowing what you have. That being said the Lokka is a brand name of an auto locker which must be placed into an open centre diff. The diff acts as an open diff until a certain amount of torque is applied to the diff centre then it locks. There for it is completely legal, a lot of four wheel drives have these in them.

Lockers are dangerous on the road, but again you have to drive knowing what you have. That being said the Lokka is a brand name of an auto locker which must be placed into an open centre diff. The diff acts as an open diff until a certain amount of torque is applied to the diff centre then it locks. There for it is completely legal, a lot of four wheel drives have these in them.

Oh righto, sorry mate my bad. I didn't know about the LOKKA brand and how it worked. Had just been told about the other type.

Yeah they sure sound appealing, better than buying a second hand lsd and taking the gamble that it's not flogged out. I've been lucky so far, the ones I've bought have been good but you can never be sure of what you're getting.

Fairmont Ghia, ltd's and xr6 all came standard with an LSD (6 cylinders that is, most v8's were open diffs

all of the ltds and fairlanes (da,dc,nc ect ) ive had were lsd , the da/nc's seemed to be 3.27

Depends what you mean by lokka.

If your after a device that locks the axles under torque load but unlocks while you turn corners(operates like an open centre diff when cornering with no throttle) so therefore completely legal modification the parts you after is made by 4wd systems australia or harrop eaton true-trac. They act as a full locked centre when torque is applied with no clutches and therefore no slipping or rebuilding of clutches in the centre like in an lsd, but operate like an open centre diff when off throttle and going around corners.

If your after an lsd the options are Kaaz or factory lsd.

Then you have full spool or mini spool produce by several companies.

These are the only options available for an e series 28 spline axle diff.

None of the above options other than factory lsd fit 25 spline axle diff found standard in all x series diffs.

I mean an aussie locker yes like they use in 4wd,i have never seen 1 for a ford 0578 ?

I've looked at these as an alternative and yes they do make them for 0575 and 0578 diffs. You use an open centre carrier (not lsd) and they apparently work well. You just need to adjust your driving style a bit due to the slightly more harsh way they come in and release when compared to a cone lsd. Might induce a bit of initial understeer then power oversteer but never driven one. Just read a lot of opinions and overall seem good.

Update: just saw their website and I can't see any Borg Warners listed. Their site seems to be very US market-oriented. I know they exist for borgys though. Might be worth just calling them.

78 series borg warner diff is 28 spline diff found in every single falcon from eb11 to ef falcon( AU is same diff but different offset). So everthing that I said above is relevant to 78 series 28 spline axle diff.

The only legal locker is 4wd systems or harrop true trac. They both operate as a full locker when power applied and operate as open diff when no power applied.

All other options are either lsd or version of a spool.

I've looked at these as an alternative and yes they do make them for 0575 and 0578 diffs. You use an open centre carrier (not lsd) and they apparently work well. You just need to adjust your driving style a bit due to the slightly more harsh way they come in and release when compared to a cone lsd. Might induce a bit of initial understeer then power oversteer but never driven one. Just read a lot of opinions and overall seem good.

As far as Im aware 4wd systems only make a lokka(lokka is the brand that 4wd systems make which suits 4x4 as well as borg warner diffs) centre to suit 28 spline axles only therefore it only suits e series falcon and vl turbo diffs.

Don't true track make one?

Technically no, eaton dont make a centre to suit either e or x series diff. Harrop have independantly developed an eaton true trac centre that fits borg warner 78 series diffs(EB11 to AU falcon as well as vl turbo diffs) but it is only available through harrop, if you look at overseas sites none of them list centres to suit 78 series borg warner diff.

Should be able to retrofit all the bits into the old housing. I shoved 25 spline axles and centre into an XH housing that started out as 28 spline 4-pin, no probs.

i looked ages ago and couldnt find anything thats why i was asking.

Search lokka on youtube to see a heap of video's about installs and ticking issues related to it. 4wd systems lokka has been around for nearly 10 years at least so plenty of info on it around(popular with e series and vr/vs commo owners) harrop true trac is nearly $1200 without install costs and is a newer item on the market so info is pretty limited on actual operation.

Should be able to retrofit all the bits into the old housing. I shoved 25 spline axles and centre into an XH housing that started out as 28 spline 4-pin, no probs.

Might be a silly question but why wouldnt you just put an e series diff in instead of finding 28 spline axles ect to fit inside a 25 spline housing.

The housings look identical as far as I can tell so what is the advantage in doing to 28 spline into 25 spline housing mod?

im starting to get a good collection of borgy diffs and parts,im going to get a ea diff tomorrow and strip it ,then put ef 28 spline axles and flange if it will fit.only because i can get it really cheap