mcfly94

Idle adjustment how to minimise difference under load

Hi guys, really trying to figure out why my car idles at 1200rpm in park/neutral yet only 650/700 in drive, only happened since c4 went in.

Could it be vacuum line arrangement, because I cant seem to find any leaks.

I know I shouldn't worry but I have had enough of the car jolting into reverse, its pretty harsh on the trans, and im about to have it rebuilt.

What else can cause it?

Very much sounds like a vacuum leak. Check every single line coming off the manifold, check for splits at the end of every hose (very common) and check PCV valve by putting your finger over it. Squeeze the brake booster line shut with pliers. Leave no stone unturned... Crimp every hose coming off to see if it's the culprit. Spray the shit out of every joint, throttle shaft, gasket flange with WD40 when running and listen for change in RPM.

Will do, already tried pcv valve, Ill give every single one ago tomorrow. Cross fingers I find something, I hope I find something wrong better than not knowing.

It must be something other then a vacuum leak mcfly due to the the rpm difference. Even if there was a vacuum leak the differential between park and drive would remain the same......250-300rpm

I would love the answer to this as well, my EFi has been jolting into reverse since I got it and I still can't find the issue. I actually blew my first transmission reverse gear because of it. Any ideas?? My vacume hoses seem fine but I really can't see anything there

i found that mixtures and timing can affect this to an extent.

when the auto's in gear its under load (small, but a load nonetheless).

i found reducing the idle speed adjustment but ramping up ignition advance and richening the mixture (on lpg) would reduce the idle speed difference.

Did a bit of fiddling with the idle speed and mixture.

Timing set at 10 degrees at about 900rpm.

Idling at about 900rpm in neutral and drops around to 650-675 in gear now. only around 200rpm drop which is much better.

Checked brake booster line, and its A okay.

Needs more fine tuning, thinking about setting up an Inno AFR.

Is yours EFI mcfly94 or carby ?

Carby mate, still a bit to sort with my carb, idle cut solenoid is a bit iffy sometimes and the idle circuit play us, plan is to run a 465 holley on a 4 barrel soon, got to sort my ignition first.

Ah okay mine is EFI and I would love to stop the 'thump' in reverse or atleast lower it. My XE has a really nice soft clunk into reverse and it is also EFi. Must be something I can do!

another thing can be related to auto / converter.

i had my converter / auto replaced, and the clunks were much less severe...

currently has relatively fresh C4 and tight converter, and you just feel and gentle but positive click when gear is engaged.

I put a reco'd trans in it after the first one blew, what would it need to stop the "thump" its not actually a noise it just doesn't seem to have a drop when it goes into gear!

I put a reco'd trans in it after the first one blew, what would it need to stop the "thump" its not actually a noise it just doesn't seem to have a drop when it goes into gear!

Try some auto transmission conditioner. It makes your hard seals go all gooey again. Just don't expect to get it back together if you dismantle the box, as the seals swell up that much that you can't get the pistons back in.

Also, how often do you give your tranny a flush/oil change/filter? The fluid makes a massive difference to the way an auto shifts.

Never had that problem with that convertor but that said it did sit in the shed for 12-18mnths unused. Was a reco unit so unless the box has contaminated it maybe?

And now the idle cut solenoid is playing up -__-, need to source some more from upullit, also still needs a tune, such a prick to tune!, thinking about setting up an afr, would this allow me to get my mixture good? aatm tuning by ear does not seem to work! nor with a vac gauge.

Just put a Holley on it mate, easy to tune and rebuild. Download a tuning tips book from Holley and off you go. The webber is a good carb but once they get worn out they are useless plus all the extra emissions crap and idle solinoids etc etc they just have more parts to play up.

Try some auto transmission conditioner. It makes your hard seals go all gooey again. Just don't expect to get it back together if you dismantle the box, as the seals swell up that much that you can't get the pistons back in.

Also, how often do you give your tranny a flush/oil change/filter? The fluid makes a massive difference to the way an auto shifts.

Before I put the trans in I gave it a service with a new filter and everything. not sure how the trans was before I bought it but its smooth on the gears just seems my car drops in gear too high in rpm.

Just put a Holley on it mate, easy to tune and rebuild. Download a tuning tips book from Holley and off you go. The webber is a good carb but once they get worn out they are useless plus all the extra emissions crap and idle solinoids etc etc they just have more parts to play up.

yeah had few people say that, ill look into to it, not going 4bbl, only 2bbl using adapter plate, too expensive otherwise.