Server maintenance Read more... ×
Damo96

Barra DOHC vs 4.0L OHC

Do you mean aod or btr, because they are two totally different boxes, and the aod out of and American car used the Same bellhousing between v8 and 6 cylinder (they run v6's in yank land and they use Windsor/clevo bellhousing)

I'm just about to put a dohc in my xf ute. Using ba wiring into the xf dash. All xf est wiring etc removed. Ea banana gearbox mount. Ea wagon tail shaft. Xh xr6 3:45 LSD diff. Ill try n throw up a thread. I've started one on xfalcins on the build itself.

Barra motors into some x-series cars may need engineering in Victoria in my opinion. Done a little digging...even EL motors into an XF need engineering...technically speaking. Sure they bolt in....but factory quoted power is 1.2 times more than the most powerful engine offered in that model XF). Find an inspector having a bad day and you'll need a VASS certificate. My recent experience. You could put a Barra in an XD or XE without dramas in Victoria because of the V8 option as long as there were no structural mods to get it to fit.

Also how are you going to get around the security system, a mate of mine runs a barra in an xf speedway car and i believe he has left the security system in place with the key parmanently in the ignition to be able to run.  Also the later BA autos don't have provision for the speedo transducer i think. 

The wiring wouldn't be that hard to sort, it would just take you time to sort through.  I'd use the original ECU etc and just weed out the systems and wires i did'nt need.  But time consuming!!  Go manual though :)   And Gav would you need to get it engineered as it's the same cubic capacity as standard?

One of them in a lightweight x-series would go like a cut cat. I reckon 13s would be achievable, as a standard XD weighed only 1340 kg, roughly 300 kg lighter than a BA.

13s wont be achievable n/a . not a chance . when mine was stock n/a bottom end with a turbo it had 275rwkw and only ran mid 13s

And Gav would you need to get it engineered as it's the same cubic capacity as standard?

I reckon it's a grey area. I operate from the standpoint that the conversion should be allowable. XDs and XEs were sold with a detuned version of the 351. If the chassis is able to handle the power-torque chatacteristics of that engine one would assume that a any four litre conversion should be okay from an engineering perspective. I had issues with a 4-litre conversion recently and it caused me to delve into the legalities a little further.

If you looks VSB 14 (Vehicle Standards Bulletin) it says the maximum engine capacity for a vehicle is calculated from its original mass times 5.0. So Barra's okay from this perspective.

Also from the same document;

BASIC MODIFICATIONS NOT REQUIRING CERTIFICATION
The following are basic modifications that may be performed without certification providing the modifications are carried out in compliance with the requirements detailed in Clause 2

General Requirements
  • Fitting a replacement new, used or reconditioned engine;
  • Fitting a manufacturer’s optional engine together with any associated components as supplied by the manufacturer for that same model vehicle;
  • Fitting replacement original equipment engine and exhaust components;
  • Fitting replacement original equipment, equivalent or better, components that have no influence on engine performance or emissions (e.g. higher volume oil pump than original)
  • Fitting equivalent engines with an increase of up to 20% of original power

The last point would affect the installation of Barras into some x-series cars

1.2 MODIFICATIONS REQUIRING CERTIFICATION UNDER LA CODES

The following is a summary of modifications that may be performed under Section LA

• Fitting engines greater than 120% of original power and/or engine mass;
  • Fitting performance engines;
  • Fitting engines from non original equipment sources;
  • Installing a supercharger or turbocharger;
  • Modifying the engine and engine components that results in an increase in engine power of more than 20% and/or affects exhaust emissions

This stuff apparently needs certification under the VASS scheme in Victoria (ie "engineering")

Interesting (or not!) reads. DIY investigation!

Vehicle Standards information sheet from VICROADS - links Victorian RWC requirements to the VSBs

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9B3A858D-15A0-4572-90BF-3D08214BF7BE/0/VSInumber8Guidetomodificationsformotorvehicles.pdf

VSBs  - generally speaking

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

VSB for engines:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engine_01jan2011_v3.pdf

Okay so not all RWC practitioners will be up to speed with this stuff or indeed give a shit - however a roadside "canary" may see you facing some difficulties down the track. One festy cop who doesn't like what he sees is all it will take...Anecdotally....some folk in the industry are saying there appears to a tightening and/or greater observance of rules governing vehicle mods in Victoria at least.

Dohc don't fit under the bonnet. And are coil on plug. Are expensive to upgrade . Sohc I belive is the best option. You can get good tune chips for $200 . Abit more comp and a decent cam and a sohc is going to out perform dohc any day and for half the money. <br /><br />Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

just use the btr auto, and buy the harnesses to run a std ba computer.

i'd love to see a 6spd auto in an xf though..

6 speed auto into an xf couldnt be done ,there full computerized, we had a fella bring his fg xr6 in on a tow truck after he decided to do his own service, turns out he fucked the box,lol  ,

Dohc don't fit under the bonnet. And are coil on plug. Are expensive to upgrade . Sohc I belive is the best option. You can get good tune chips for $200 . Abit more comp and a decent cam and a sohc is going to out perform dohc any day and for half the money. <br /><br />Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

il sell 6x coil packs $60 for 6 for the ba donk

Putting a dohc in my xf now. Wiring isn't looking to hard. Will fit under bonnet just need to mod one bonnet brace. 190kw factory. Set of extractors good exhaust and intake. T5 and 3.45 diff. Tune she will fly.

Are you going to be using a AU T5 Bellhousing to keep it cable clutch and bolt up to all the structual holes? the E-Series bellhousing Only mounts to the top 4 bolts. not the bottom 4 into the sump like the AU one does.

Took me a while to find a AU Bellhousing. Bought one attached to a rooted gearbox for $150 then gave the gearbox to a Tranny repair place down the road in return for an input shaft that i can use for clutch aligning tool.

Other hard to find at good price is ECU. got manual non turbo one $140 and manual turbo one for $190. $300 to get PATS disabled ( passive anti theft system)so i dont need anything special to run engine key wise etc

I've got a au bell housing. Motor came with a ba ute engine and body harness and computer. All I need to find is floor harness just for pedal wiring and can't find the HEGO wiring haha

2 questions, are you using a ba gearbox or earlier, if so what are you planning to use for your speedo as only some ba utes not fitted with abs used the speedo sender in the gearbox the rest of ba's use the abs sensors to determine speed

If using A T5 out of a (XF - EL) just use a XF T5 speedo cog setup.. then the little thing should work straight off that.

The BA T5 i picked up didnt have the hole drilled out to support a Speedo Cable, I just plugged my Corty Speedo Cable into T5 (after taking out the electronic speedo sensor thing that E series T5 boxes use) and speedo works no worries..

*edit*

Heres a pic of the electronic speedo thing i removed to replace with Cable Speedo

T5-Speedo.jpg

and a BA T5 showing the Speedo hole undrilled next to my T5 Extention Housing for my Cortina.

BA-XR6-T5-Mustang-T5.jpg