Thom

Thom's 4.0l thread

Cheers Bear, and Gerg and Thom for your input.
Much Appreciated.
I wanted to do the block in my ute as its matching numbers but that will leave me with no transport, so looks like I might have to have the short block in the spares ute done.

Only thing I'm worried about is its been sitting for 9 years without a head on it, under the spare ute bonnet.

Sent from my S21 using Tapatalk

On 6/18/2013 at 12:37 AM, Thom said:

Ok so a few people have been chasing info on 4.0ls lately, so over some period of Time I will start posting what I know about 4.0ls as I have played with them for years , this first post is taken directly from a post i made in ph351's thread earlier today,<br /> Ef and early El are the same, late El.used a Au style head and crank, without the longer con rods (if you see an El engine with the prefix wr2axxx cat into it it's an Au style head with 1.8:1 ratio rockers compared to the earlier 2:1 ratio) and the camshafts don't interchange between the two ratios, Ef or El cam be set up for a distributor or coil packs (ea- can also be setup for coil packs but it requires a Ef/El timing cover, also to change from v belts to sepentine belt requires Ef/El timing cover and balancer *note v belts cannot be used with a Ef/El timing cover with stock brackets) pre Au: ea's have the strongest rods, ef's have the best crank (12 counterweights compared to 8 on all other e series) Ef/El blocks are better as they have oil restrictors in the top of the block to prevent to much oil in the head at high rpm (makes for more stable valve train above 4000rpm) ea cam is the biggest for made for a 4.0l (except xg xr6 but good luck finding one) and cannot be used on a Au without custom rockers, xr6 head use standard intake valves with a larger exhaust valve, they were also a different casting from a standard head with similar intake Ports but a much better exhaust port (the best xr6 heads to get have the casting no 93dt and 94Dt, the best of the non xr6 heads have the casting 94da). Au egas engines use better crank and rods than a standard petrol engine (also slightly higher comp, and an Ef xr6 head on an Au egas short nets 10:1 comp) Au engines can take a BA turbo crank and rods without machine work, Au rods are longer than e series with a hypertectic pistons (same advantage as using 3.3 rods in a 4.1 or 302 rods in a 351) a really nice Combo (what some of you will remember I had in my xh) is Au egas short motor, Ef xr6 head, ea cam, El intake with a set of extractors and a tune made 178 rwkw for less than $600<br /><br />

Hello Thom,Just been Scoureing your Threads on the SOHC 4.0.  ?? Now if you managed to get 178 rwkw from those changes. How many rwkw/s would one get from a standard used old 4.0 sohc?  Just trying to get an idea of contrast. Thanks Hope everyone is Enjoying Election Mania.Searley.

Hello Thom,Just been Scoureing your Threads on the SOHC 4.0.  ?? Now if you managed to get 178 rwkw from those changes. How many rwkw/s would one get from a standard used old 4.0 sohc?  Just trying to get an idea of contrast. Thanks Hope everyone is Enjoying Election Mania.Searley.
A really good one probably around 120-130ish rwkw depending on the dyno

asking here, because i did a search for "dipstick" in this thread and it didn't come up. 

(hindsight, it might be "dip stick"

anyway, What do you need to do with the dipstick tube if using an EF engine (had BBM) in an XG (using the log manifold) 

and you've thrown out the XG engine already.. to pillage the correct one. 

(asking for a mate, apparently it doesn't work with the log manifold) 

asking here, because i did a search for "dipstick" in this thread and it didn't come up. 

(hindsight, it might be "dip stick"

anyway, What do you need to do with the dipstick tube if using an EF engine (had BBM) in an XG (using the log manifold) 
and you've thrown out the XG engine already.. to pillage the correct one. 
 (asking for a mate, apparently it doesn't work with the log manifold) 
That is correct, the dip sticks are different depending on intake, I think from memory (a 14 year old one at this point) a log dip stick can be used with a bbm but not the other way around, if being very careful you may be able to bend the bbm dip stick to fit the log manifold but some butchery may have to happen to the mounting bracket

5 hours ago, Thom said:

if being very careful you may be able to bend the bbm dip stick to fit the log manifold but some butchery may have to happen to the mounting bracket

Butchery was mentioned :)

i think a wrecker trip will be needed.. 

Here's an old video circa 2007 with my phone taped to the steering wheel running from zero to 180 kph (i was inventive back then) of my pick a part special 4.0 it made 144rwkw around this time, and it made 177 rwkw with a tune later on (video quality is representative of its time) it was in my xh ute with an ex taxi au short motor (from memory had more than 860,xxx ks), ef xr6 head (94 dt) ea cam, el bbm intake, super cat extractors, crow vernier cam gear, yella terra billet flywheel, high flow cat 2.5 inch exhaust, t5 and 3.45 gears, it was a lot of fun to an 18 year old me, I put over 180,xxxks on that engine before it let go when the stock valve train decided that 2 years of turning to 7000rpm was enough and it dropped a valve, after it was tuned the rev limiter was set to 7200rpm and it saw it every time it was in 1st gear (18 year old me was hard on the equipment) and sometimes more often than that, I wouldn't mind getting another e-series one day and replicating this combo, although it would be really fun in something lightweight like an xp falcon

Thom, I’m in a position where I can replicate that set up in my AU skid car. 
I have a 94DT head here but it has a crow ‘stage 3’ package in it so I’m worried about piston to valve clearance. 
.500/.530 lift.

I have barra injectors here so hopefully that and my pump cover the fuel side.

I also have a wrecked XG XR6 so I could potentially pinch the cam from that. It would be a shame though because it’s manual with complete running gear , loom,  ecu etc. it could help resurrect a better car.