Thom

Thom's 4.0l thread

probably a stupid question. Do you know if you can fit E-series rockers to AU rocker shafts?

just something I have been thinking about, just got a crow stage 3 cam for my AU

and wouldn't mind having 530/500 lift rather then 476/450.

Im sure there is a reason they went to a lesser ratio for the au head and it wont be to detune it in any way. I bet they dropped ratio and raised cam lobe profile and achieved the same lift with less valvetrain load on the timing chain and harmonics in the head.

One question i had spring to mind the other day... i wonder if it would be possible to run a ba crank in the au block and then fit the crank driven oil pump inside the timing chain cover?

<br />Im sure there is a reason they went to a lesser ratio for the au head and it wont be to detune it in any way. I bet they dropped ratio and raised cam lobe profile and achieved the same lift with less valvetrain load on the timing chain and harmonics in the head.<br /><br /><br />One question i had spring to mind the other day... i wonder if it would be possible to run a ba crank in the au block and then fit the crank driven oil pump inside the timing chain cover?

Shhhhh I have a little project im working on<br />

Are the 91DA cams the EA cams everyone is talking about?

Both my XG's came out with these cams. The 93 Panno, has a 91DA head too

The 95 Ute, has a 94DA head.

I'm also working on a 97 EL atm, which has a 96DA head, and a 95DA cam (but the cam is stuffed).

Some of the lobe surfaces are eroding, and the same on the rocker arm rollers too.

Never seen that before on an E-series.

Oh well, an excuse for getting another custom cam.

What cam specs would be recommended, for an engine that's auto, standard diff.

Maybe light head porting, and a cat back exhaust too.

Nothing too wild - would be stoked with 150rwkw, but high torque is much more important to me.

Can you get new rollers for the rocker arms?

You have to be careful with the different cam selections available, an ea cam produces alot more torque when combined with a broadband intake as the long/short changeable runner was introduced Ford downsized the cam to improve fuel economy (there's negligible difference between the two cams in fuel economy) personally using aftermarket cams for what you want I would go for for a wade (1604 or 1636)or camtech cam (ct006 846 or a ct006 848) the 91 da is the cam you want out of the factory cams, they were found in engines with the log manifold, finding new rollers is something I haven't come across yet (not saying there not out there but I haven't found them yet) I usually just go to pick a part and pull done rover covers off until I find a good set<br />

Both my XG's came out with these cams. The 93 Panno, has a 91DA head too

The 95 Ute, has a 94DA head.

The 91 & 92 da heads are worth throwing over your left shoulder unless going back on a standard engine or you wiring to spend some time with a die grinder removing the Dick that shrouds the valves like in a xflow head, 94 da is the pick of the non xr6 heads closely followed by a 96da

I also got a custom head built, that I haven't used on anything yet -

Started with a brand new casting, had it ported and port matched to the standard XG log type manifold, stainless steel XR6 valves, crow 115lb dual springs, crow retainers and collets.

Plus a Clive Cams cam, made from a new billet purchased from Crow.

I got a crow vernier gear for the cam.

Also got a head stud kit to use rather than bolts, and an ACL race series gasket kit.

Any good?

Memorycard2835-Copy.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

Memorycard2841-Copy.jpg

Memorycard2852.jpg

Memorycard2855.jpg

Alright heres some pics of the differences between an AU head and an EF tickford head

EF chamber = 60cc

20130709_230221_zpseed05e71.jpg

AU chamber = 65cc
Note the extra shrouding around the intake valve.

20130709_230257_zps9d793eef.jpg

AU intake

20130709_230140_zpsecaf79b1.jpg

AU exhaust

20130709_230431_zps66305b00.jpg

EF Tickford intake

20130709_230122_zps10509718.jpg

EF Tickford Exhaust

20130709_230421_zpsadb1eb87.jpg

And measurements show that the valves are indentical in shape and size, where as the Tickford cam showed 0.055" more lift on the intake valve but same on the exhaust valve.

Using a CR calculator it shows an increase from 9.7 to 10.3 if i use this EF head on the AU short without any shaving to true it up.

While we're on the subject, my brother's trying to sell some EA pistons, they're +0.030 hypereutectics, unused still in box. He just wants a reasonable offer.

Great thread, amazing combinations of factory parts from what at face value is supposedly the same engine. My brother just turfed 2 running e-series engines as he couldn't give them away. A shame because they're a great engine. I still have a fondness for my EA S-pack 5-speed.

So far I can gather that the best combo using mostly factory bits would be AU bottom end, EF XR6 head, BB manifold, EA cam, Pacemaker 6-3-1s and 2-1/2" exhaust.

I've read that factory Ford cats have decent flowing cores but suffer from small inlets/outlets, so cutting and shutting bigger nipples on helps the gas fan out into the whole brick, not just hit the centre of it and this mod opens them up a lot. I've actually done this and it seemed to work well.

Yeah i was surprised to see it too steve. I had to weigh them just to prove i wasnt going mad lol. When u pick them up side by side you can really notice it. I winder if the au head has larger water jackets or something??? They look identical from the outside... only diff is the rocker gear and springs. Might have to dissassemble further and see where it all comes from. Comparing them against each other i would say doung a bowl job and a light shave on the au head would be the way to go being that u get the lighter (on the chain, maybe overall too) valve train with the same spec head as a tickford.

"so we can put together the best stock parts engine.

That would be awesome. With some team work and parts from stock ford engines we could build an engine that gives great response for either towing or reliability and a plus if we could do it on the cheap.

Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up, Au short, Ef xr6 head, ea cam bbm, It made 178rwkw with a tune and cost less than $500 in parts to build, I pulled heaps of them apart at pick a part just to see what's different between them

So whats the go with a good cam for these things. I was perusing the usual sites for cam specs this arv and they seem to have a hell of a lot of choices for the ea-el range but most of them are just like the next. No real difference between them until u get to the last 3 or so on the list that are for mid-top end. And even then the lift is marginal... only around 25-30 thou more than the xr cam i got now.