Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ando81

What colour speedo gear?

its a red or purple came from auto cables in melbourne i think ,i asked for a 21 tooth but i didnt count it ,i just had a look on the rare spares website and they have a calcuator for ratio's tyres diff gears ect and with the green 21 tooth it should be spot on by the calcuator,i guess i should have checked it well out she comes again tomorrow.

if you know the speedo is out 20% and its got say a 19 tooth gear, you can just add 20% to the number on the gear = closer to 23 teeth. 

i have never taken notice of the colours. i used to be lucky enough due to wrecking plenty of x series to have a few gears on hand.

the borg warner gears are the same, C10 and FMX are longer and opposite from my memory(havent touched one for 10yrs though)

yeah i just took it for another run and i reckon its no different than the one i took out,i asked em  for a 21 and by the number on the packet its std fittment for a xe falcon,i did some research and the number i need is c4oz-17271-d which is the green 21 tooth,so i will be ringing them up tomorrow and try to get a swap ?or i will try the ford dealer.

yeah i just took it for another run and i reckon its no different than the one i took out,i asked em  for a 21 and by the number on the packet its std fittment for a xe falcon,i did some research and the number i need is c4oz-17271-d which is the green 21 tooth,so i will be ringing them up tomorrow and try to get a swap ?or i will try the ford dealer.

i lost faith in ford dealers, got sick of hearing NLA (no longer available).  but will only cost a phone call.

wreckers, ebay, should be able to find it easy enough. the E series with that diff ratio should have had that gear in it.. not sure what a wrecker would want compared to a new price

yeah i saw that one last night on e bay,cheers

note how they are different colours. hence the reason i dont like the mention of the colours, i have had several differnt colours of the same tooth number.

yeah i see,i read somewhere that a purple 21 was the correct gear ,but now it could be anything ! i might even go to the wreckers tomorrow and get the gear out of the car that the diff came from,and check it out.

yeah i see,i read somewhere that a purple 21 was the correct gear ,but now it could be anything ! i might even go to the wreckers tomorrow and get the gear out of the car that the diff came from,and check it out.

don't worry about the colour, if its a borg warner box(will be due to e series) just get the gear from it and its likely to be a 21 with that diff ratio.

i suspect back in 1983 when the chart was made, the colour might be relavent, but 30 years later the colour may have been disregarded.. teeth number and if its for the correct transmission is all that matters.(FMX C10 etc or borg warner)

I got the green 21 tooth out of the car the diff came out of and i fitted it but its no different still out by about 10k;s at 100kph,i also noticed the purple 21 tooth i got off e bay had the teeth going in opposite direction to the green ? so im still trying ? last resort is just go for 22 or 23 and see how it goes !2015-10-26%2012.07.03_zpsogepnykq.jpg

This is the original tooth that came out of the 35 auto box it says 20a but if you look closely you can see a 7 next to it? maybe its a 7 drive gear,might explain why im going through hell trying to work it all out,if its a 7 drive gear what driven gear should i be looking for ? 23 ? it had a 20 with 2.77's2015-10-26%2013.57.19_zpstaimlhmx.jpg

10ks at what speed, its percentage difference, 100kmh out by 10ks = 10%,(so at 50kmh it will be out by 5ks)

21 teeth plus 10% = about 2 teeth, you may need to go to 23(it may read under then = speed camera risk)

thats my theory anyway, it may be close enough with 22 teeth, (handy do have a bit of error on the slower side for speed cams etc)

This the kinda thing that can drive you loopy.... My ZL was 10k under and chucked in another transducer and its now 9k over with the same cog... Now I just spped everywhere lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

This the kinda thing that can drive you loopy.... My ZL was 10k under and chucked in another transducer and its now 9k over with the same cog... Now I just spped everywhere lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

it may have had an XD or XE sender in before hand, they are 8pulse per tailshaft rev, and XF and E series are 10pulse per rev.

Look the gears are facing different ways ? the purple is 21 off e bay and the brown is the 20a out of the car originaly.2015-10-26%2013.52.42_zpszickgm5o.jpg

the purple one is probably for the V8 boxes or C4 auto on 6cyl XD etc..

the borg warner gears run a different angle

yep i took it out,i rang old mate at FORD and he said from xa to xe should have 8 drive gear and i told him whats going on and he said get the 22 grey which is still availible for $35 so thats what i will try next,??????

yep i took it out,i rang old mate at FORD and he said from xa to xe should have 8 drive gear and i told him whats going on and he said get the 22 grey which is still availible for $35 so thats what i will try next,??????

sounds like what i would think, take your old one and make sure the teeth run in the same direction.

You can adjust the minor error in the speedo from the small screw in the rear of the speedo.

I used a jewlers screw driver to do it. ( I believe plastic screw driver is recommended ).

I was able to adjust 40km/h error out of mine when I went from 3.45 to 3.9 diff gears.

cheers,i new about the screw but didnt think it was that ajustable,thanks,only problem i just got all the dash working choice and dont really feel like undoing it all again just yet.