Clevo120Y

Flow bench

142 posts in this topic

Like a webber, what carb do you have that is progressive Tony? Time flies doesn't it when your on the flow bench, a lot of time chewed up with setup, then unbolt everything to make some changes then do it all again, great fun but to see the results, it's even good to see what makes things go backwards as well just for research purposes. 

Yeah I run a Wilson spacer aswell but the plugs are still different.I Jase Stoodley moved his carb inboard and it straightened the plug and cyl fill up cos the plug come off all the same.I'd like to try it before I go to the new induction and any thoughts are better than none so thanks for the knowledge.

This project has been exciting to watch!

Are you planning on flowing an OHC head any time soon?

On a side note, I finally found the Flow Data Sheet, from when I built up a brand new OHC cylinder head, for my XG.

Got it ported, S/Steel XR6 valves, 120lb springs, hardened retainers, custom billet cam, HPC'd pacemakers, etc etc.

(haven't used the head on the car yet.)

CylinderheadFlowDatasheet.jpg[/

URL]

Memorycard2845.jpg

Memorycard2852.jpg

Memorycard2829-Copy-Copy.jpg

Memorycard2858.jpg

Clevo120Y likes this

Hey Dave, I'm happy you enjoyed the bench build, thanks very much.

Yes I will be flowing a head off an EF engine I have just had dropped off at the workshop, maybe in a couple of weeks I will get that done and I will post up the results. Your porter got good results, I would of liked to see the flow rates in the whole range to see if the gains were across the board or just in the high lift, the percentages listed suggest that the increase was across the board which is good. Thanks for posting that up Dave.

That's s great result from a porting job, very interesting to see the stock ports leveling out and then going backwards after 0.450". I'd have otherwise thought that an OHC head would flow miles over an alloy crossy, but there you go. I'd say it's about on par with a stock 2V Clevo.

A good porting job will benefit most at part lift, requiring less cam and RPM to make power. For the street anyway... For race engines, well the sky is the limit, or at least the conrods are.

Clevo120Y likes this

Yeah, hopefully the head and cam combo, is streetable. It's all a bit of a gamble, till I get it fitted to the ute.

I've got a vernier gear too, so can play around with the cam a little.

The head is a brand new aftermarket (made in Mexico I think) OHC casting, supposedly on par with a stock AU head casting.

Head cost $600.00 bare.

Porting and Flowing, cost $500 cash, done by the one bloke.

The valves, machining and assembly, was another $500 cash.

I provided the crow gear (about $200)

The bloke Hans, works in the N/A speedway scene all the time, so has a bit of a knack for squeezing every last HP out of these engines.

Cam specs -

Memorycard2855.jpg

No, I got the cam done by Clive, at Clive Cams in Ferntree Gully.

He got me a blank billet from Crow cams - who in turn get them from some turkish mob.

I gave Clive the drivetrain and head specs, and described what I wanted out of the cam.

It's supposed to have a bit of a chop to the idle, yet still come on strong from low in the rev range.

The cam cost me $450.00.

So all up, a touch over $2k, for a pretty high spec head.

Greg my engine bloke, is only in Bayswater and is one of those no BS eccentric oldschool dudes - never afraid to call a spade a spade.

His mate is Hans, who plays with the speedway guys.

Ah yep, got the cam for my speedway car from Hans and he does a lot of engines for a lot of other cars.

I don't even know where his workshop is.

(Where is it?)

My engine bloke Greg, did most of the running around.

Ah yep, got the cam for my speedway car from Hans and he does a lot of engines for a lot of other cars.

I don't even know where his workshop is.

(Where is it?)

My engine bloke Greg, did most of the running around.

Hans is in ferntree gully

Hans is in ferntree gully

Ahh.... gotcha - High Port Cylinder Heads - Hans.

Wow, he's the bloke who used to work at Yella Terra developing their cylinder heads.

No wonder he got a good result - I feel kinda special now, having a cylinder head ported by THAT dude! :P

Like a webber, what carb do you have that is progressive Tony? Time flies doesn't it when your on the flow bench, a lot of time chewed up with setup, then unbolt everything to make some changes then do it all again, great fun but to see the results, it's even good to see what makes things go backwards as well just for research purposes.

No its a two barrel, progressive secondary 350 Holley converted to metho. Has 500 throttle butterflies added to the progressive base plate. Nice bit of kit, lots of work gone into it. Just haven't had the time or the pills to go away from my TRUSCOTT 350 meth holley.