hendrixhc

Hendrixhc's Long Term XCGS Project!

2,015 posts in this topic

Time to let the Cat out of the Bag!

Well for those of you who have followed my XE project thread or have ever read any posts in any XC related topic or dream car thread you would know that i am a tragic XC GXL fan.

I have tried many times to buy one of these bloody things and always end up getting stiffed on the deal or when i finally do get to the point of buying one, cash in hand, it turns out to be a pile of shit thats condition has been over inflated by owner trying to get rich quick!

To me if you say there one or 2 spots of rust about 20c piece in size, then thats what there is. I dont need to split hairs because you have knocked the rust out with a hammer and filled the hole with fibreglass or bog that it isnt rusty!

So to stop crapping on heres how the story begins.

I got to buy a GXL on the long weekend for a decent price and drive a 1000km round trip only to find a rusty heap of shit. Now given that i am doing the XE i dont need a full on restoration at the moment, i want to get something semi decent to drive til the XE is done.

Feeling pretty depressed i make a feew calls and line up a second one to look at on the way home only to find the same thing RRRRRRUUUUUUSSSSSSSSTTTTTT.

I decided at his point fuck it i wont bother looking anymore cause i just pissed me off. I go to work on Tuesday and everyone says "hows the new car?". Yeah well.

So anyway i jump in the work car and shoot down the road to go do a job and take a back street as a short cut. Out of the corner of my eye I spot the arse end of an XC and think ah fuck off.

It got the better of me and i turned around to see a nice looking XC GS rally pack. I didnt stop just kept going and by the time i went back to work it was gone.

The next day i drive back down the street hoping to see it and spot it in a shed. I pulled over for a nosey and spotted a guy nearby and asked if it was for sale. Bugger me it was.

The rest as they say is history, i made him an offer he refused and we haggled it out til i got it for the price i wanted.

So bit of details:

Factory matching numbers 302 Cleveland XCGS replaced with worked 351 ( get factory 302 as well)

Toploader fitted with Hurst indy Short Shift

11" button Clutch?

17" billet like rims

twin 3 inch exhaust dumped at diff (( first thing to be changed) way to loud)

dedicated gas

Fresh respray ( although average) hopefully will buff up ok

Very Very little rust that i can see.

2"lowering blocks in arse and lowered front end with nolothane bushings

ratshit interior ( oh well)

drivers racing seat ( going as well)

Some photos so far

XCGSHEND1_zps243b5ce7.jpg

XCGSHEND_zpsf869cd9d.jpg

XCGSHEND3_zps08be8c0c.jpg

XCGSHEND2_zpsae2686fd.jpg

Immediate to do:

Piss that bonnet scoop off

Cut and polish

Exhaust

Service engine

Drive its arse off!

XES and Thom like this

i'll be fucked how arsy is that congrats man tell me did you get it cheaper then your budget you set if so you've done well me man

Thanks mate. Nah i dont blow the budget but i didnt get any change. He wante $12500 but i did alot better than that.

"Apparently" he has just spent that on the engine and drive line. I guess i will find out when i get her home on the hoist!

the way I see it you got what you've wanted for so long so all in all who cares about the $ and to pay what you set out to spend is even better look forward to the thread

Yeah stayed tuned for the next ten years for some updates!  :D

Will try and hunt up a GXL front end though (eventually)!

Yeah stayed tuned for the next ten years for some updates!  :D

Will try and hunt up a GXL front end though (eventually)!

LOLOLO my xe might be done by then ;)

good to see you found one mate i take it you'll drive it on weekends? ill be following this for inspiration for my xc.

Yeah and weekdays to if i get time! Cant wait!

Ha ha ha awesome find bro...well done.

Thanks Sly!

Sweet! What are the odds.

i was pretty surprised when i saw it there, even more so when it was for sale within my budget!

Thanks Mate! I love my shed - my mrs doesnt love me loving the shed! (She doesnt mind to much long as theres the odd bribe for her!)

Nice one mate, looks like it should tidy up nicely. Took me more than a year to find my HK, looked at many rusty overpriced heaps too. That's not a HK behind your car in the first pic is it? (windscreen surround looks same). 

Nice one mate, looks like it should tidy up nicely. Took me more than a year to find my HK, looked at many rusty overpriced heaps too. That's not a HK behind your car in the first pic is it? (windscreen surround looks same). 

Yes i believe it was. The guy has several old holdens, toranas, monaros a charger and a XA Gt Copue as well. If only i had more money and a bigger shed!

BBS XE likes this

Well done James.  Stoked to see you got one mate.  I'm looking forward to the build on this one.  Your attention to detail is going to make it a cracker!!!

looking forward to seeing this one

Thanks Robbie!

Awesome to see your dream has come true man. Shall be watching :)

Thanks Damo!

Well done James.  S

Stoked to see you got one mate.  I'm looking forward to the build on this one.  Your attention to detail is going to make it a cracker!!!

Thanks Pete!

Yeah not to much will be happening straight away. Mainly cosmetics, clean up and getting a few non working things working.

When i pick her up tomorrow ill try and get a quick video of the noise this thing makes. then youll understand why an exhaust mod is in order.

Hendrix finally got a XC!! Good find mate. Definitely agree about that hood scoop!

Gonna keep the racing seat or get a normal one?

Thanks Chris!

That seat will be out of there as quickly as i can get the original back! Apparently the original is at the last owners house. I got the guy chasing it up for me.

Mr Polson likes this

The big day!

So today was the big day where i picked up my new girl. I grabbed the cash from the bank and shot round as quickly as i could coz i was busting to drive her.

Deal was done and off i go.

Ran like an absolute fucking sick dog!  :(

Got it back to work and popped the bonnet up and had a nose. 2 plug leads off of the dizzy and a third one cracked and not making contact. Put the 2 back on and "wedged" the other one in place and bam off she went like a champ.

Luckily i got all the spares off the XE which ill chuck on tomorrow before i drive her home.

Anyways i took a few more pics, cause everyone likes pics!

purchaseday2_zpsf022aabe.jpg

purchaseday3_zpsa3dc50fd.jpg

purchaseday4_zps31b52f8d.jpg

Who cant resist a ladies fat arse!

purchaseday5_zps868b224d.jpg

That bloody exhaust system, or lack there of!

purchaseday6_zpse1e215fe.jpg

Better look for rust in the boot channels - all good - little bit of surface

purchaseday7_zps07474534.jpg

purchaseday8_zps0c34f7cc.jpg

purchaseday1_zps560cdbca.jpg

Found this in the boot, didnt bother to check the other day. Near new 352 yokie 245 x 14"

purchaseday9_zpsefa7bb6b.jpg

purchaseday_zpsa81e22b8.jpg

And last but not least a little taste of the Clevo!  :D

th_enginerun_zps3c242f8a.jpg

Cant wait til tomorrow to give it a boot full up through the Heysen Tunnels!

PH351 and robbie like this