Yes.40L

identifying t5 transmission

Morning All.

Just trying to figure out which transmission my xf has. It was originally an auto and has been converted to a manual at some stage in its life.

its a 5 speed and reverse is beside 4th making it a t5... correct?

how do i tell what model it is out of?

If its an XF t5, will an EB onwards t5 bolt up to the bellhousing ok?

thanks all

Correct, R next to 4th is a T5, also T5 has the fork coming out of the passenger side of the bellhousing, with the clutch cable coming out of the firewall, through the crossmember. I think any T5 should fit but im not sure. Also, look into whether the clutch is the same.

Celica 5-speeds have the same shift pattern, but looking at the box, are different in that they have a steel sandwich plate between the alloy casing and extension housing, t5s have just the casing and extension. Toyotas use metric bolts, T5s imperial.

thanks all. i have a spare t5 from an ed lying around so i probably could have just jacked the car up and compared the 2.. but thought i would put the question out there anyway.

Also, look into whether the clutch is the same.

how would i check if the clutch is the same? Being that my spare box is from an ED i would be safe using a heavy duy clutch designed for an ED yes?

thanks again all!

Clutch is different between an xf and eseries but only in the fact that the 2 locate diferently on the flywheels. Use an xf clutch with the xf flywheel or an eseries clutch with eseries flywheel. I know because i was told they were the same and oredered an eb clutch and it didnt bolt to the xf flywheel as the bolt holes need to be tapped..

Clutch is different between an xf and eseries but only in the fact that the 2 locate diferently on the flywheels. Use an xf clutch with the xf flywheel or an eseries clutch with eseries flywheel. I know because i was told they were the same and oredered an eb clutch and it didnt bolt to the xf flywheel as the bolt holes need to be tapped..

I have just learnt something I had forgotten about, clutch plates interchange but pressure plates don't

Interesting. So back to my original question. How would I identify whether its from an xf or EB onwards?

Interesting. So back to my original question. How would I identify whether its from an xf or EB onwards?

the gearbox?

I think there is a way to identify externally, something to do with the casting around the reverse gear mechanism, since XF T5 didnt have syncros in reverse while the ones after the XF did. I was told after i asked whether it was possible to retrofit syncros into the reverse gear of a XF T5 without changing the extension housing and apparently it is not possible.

Anyone else know anything about this?

My XF T5 has a date stamp on it, 88 with month on dial around it. It's on the right hand side near the front somewhere if I can remember.  

Where can you buy the circular rubber boot that fits over the selector and what is it called. Mine has perished and needs replacing before refitting to my XF.

I've got a little plate that is under the bolt metal tag mine says da89 and is stamped 7 9 1989 which I assume is out of a ea falcon t5