Thom

Thom's 4.0l thread

El is probably the better option . I don't understand why they went to coil pack on ef then changed back to dizzy for el and then back to coil pack for au . Stupid ford

They had lots of reliability issues with the first run of coilpacks, didn't want any more of that so waited till the issue was sorted and went back to the good old dizzy for the next model. Even then, AUs had their fair share of coilpack failures but not until they got over say 150k.

I noticed my mum's EL wags drinks way more than my EF did, possibly due to the dizzy setup on the later one not being able to dial in more timing at cruise.

It's purely by limitations in the design. A distributor can only have a certain amount of range available for advancing/retarding timing before cross firing occurs between plug terminals. The more cylinders, the less range of timing adjustment you have because the cap terminals are closer.<br /><br />Theoretically, a coilpack or coil-on-plug setup has an unlimited range because each coil is a separately triggered circuit (although the falcon's is shared between two cylinders with waste spark) so huge amounts of timing can be dialled in on cruise and over-run, up to 60 deg I have heard.

Hi Thom im new to 4.0l engines.i have bought an xg xr6 with an au xr6 engine fitted.

I have a 94dt head which has been recoed with new valves and springs and skimmed 40 thou.

94dt has no rocker gear.

Can i use au rocker gear on 94dt and do you recomend a cam to suit.

Will i need any other parts to swap to 94dt.

It also has log manifold but i will look for a bbm manifold.

Any other upgrade parts you can recomend would be appreciated too.

Cheers in advance mate.

Blair

You'll need EA-EL rocker gear and cam. AU is different somehow, can't quite recall how though. I do remember that AU cams/rockers won't work in an E-series head and vice versa.

Still got the XG XR motor? Use the cam and rockers out of that, I think I read somewhere in this thread that the XG XR6 cam was the hottest factory cam used in the E-series/XG/XH 4.0, with the EA 3.9 cam second.

Have a read of this thread, it should tell you everything you need to know

You'll need EA-EL rocker gear and cam. AU is different somehow, can't quite recall how though.

The difference is in the rocker arm ratio.

EA-EL are 2:1, where as AU rockers are 1.8:1.

ie, a 244thou cam lobe, will result in 488thou valve lift in EA-EL, and 439.2thou valve lift in AU.

EA and early EB rocker gear used 14mm diameter Hydraulic lash adjusters,

EB-AU, used smaller 11mm lash adjusters.

Ideally you want eb to El series 1 rocker gear as the lash adjusters are more readily available that the ea type, and late El had an early version of an au engine they use the 1.8:1 rockers and beehive valve Springs e series rocker gear in an au head will result in extreme amounts of lash and may not even open the valves au rocker gear on an e series rocker gear on an au head will result in broken rockers and bent valves

Can anyone tell me journal sizes and stroke of an au crank compared to earlier cranks ?? 

I did a google search but I'm retarded and didn't find anything ,

Pulled apart a late model xh ute engine hoping to find a full counterweight ef crank , but appears to be an au crank ... 

On 04/07/2013 at 6:44 AM, Thom said:

Looks good, personally I would use a broad band intake over the log manifold

Can you use the bbm with an xg engine loom to run injectors. Dizzy and shit. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Can you use the bbm with an xg engine loom to run injectors. Dizzy and shit. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Yes you can if you un pick the loom off the xg intake there is enough room in the harness to lay it out on the BBM, the one problem you do have with putting a BBM into an xg is clearance with the header tank but if you move it it will clear the intake

Is that unpicking the loom to make wiring reach?

You only have to untape a couple of little bit and it will reach
Also will the bbm clear the shock towers ok and the dizzy and the A/C compressor?
Lots of questions!

Yes yes and yes
Log manifold works better with Turbo's though, afaik...
Only for outright power, for street drivability a BBM works better

20 hours ago, hendrixhc said:

Cheers. Look like ill have to start tidying up the BBM instead of the log.

It will be easier to run intake piping to as well for the snail.

Only if you're going with no intercooler (far from ideal) or a water to air over the top of the engine. The old pre bbm log makes it easier to plumb intercooler pipework and makes for a far shorter inlet tract to run an air to air front mount, which is the cheapest option.