Clevo120Y

Flow bench

142 posts in this topic

Epic job mate, will be impressive when its all put together.

Reminds me of an idea i had years ago of building a huge industrial grade in-house vacuum cleaner.  Was going to build it much the same as your doing this but with air/dust separators and filtration panels, stand it in a corner and run a 2.5" pool cleaner head and pipe on it to vacuum up the workshop.  I had 4x 2400w vaccum motors set asside for the job just never got around to building it.   I reckon you could put yours to similar use when it not measuring port velocity :P

Clevo120Y likes this

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Clint you could use this but you need bypass style motors so you don't suck shit through them. I don't want to get it dirty after I finish it hahahaha

Yeah I was thinking of a wet vac, what you said about filters and chambers will work, some baffles etc etc.

I should start putting this bench together tommorow, hey Clint your a chippy, should I predrill all holes to full depth when screwing into the end of 18mm mdf? I was going to predrill the first panel. I'm going to bust out my inner Rob from better homes and gardens, glue and screw baby lol

Yeah mate predrill everything with formed panels. Choose the right sized bit for the screw u intend on using and drill your countersink aswell and you will get the strongest possible fix without compromising the panel or skewing out the side. Then just tighten up the screws like they were bolts in a head with routine and unity keeping your corners square and edges straight.

Crazy2287 and Clevo120Y like this

Well the drill press got a workout during the week, predrilling and countersinking 1000 holes lol. Got quite a bit of the bench together now so will post some pic tommorow. I will go through the steps and thought pattern to my madness. You really have to think about the order things go together and predrill panels first for panels later, also having access to joins to seal with silicon to make them airtight before you put a panel on that makes getting to them impossible afterwards. I go over the whole thing after every panel is put on and seal as I go, I don't put the next panel on until I know I can't preseal anything more, because I am glueing and screwing every joint I only get 1 chance to get it right. The instructions say screw every 6in but I have done it every 4in because..... Well just because hahahaha. It is sitting on a frame to make it easier for me to work on and get easy access to underneath to glue and screw panels from under there. It will weigh a ton but luckily my mate is a human forklift (benches 500 pounds) and will give me a hand to lift it off when I'm finished, it will be on castor wheels so I can move it around easily, also my thought is that I can test velocity of both intake and exhaust without removing the head and spinning it around like you have to on a normal bench, because my screen is remotely mounted I can just spin my bench around on it's wheels and have full access to both ports at any time. Anyway I will get more done tommoz and put up some progress pics.

Thom likes this

marking out and predrilling panels

456_zps9cf57c54.jpg

laying down the motor panel and slider section to make sur my measurements were spot on

472_zps23551806.jpg

471_zps7a417bfe.jpg

this is the slider section, it controls the direction of airflow for testing either intake or exhaust, you pull the slider out and spin it around to expose the opposite holes to change the direction of airflow

473_zps85afa5e4.jpg

474_zps3f04140e.jpg

Super important to seal joins as you go before you can't get access to them anymore

458_zps6149c560.jpg

She coming together

457_zps4787cdbe.jpg

459_zps8c8f1614.jpg

460_zpsbda38e6e.jpg

461_zps8cda8e22.jpg

462_zps6ac26d2d.jpg

Well I'm off to get more done, will keep you guys upgated as I go :)

Thom likes this

Good progress, I hope you're leaving an access panel to get to those motors? I smell shitfight if you seal it up and cant get to the motors when one fails in the future.

=P

Fk dude, Looking good! Nice wood skillz!

Thanks mate, yeah will have an access panel for the motors for sure, I have to build a frame for the panel and a rubber seal to make it airtight.

This is my first real woodworking project hahaha, I'm usually a metal and TIG sort of bloke, I approach everything I do with the same sort of attention to detail, I actually have OCD not just joking about it lol, it comes in handy for things like these it just takes me longer usually but generally things are spot on when I'm finished, I even clean my workshop at the end of each day hahaha.

Pic from the front, the orafice panel is on the left that makes up the 2 settling chambers

002_zps258f1abe.jpg

Right hand side showing the air intake/exhaust down the bottom and the frame work and studs for the access panel to the motors like we were talking about earlier. Also started filling screw holes and joins today, give it a sand and prime for paint later.

004_zpsc64744e7.jpg

What a kickarse little project. Nice work indeed. Wish I had the patience when I build stuff to do it to that standard. I want everything finished 5 minutes ago.

Clevo120Y likes this

Wow epic progress bro,well done.

So onto the OCD bit,when you bash someone do you hit them 3 times each with each fist and foot or ???

LOL sorry had to say it...we are all a little bit OCD I feel.I stir my coffee a certain way every day.I get like it at work on things like square washers having to point the same orientation,trying off pin insulators with the exact same amount of winds on em.We are trained in that but I get too fussy sometimes.How I drink my bourbon cans in which order from the shed fridge also... 

PH351, Thom and SPArKy_Dave like this

All good, these are 240v jobs and I checked that, cheers Dave :)

I really like the bootlace ferrules/terminals on all the wire ends - the mark of a true craftsman. ;)

Clevo120Y likes this

Hahaha classic Sly, sparring is relaxing for me and it makes you think about your opponent more, in saying that I won't use anyone else's gear because all mine matches lol. Bag work is different, combinations of 4 unless I force myself otherwise. It's dumb I know and sometimes it annoys the shit out of me, yesterday I wasted over an hour on the flow bench shimming all the studs for the access panel so when I did the wing nuts up they lined up around the perimeter. I try to use it to my advantage but sometimes it ridiculous.

I agree that lots of people OCD about things but most of that is pride in there work and there's nothing wrong with that :)

Dave, yeah busted out the pin crimper mate, a much nicer finish I reckon. The only dissapointing thing with the motor panel is the bottom right motor, the black tail for some reason was shorter so I couldn't make it look the same, oh well I will move on eventually hahaha.

On a positive note, I really appreciate everyone's comments that you think I'm doing a nice job on this, it's always nice to know that people rate your work as good and makes me proud of my work.

Cheers to all :)

SPArKy_Dave, slydog, XES and 2 others like this

Thanks man :)

some more pics, this is trial fitting the access panel to the motors, flash handles hey!! pulled it back off to prime.

SAM_2318_zpsa1501798.jpg

filled all the screw holes and blended the slider section in and gave it a coat of sealer/primer for the last time on the majority of it.

SAM_2319_zpsea6cb807.jpg

SAM_2321_zps14449540.jpg

This is the baffle assembly, I explained it's purpose near the beggining of the thread but basically it settles airflow around the orafice plate that bolts to the centre piece which determines the flow capacity of the bench, just have to trim the rod at the bottom and that part is done, the 2 settling chambers are sealed and primed.

SAM_2320_zpsfad769e4.jpg

Now i have to put the front panels on including a door on the right hand side to get access to the electronics and plumbing that will be fixed to the wall in there, then make the 45 degree switch panel section that sits between the front panels and the top panel, then I can put the top on after I install the pressure pickups in the settling chambers, I will use a gasket goo for the top panel to seal against when it's put on as I can't seal it from the inside once it's on.

It dosen't sound like much to do but it is very time consuming, much more than I thought it would be. The time is worth it tho, this bench will be state of the art and as good as anything out there including the superflow equipment if not better to be truthful, I am using the very best of gear and should serve me well and reliably for a long long time.