Clevo120Y

Flow bench

142 posts in this topic

I thought I would start a thread about the flow bench I'm about to build.

It is a PTS design that is based on an orifice method, it has full computer control using a digital manometer and is run through windows based OS, using the excel program I can do full port velocity mapping and the system is capable of displaying cfm, depression and velocity all in real time. There will be 8 1200w motors pulling over 600cfm at 28in h2o depression, the system also has motor control to vary the speed to keep the depression at a constant figure eg 28in, it also has soft start to limit startup current.

So hopefully tommorow I will start cutting up the panels and go from there. I will take pics as I go and post them up.

Hope you enjoy, thanks.

XES, Thom, Crazy2287 and 1 other like this

Awesome.. I've always had aspirations to build one.. Will be great to see your build.

What sort of power circuit are you going to be running it on? It is going to need a decent amount of power with 8 1200 watters

Hey guys, I'm happy you guys are wanting to see it. Robbie I am running a 6mm circuit for it, at full song it should pull about 40 amps (600cfm), considering most of the work I will do won't be more than about 350cfm and the motor control only runs the vac motors at the speed needed for the depression i want then it should sit on about 25/30 amps at the most. Being a sparky by trade saves me a bit of cost there because we charge like bastards LOL.

Mdf used is 3 sheets of 2400x1200x18mm

143_zpsec0a48a1.jpg

here are the parts I ordered, motor control, digital manometer (in bubble wrap), transformers and orofice plates. you get 4 different plates for different cfm flow, if your only doing small port work like lawnmowers or go karts you use a plate that flows 100cfm which just makes the readings more accurate in that range, if you run the 600cfm plate while testing things that pull under 100cfm then the accuracy can be out a couple of cfm, I will be using the 450cfm plate for V8 heads and the 300cfm plate for the crossflow and other smaller capacity heads which will give me accurate and repeatable results. The ally tube is what I will be getting machined up for bore adaptors, just have to come up with a design that will allow me to get a number of these bored out to different bore sizes to suit different heads, I will make about 5 of them to start with to cover the most common engines, crossflow, sbf/sbc, holden V8, LS series, holden 6. If anyone has a list of all the different bore sizes handy that you can post up that would be awesome and save me some work LOL.

140_zps142afcb3.jpg

These are my pitot tubes to measure port velocity

141_zpsa81d0fd3.jpg

This is what I got done today, I mounted up the 46in led tv and put the power in for that, this TV was in the house but one of my kids yanked the cables out of the back and broke some shit but one of the hdmi ports still work so it was still usable for this, plus it was a great excuse to buy a bigger one for the lounge room Hahahahahaha.

139_zps0ef33d8d.jpg

Also exciting for me was my new compressor turning up yesterday

142_zps1b22ae8d.jpg

So hopefully I will get some more done tommorow and I will post it up.

Thanks for showing an interest in what I'm doing.

Cheers

Gav, bear351c and Thom like this

Yeah mate it saves me quite a bit of coin. I'm over being one but, this is why I'm pouring a lot of money into trying to turn my long time hobby into a career.

Thom likes this

Yeah my math came in at 40 amps.. I've got a 6mm circuit for a welder here put in by sparky dave, its got the industrial 3 pin connector... 

when I eventually build one, I'll use that power..

Did you get all that gear from Bruce (I think his name was?) in the states?  I bought a set of plans from there years back

Great write-up thus far mate. I'm very into this kind of home-grown innovation.

Just a question, would it be just as easy to hook up one large, engine-driven vac pump instead of 8 electric pumps and associated (heavy duty) wiring, or is it not so hard to do this? I know how expensive this can all get, especially with 8 variable speed electric motors and controllers. My dad flies large kites from a trailer-mounted winch setup with lots of this kind of gear and it owes him more than what a new car costs.

Perhaps because I'm not a sparky that it does all look daunting to me. In any case, hope you nut it out and keep us posted.

Thanks Gerg, it took a lot of research to find the right motors that gave me the flow at pressure and be efficient, with motor control it makes the whole setup energy efficient, with 1 large engine driven vac motor they normally are very loud and run at one speed so you have to bleed off a lot of vacume so you are wasting energy/money plus it takes longer to stabilize the pressure drop to test at each valve lift. The setup I'm building self sets the pressure and controls the motors speed automatically, I will be able to test lift values every thou if I wanted to and quite quickly. Electrical control systems is something I used to specialize in as a sparky so I'm at an advantage. The total cost of this project will be around $3000 doing it all myself. If you had to hire a sparky then the price would easily be another couple of grand. If you needed a cabinet maker to do the woodwork also the cost would start to blow out.

PH351 and gerg like this

Pity im putting my engine together soon otherwise id be making a road trip down to get my head tested. I know id get true and unbiased readings off you! Oh well when it comes off to go my my new bottom end ill be coming to see you and by that time you will be a pro :-) Great work mate!

robbie and Clevo120Y like this

Cheers Chris, yeah I always try to give an unbiased and truthful opinion on everything, I don't tolerate bullshit very well lol. When your ready later on I should have a port profile that may suit your needs better than what you have now, not saying that your head is no good now but when a combo changes it will need a different profile and features to suit. Your welcome to visit any time mate.

slydog likes this

This is what I was waiting to here you say...I knew you were different to that other pole smoker.So Chris you could do alot worse than cruising around and having a yarn and maybe even set up a few different ports,valve seats/cuts and stuff to see which will suit your needs.

P.S Kick boxer of just a fan?

Thanks Sly, I promise to have an update on the bench tonight lol, I recently just built a 6m x 3m storage shed and it took me bloody days just to move all my extra stuff from the workshop to the other shed, then I cleaned up the workshop and put some mesh on the walls so I can hang shit off it to get it up out the way.

I Train in mixed martial arts Sly, something that I was doing just casually for fitness and to keep somewhat sharp, I have ramped it up in the past couple of months because someone pushed my buttons and it has given me focus and the lust to drop them. I am doing up to 9 sessions a week, 6 cardio and weights training and 2/3 skills and sparring training. I'm generally a very relaxed sort of bloke and I don't think that I come across aggressive (Chris and Tim have met me) but when my buttons are pushed I have surprised a few people hahahaha. Also a big boxing and kick boxing fan.

I got some of the panels cut today, the PTS plans have a layout of the panels on a sheet of MDF which is cool but my only problem with that is the panels are all linked together so when you start cutting the saw takes 5mm with it so the panels would end up the wrong size by 5mm, this may be my OCD kicking in but I decided to measure and cut 1 panel at a time so they are exactly the correct size. I also setup a guide runner for the saw every cut so they are dead straight also, time consuming but gives a nicer finish I think and I know everything is square and straight. I will cut some more tommorow.

196_zpse43bfb3b.jpg

The vac motors turned up today so I went and picked them up, they are an Ametek motor which are an excellent motor by all reports, pn 119996-00 these are the most effecient motors I could find and cost $75+tax each.

197_zps3d3c3205.jpg

Looking good bro...have to say been a liney I have yet to meet a scarey sparky but I guess your it...LOL I like your attitude and approach and your have a go nature of your projects.

As for fighting I only ever sparred at league training and never excelled,but my father was a awesome boxer as is my nephew,talent skips a generation they say so I was a better league player then those two were.One of my good mates and his dad train the local lads at the the local PCYC and to look at Ned you would think nothing at all of him till he puts his gloves on...scary dude for 75kg.

Again good luck with the shop,I hope it works out for you... 

Definitely following this with interest!

And funnily enough, I just remembered, I've got 4 massive 3 phase belt driven vacuum/blower motors stashed away.

I salvaged them from a mates Fitness Center, which closed down.

They were powering the bubbles, in the massive indoor swim spa thingy they had.

I wonder if they'd do the trick with a flow bench?

Probably only need one of em......... LOL

Clevo120Y likes this

Dave when you fire one of those bad boys up it might suck the fucking bench itself through and turn it into wood chips hahaha

Rob I musn't come accross that scary mate, every new bloke that comes to the gym gets to pick there first sparring partner just to go light and get a feel of what it's like, 9 times out of 10 I get picked lol, they are all young blokes and they must think "I'll give this old grey haired bloke a bit of a touch up and prove how good I am" hahahaha, one of my best mates is the owner of the gym and he just laughs now. It hasn't worked out how these young blokes had thought it would so far lol. I'm certainly no champion of the sport by a long way but I can look after myself very well. Majority of the young fellas walk in talking how they are fully sick street fighters but they always get put in there place, the blokes I respect are the ones that come back to the next session after being given a bit of a touch up usually with the chip on there shoulders considerably smaller, this rarely happens but, I have seen countless young blokes just the once and never see them at training again.

SPArKy_Dave likes this

Here is a pic of a section of plans that shows the internal structure, I won't show any more of the plans as I don't think it's fair to give something away that someone makes money from and has done the work to make the plans and parts in the first place, this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about when showing sections of the build.

037_zpsa44d8c71.jpg

So there are 19 panels in total that need to be made and I have done 16 of them now, I have to get some different material for the other 3 which is some 1/4in malemine and 1/4in hardwood to make the slider section that controls the directon of airflow for intake and exhaust testing, you use these 2 materials because they slide together easy. 

036_zps49ca4287.jpg

robbie likes this

Awesome, I got my plans tucked away in a filing cabinet.. When I got spare cash I'll be buying the parts

Where did you source your vac motors from and what did they cost you?