Clevo120Y

Flow bench

142 posts in this topic

This is the vac motor panel, I made the holes slightly larger than the vac motor intake, I also radiused the edges to make it flow nicer, make sure you measure up and space it all nicely, all I have to do is make some brackets for the motors and a seal for between the motor and the board, I have a plan for this so all is good

022_zps513413a8.jpg

023_zps52c63074.jpg

024_zps9cdd2903.jpg

025_zps385934ee.jpg

This is the orifice panel, this sits in the middle of the 2 settling chambers, on the plans I put up it is the part that makes the 2 sections on the left of the bench, it has a 5in hole in the centre that the silver plates that I showed earlier sit on top of, this is the part that determines the flow capacity of the bench, it is held down by the locating holes just around it and can be changed via the access panel that will be in the front panel of the bench. the outer holes drilled on the orifice panel are for the mounting rods for the baffles that sit 6in's above and below the orifice plate, they are there to settle the flow around the orifice plate and that no direct path from the cylinder head can disturb the flow through the orifice plate, same goes when testing exhaust, the air is pushed in the opposite direction so there is a baffle on the other side to settle that flow around the orifice plate.

033_zps130c19d4.jpg

034_zps7a1ea906.jpg

this pic just gives you an idea of what I'm talking about with the baffles, they will be held up by 4 posts and the exactly the same on the other side of the panel, the baffles have had there edges radiused as well.

035_zps55a2258d.jpg

Hey Robbie, the vac motors are from Ross Brown Sales ph (02)98992744 and speak to Carl. they were 75+tax each and $18 postage so total was around $680 part number 119996-00

robbie likes this

Mate, this is bang on.. Cant wait to see the new updates :)

Thanks for the contact, I'll reference back to this thread when I build mine and use that contact info.  Cheers.

Clevo120Y likes this

Loving this!!  Always wanted to see a flow bench in action.  I'm not to sure how it all works so I'm keen to see it all happening.  Great work mate!!

Clevo120Y likes this

Cheers Robbie, glad you like it so far mate.

Had a bit of a swearing day today, went to bunnings and they didn't have the gear I wanted, won't have any until mid next week when they get there deliveries. So I decided to start making the bore adaptor plate that the heads bolt to, it is 10mm Perspex sheets top and bottom with 4in long round steel tube for the bore, the bore is 4.15in internal diameter, so I will make sleeves that slip inside made of rolled ally sheet so I can reduce the bore 40thou at a time. Anyway I cut 4 bits of Perspex for the plates and then marked out the bore hole and tried cutting them out with a jigsaw, well I ended up with 2 that I can use, fucking split the other 2 so I threw shit hahahaha. Anyway I will get some more pics up over the weekend of what I'm doing.

Thom and slydog like this

Slight change of plans with the motor mount plate, the setups I have been reasearching I have discovered use a bypass type motor, I'm running a through flow motor, this acctually makes things easier for me, instead of fabbing up some elaborate post and rail mounting frames I can just mount them through the panel with the 4 mounting holes on the motor. So I made a template and cut the existing panel with new mounting holes, I just have to tap the 4 mounting holes on all 8 motors to suit the bolts I will be using.

079_zpsc75c1c09.jpg

081_zpsa7ba6a2a.jpg

080_zps9124559e.jpg

Here are the perspex bore adaptor plates, what a prick cutting these things up, I will come back to this later on because I haven't made up my mind on what I'm doing with that yet. 

082_zps850e47f4.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this in action!

Ah, cutting perspex would have been fun for you, did you do it all with a jigsaw?  :wacko:

Yeah I'm getting excited to finish it, I have all the materials now so should get cracking.

Yeah cut the lot with a jigsaw mate, what an asshole of a job, got it rough cut then cleaned up the edges, not fun I tell you.

No FIFO for me mr Lord, I worked underground 10 years ago but that's it. I work for myself as a sparky but now retired from it, cylinder head and engine development is what I'm going to try and do now, work from home and have the time to take the 4 kids to school and go to assemblies etc etc. I won't become rich but I don't care, I will be doing a long time hobby more seriously now, get involved with some race cars and hopefully help people go faster.

PH351, Thom, Tyler06 and 1 other like this

I rang a well know performance shop in Perth today to get an idea on what they charge to flow test a head, they quoted me $250. The thing that shocked me was that is for only 1 intake port and 1 exhaust port. They told me that's all they do because the rest of them should be the same. Maybe I'm a tight arse but that seems like a lot of money to just test 1 cylinder.

That's ridiculous, the only time they will All be the same is cnc porting, castings vary, hand porting varies (how much depends on th skill of the porter) so saying they are all the same is a very wrong attitude in my book, ask this builder of they check clearance on 1 rod & piston and assume they are are all the same or measure each one and make sure they are all the same<br />

Clevo120Y likes this

Well I have got all the panels cut out now. All the panels have been sealed and primed, even tho the panels are 18mm thick mdf you have to seal and paint them because the system can pull air through unsealed mdf. I personally think it is easier to prime all the panels first before I start screwing it together, I'm not a cabinet maker so that may be wrong but it makes sense to me lol plus it's easier.

I have tapped threads into all the motor mounts, all 32 of them by hand, I didn't want to use a drill as the mounting frame is a Bakelite material and they back onto the main fan housing, I wanted to make sure that I didn't go too far or strip the Bakelite thread. All the motors are mounted in the motor panel and ready for some wiring. The first motor I held in my hand to test before I mounted it, last time I do that hahaha flicked the switch and it near jumped out my hand, there is some torque in these babies lol so now I have a panel of 9600w of suction.

I will put some more pics up tommorow.

XES likes this