EgoXF

EGO: my XD/F ute

1,609 posts in this topic

On 13 October 2018 at 7:05 AM, EgoXF said:

Little bit of progress today. Finished off the steering, installed the new column and modified it for manual steering, fitted the pedals and under dash brackets, re ran and straightened the brake lines (took the bloody steering box out for the 3rd time to do it), cleaned the gearbox, fitted the base plates and installed some LED number plate lights. I didn't want LEDs but they where the nicest looking unit that I could find. d6f2e2ec14eed8d54c20041348f5a9d0.jpgc4deb38dd036b8d89c47511cd66c6120.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Used one of those as my boot light in my ltd ,,

the stock " just a bulb " is quite vulnerable  ..

+ it coincided with when i went on my " everything led " splurge . 

deankdx likes this

What's the go with Rego? Are they happy with the carby/edelbrock and no emissions gear, etc? Also, how are you going to drive the auto? Using a J3 chipped ECU?

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

deankdx likes this

I don't have any photos of my drawings but I've drawn up a design for a crossmember for the gearbox, ill tac it in the car and finish it at work. hopefully I'll have it finished next weekend. I'm going to need to get the tailshaft shorted a touch. I'm not sure what to do about the handbreak cable yet. 174a91559effd6e740e1a6bdbce86c3c.jpg

measure a sedan tailshaft if it's shorter than a ute.

also have a look at a T5 cross member they are bent that way but it might be far more than that? 

you may just need to weld a  an extention tab on the back of it to reach the mount(i did this to a standard cross member for a T5 once.

image_zps6fa35124.jpg

EgoXF likes this

looks awesome by the way! 

not a fan of those ramps, looks like the tyre is barely on the flat part before it hits the end stop?

EgoXF likes this

Cheers guys! Im and apprentice fabricator so I'd rather make a nice over engineered one from scratch than modify a standard one.
The ramps look small in the photos but there's a fair bit of room on top for the tires to sit into

deankdx likes this

I don't know if that would work for my car, it would make it difficult to service the gearbox and the mount is quite a long way from the body mounts

52 minutes ago, EgoXF said:

I don't know if that would work for my car, it would make it difficult to service the gearbox and the mount is quite a long way from the body mounts

looking at yours i'd mount decent solid angle iron from the current mounts and mount a normal cross member off that(maybe tie into the floor again there, it's a fair way back)

This is my basic solution. It clears everywhere it needs to and it will be plenty strong. I'll even consider adding some gussets but I don't think it needs it. I'll shorten the ends and add some angle to connect it to the body. Excuse the booger welds my little home welder isn't much chop6bff4aba5539b964e07e955905874cb7.jpg2b5c4b2047e2194c87ac4f4e6f499103.jpge2eeeeec435c0cecb8fc585041ddc599.jpg

deankdx, bear351c and Ando81 like this

I think the best part of my job is just being able to use 80 grands worth of equipment just to make myself a couple of little brackets for my crossmembera712f10274ba5346b63043dc0f2c31be.jpga841c7713314db57ea89318c7ee3900c.jpgf82e6ae50009808d1ed213ed2a77d81a.jpg2cb65793d0be3205083591def97fec65.jpg

deankdx, Thom, macman and 1 other like this

and you only made 2?
 probably have people putting orders in before long..

and you only made 2?
 probably have people putting orders in before long..
If people are interested in them I've considered drawing it all up and making up a jig for it so I can make a few to sell. The only ones I've found on the internet for this conversion are from crs and they want $250 for it. This crossmember has only cost me $20 so far so I'd only really be charging for labour

deankdx likes this

yeah CRS cross member i bought for supra 5 speed consisted of a falcon one with the middle cut out and a chunk of angle iron welded in.. $150 thanks(fitted and was strong, so cant really complain at that price) 

wonder how different that cross member would be to the BTR behind Barra, probably more doing that conversion lately. looking at Ant's one in the Farm Ute its similar distance rearward

EgoXF likes this

I'm happy with how this turned out. Ill hopefully weld it up on Monday and install it and hope that it works hahac7b30410a92763267744b465b4487cfd.jpg54f2cbc9ffcf3626dce79c4f7ee05e03.jpg595412a42946482afaea8dfe025af3e9.jpg89bb9f038dc8261303a171a612916510.jpg

deankdx and gerg like this

looks better than some i've seen!

i never thought about having left and right adjustment(shouldn't need?) 

but that said, i don't recall needing the fore and aft adjustment either.. it sits where it sits. jobs done. 

I should explain the elongated holes. As i was lying on my back with the car inches from my face it was really difficult to get any decent measurements and make sure that my holes where going to be dead on, and i only wanted to make those brackets once so I decided to go with that option. It might sound silly but it wont effect anything once everything is tightened down

deankdx likes this

That’s impressive fabrication mate. The machine makes it a lot easier and I bet you’ll have a lot of “friends” asking you for favours now that they know you have access to it

EgoXF likes this