Sign in to follow this  
blackxt

two speed power glide .

Who noes about powerglides I'm looking at getting one for my ba. I had planed on a c4 but have changed my mind. I've seen there a few different types . What's the best to get. I'm planning on building one so internally makes no difference . Are a 6 cylinder and v8 one the same . I'm going to buy a book on them but before I do thought I would see what other people no.

6cyl has a lower 1st gear than the V8 version which gets the car out of the hole better.Other than that there expensive to do right (as is any gearbox) and generally they don't break.

Not all the same. 6 cylinder and some V8 ones from the smaller motors up to 307 etc use the weaker 1.82 gear set. You want the 1.76 trans identifiable by measuring output shaft diameter is slightly different between the two

Depends also on the power you want to run the factory cases have their limit.

ok thanks for that , are all the imput shafts between the v8s and 6s the same , i had a option to buy a 6 cylinder one , i had planed and putting a stonger imput and clutch drum in it big pan , and good clutchs and band , full manuel valve body and that would do me , other motors ive seen built like mine are pulling around 700rwk at the tyres all i wont is a good setup to get me into the low tens a few times then ill more than likley go back to the 6 speed manuel

Why dont u keep it manual. that way you dont need to fart around swapping boxes etc between manual and auto.

This fella ran 10.6 with a Manual BA back in 2010?

*edit* found a more recent video. running 9.8 still with manual box.

Yeah I think its got a t56 magnum . And I bet the clutch isn't a off the shelf job. Biggest you can get is a mal wood one and that's 3500. Plus the box. My t56 wouldn't take the punishment.

while we're on the subject what would be the bonuses of swapping from a 3 speed to a 2 speed. when would it be a good idea and is top gear ratio 1 to 1 ??

Three speed will drive better on the street because I has one ratio in the middle to even it all out. The way I've been looking at it. My cars got nethier box . And I can build alot stronger power glide for the same price as I can build a c4 . And most of the really fast cars run powerglides . There must be a reason for that.

while we're on the subject what would be the bonuses of swapping from a 3 speed to a 2 speed. when would it be a good idea and is top gear ratio 1 to 1 ??

People run Powerglides in drag racing because they are very strong, quite simple and have been around for a very long time. They also take slightly less power to turn due to having less moving parts/friction.

It's kind of like the smallblock Chev. They're not necessarily the best outright choice. Everyone uses them because so many bits are available because.... everyone uses them! The folks that build them know all the hot-up tricks, and after 50 or so years of doing it, you should think so.

Yes top gear is 1:1 in non-overdrive auto boxes.

In a Powerglide, converter choice is most critical as you only have 2 gears, so if your engine falls off the boil, you're stuck in a hole until it picks up again.

Lighter cars are less susceptible to bogging down but the lack of ratios would certainly do this in a big car. They're popular in lightweight cars or this reason, and with turbo rotaries especially. The tall first gear gives a softer launch so the car doesn't spit itself stupid into the wall.

Powerglides are rubbish on a street car. Say you're driving up a hill on the highway and need to overtake. You knock it back to low, and it either doesn't go back (too fast) or it does and the engine screams it's tits off, just to overtake!

yep first gear in a glide is usually about halfway between 1st/2nd in a 3 speed... a lot of people don't go c4 due to the weak top gear/frying clutches etc etc im sure everyones used to and the c6 is just that little bit tighter to squeeze in.... personally im going glide but ill rarely ever drive it on the street so it all depends what youll be doing with it!