Thom

Thom's 4.0l thread

Thanks Thom,

think i'll drop in at the local wreckers and jam an EF radiator in an XG.. see if that causes any issues,

or will an EB water pump fitted to the AU donk fix the different hose size issue keeping the rare XG radiator(that i assume means the belts will need to be EB XG ish rather than serp belt.)

i think if i am pulling heads off and such, the XR6 head been on gas for 15 years (probably 200,000km also) might need some love anyway.. hence just dropping in something fresher and better(also cheaper than recoing anything also)

if i do anything i'll post up My findings, at the moment the "it works, don't touch it" rule is keeping it in one piece.

The serpentine setup has a reverse rotation water pump

that rules that out for keeping the hoses off the XG radiator standard.. need an adapter made up.

I was given this link regarding using a "better" ECU .. EL one is apparently faster.

http://www.tiperformance.com.au/knowledge-base/fitting-an-el-ecu-to-an-ea-ed-falcon/

It's fine to use a el ecu if your going with the BBM you do need an ef/el intake rather than au (au use a bit different plumbing because they run a t map sensor rather than a separate ait sender and map sensor) you will need a fuel pressure reg to suit the ecu (xr6/ Fairmont ghia use a higher fuel pressure and the tune compensates for it) with a BBM you will have to re locate your header tank and use a ef/el t Stat housing to retain a temp sender as au have it in the rear of the head and the e series sender won't work as the au sender doesn't go into the water jacket

AU3 XR6 Probably my own mistake but I have put an au e-gas bottom end in my car with a petrol head and bolt ons but it's leaking Copland from the side of the head and just won't to be sure that standard head bolts aren't to long for this combo. It has a new MLS head gasket and new head bolts that I done like 2 weeks ago?

Cheers in advance

Thom im already getting the itch to hot up my xg 4.0L it has the 91aa head and log manifold and has the smartlock,because it is complete should i stick with this and or should i add the bits n pieces in these pages to soup it up ? my thoughts were to stick with this engine and buy a sohc turbo kit and add low comp pistons ect.......12/93 model xgWP_20160720_11_07_13_Pro_zpsmfcwkyqd.jpg

Depending on how much boost/ power you want to make you could fit an AU head to drop comp rather than tear down the engine for a rebuild especially if it's already a good runner

ok i see these are all the things i wish to learn i have many engines at my disposal at the local wreckers ed,el,au ect and even a old but new ea carby engine or single point motor complete ,is this worth getting for any bit's ?

The ea engine has the best rods out of the e series engines but if you were going to build up an engine starting with an au engine would be better even thought there is a little dicking around with the sway bar and bellhousing to get one to fit an xg

To put the au head on my engine to lower the comp,what head should i be looking for ,like what model just the basic falcon one ? and do i need to keep the au cam and rockers.

Stick with a base model head unless you are really lucky and can find a series 1 xr6 non vct head you will have to keep the au cam and rocker gear

Thom is there any markings or numbers for this early xr6 head ? im going down the wreckers today for a sus out on 4.0L gear,also there is a late EL wagon there if i find this wr2xxxx engine is that worth getting for the block ?

There's a great big t cast into the front of the xr6 heads (and fairmont ghia) those late El engines are usually a dud

ok i found many engines 2 with the T head ,1 x 95aa head,1 x au 2 head,and a few others,one of the tickford head engines looked like a ef or el engine and the one in the picture looked like a au engine maybe.WP_20160721_10_07_07_Pro_zpsvmxrtiya.jpg

ok if i just wanted to put a nice set of extractors and raise comp a bit and stay n/a in my engine would this head be ok to re-co,surley its gunna be better than my std head or is it not worth the effort.

ok so if i wanted to put a decent 4.0L together to fit into my xg,i should start with a series 2 or 3 au bottom end,a xr-6 T head ,modify the alloy sump,change to the serpentine belt,keep my ea style cam,but what about the sway-bar will the au fit or more mods needed ?

ok so if i wanted to put a decent 4.0L together to fit into my xg,i should start with a series 2 or 3 au bottom end,a xr-6 T head ,modify the alloy sump,change to the serpentine belt,keep my ea style cam,but what about the sway-bar will the au fit or more mods needed ?

2 or 3 there's really no difference if you modify the sump you can use your standard sway bar

I'm not sure if it's been covered before . So I'm wanting to put a btr behind a xflow and run full el/f engine management . The only thing I'm not really sure is the ignition side of Things . How do late e series get their ignition timing ??

Is it only from the cam angle sensor as a reference then set in the ecu or do they have another input somewhere else , like a crank angle sensor ( I think ba have this ?)

Only reason I want el management is for the coil packs , just need to find out what makes it work .

I'm not sure if it's been covered before . So I'm wanting to put a btr behind a xflow and run full el/f engine management . The only thing I'm not really sure is the ignition side of Things . How do late e series get their ignition timing ??

Is it only from the cam angle sensor as a reference then set in the ecu or do they have another input somewhere else , like a crank angle sensor ( I think ba have this ?)

Only reason I want el management is for the coil packs , just need to find out what makes it work .

You'd be better of using ef over au (El has dizzy) as ef uses a cam position sensor that goes where a dizzy would then you only have to worry about the crank angle sensor, how are you planning to bolt up the BTR to an xflow?

Cutting and welding the bell housing , same as the intake manifold . It sounds like I'll have to find an eb and use it for the conversion . Just Means I'll have to have a dizzy instead of the coil pack