Damo96

Barra DOHC vs 4.0L OHC

Okay, so I'm looking at the best option for a heart transplant for the xf. 
Now, I would like some advice on which way to go, the BA Barra or E series 4.0L?
Barra's seem to be about as cheap as the SOHC, is it just as easy to fit? Is it harder? What's involved?
If anyone could help, would be much appreciated!

- Damo

Adding up the costs, It's going to cost atleast 3 grand.

I actually love the look of the barra in the x series, sits really nice.

My only problem is the wiring, and whether the trans tunnel will need to be modified to fit the gearbox.

Can't have Turbo anyway. get my P's next year.

Also, saw a guy with an xg ute on YouTube who did this, he even used the ba cluster. Looked good! Would be easier than wiring it to the xe cluster

Also, saw a guy with an xg ute on YouTube who did this, he even used the ba cluster. Looked good! Would be easier than wiring it to the xe cluster

Definately not easier using the ba cluster. You can buy a standalone harness off a guy on ebay on an exchange basis. Prob the easiest way and if you go manual you can use a T5 with barra bellhousing. Piece of piss :-) xg rad and reservoir with xg engine mounts. Im looking at doing a similar conversion shortly :-)

If its the one for $800odd, looks good. How does it go with the ecu?

will be running straight gas, so that makes it a bit easier.

Do I need to use the ba pedal box?

If its the one for $800odd, looks good. How does it go with the ecu?

will be running straight gas, so that makes it a bit easier.

Do I need to use the ba pedal box?

If you use an Au bellhousing it keeps a cable clutch, no need to change peadals (you can also use e series bellhousing but the bolts from the sump to bellhousing don't line up but Au does)

Now this is the info I was after. (:

What about the throttle body? Does an e series one fit and does it run cable too?

<br />Now this is the info I was after. (:<br /><br /><br />What about the throttle body? Does an e series one fit and does it run cable too?

<br />Yes it fits, but if I were to do that personally I would use an Au vct loom and ecu Or an aftermarket ecu to control ignition and cam timing, are you planning to run straight lpg?<br />

Yeah mate straight gas.

Ive heard that wolf 3d ecus are good too?

What's the pro with running the au loom?

To control the variable cam timing without screwing around with the ecu plug, it easier to change the plugs on the loom rather than the one that goes into the ecu

this is good reading as i got 3x barra motors in my shed 1x with 25k with the auto on the back ,#2x 54k motor only from an xr6 ,#3x 119k

so i too am thinking of running straight gas

what if someone wanted to go auto? Would the trans tunnel need to be modded?

Afaik for a 4speed auto no mods necessary but a 6speed who knows

I think for an auto, trans tunnel may be modded due to size. Don't quote me though.

I'm all good with the mounting etc, won't be hard. Not running power steer, not sure about air-conditioning yet!

my only issue is wiring. i have read almost every conversion thread, yet No one really mentions the wiring!!!! Fustrating Haha.

Also, on another note, do you suggest painting the car, or get the engine stuff all read before painting?

the ba auto box is the same box in size as the eb 4 speed auto ,iput up a piccis tomorrow of the barra and ef box side by side for you

do all you mock up work first then paint ,

I want to do it because it looks very nice in the xf bay, easy power and fuel efficient, and want to be a bit different from everyone with x series with e series engine

Very interested... Even the first series Barra had 182 kW, more than any post-emissions Ford V8 up until EBGT. One of them in a lightweight x-series would go like a cut cat. I reckon 13s would be achievable, as a standard XD weighed only 1340 kg, roughly 300 kg lighter than a BA.

A few things come to mind though:

- if going to gas, the power will be much less. An LPG Barra engine makes a little over 150 kw. You could easily get this and more from an e-series donk if worked properly.

- there are much less go-fast bits available for n/a Barra motors.

- you'd have to do something about the VCT on the Barra, either lock the cams permanently (some turbo guys do it) or run an aftermarket ecu that is capable of running them, but then you'd have to tune them. You could also just run the stock ecu and wiring.

- you'll need to run a cat.

I know the AOD box that's behind the injected windsors fits without actually modifying the tunnel or firewall. The gearbox mount is further back so you'll have to extend the mount to suit the extra length of the box. I couldn't see the 6cyl AOD box being any bigger.

this is very interesting. I was never sold on doing a windsor conversion this seems like something a bit more fun with alot of potential.

My only isssue would be wiring i cant stand it.

It all is starting to sound good. Thanks for all the info.

The stand alone harnesses seem pretty good too.