Ando81

What colour speedo gear?

Got this one out of a donor its way off as my car has 3.9s

Someone had the wrong gear in it lol. Was the wrong hand so it diddnt really fit at all

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a speedo adjuster module of evilbay for 120 bucks, wont be trying it out till I have the new diff in but it should solve the problem of finding the right cog!

How does that work? seeing how its mechanical lol? unless u have a car that has a electronic sender instead of a cable.. ?

I just bought a speedo adjuster module of evilbay for 120 bucks, wont be trying it out till I have the new diff in but it should solve the problem of finding the right cog!

I'm interested to see how this works.

I just chucked it in the shed till I need it so I haven't used it but its got fine tune settings etc, and yeah its electronic its apparently for x series. My XD doesn't have a cable it is electronic. I figure it just adjusts your needle somehow. Apparently use it when your driving. I saw it on ebay last month and snapped it up because Id never seen one

post-1025-0-73304600-1390289225_thumb.jpg

Hey guys is there any trick to taking the clip of the plastic gear or just use a small screwdriver ? i bought a 20 tooth purple for my 3.27.s gunna undo the borgy 35 ta morra and put it in.

ok i fitted it but i think its still not correct,i might have to go for a 22 tooth i put a purple c40z-17271-a i am sure its 21 tooth but let me check ? it seems to be about 8 to 10 k's out.I checked the old one and its a 20 tooth in a borg warner 35 auto but most charts say 18 0r 19 teeth for 2.77,the new part number came up as 21 tooth,so i guess i need maybe a 22 ? im using snowflakes and 225 -60-15 tyres with 3.27 gears.

That's exactly my combo (3.27, 225/60r15 on snowies) except I run T5. I remember my speedo gear being green, been a couple of years now since doing it though so not 100%. It runs pretty spot-on.

I think 2.92 was pink.

Here ya go I just googlated it and ripped this off a Ford Forum:

Diff……drive…driven…colour

2.92:1 …8 ……18………Purple

2.92:1 …8 ……19………Pink

3.00:1 …8 ……19………Pink

3.23:1 …8 ……20………Brown

3.23:1 …8 ……21………Lt. Green

3.50:1 …8 ……22………Grey

3.50:1 …8 ……23………Black

the gearbox is a borgwarner 35 std auto in a 82 xe ,you mean the gear inside the box that drives the driven gear ? If its a 7 tooth should i get maybe a 23 or higher ?

Yeah that's the one. Determine the drive gear first so you know where to calculate the ratio from and go from there I reckon. Are you 100% sure that box hasn't come from an earlier model with a 7-tooth cog?

i dont no,its a low km car and all orig as far as i no ? weird how the the 20 tooth came out of there ,maybe thats why the speedo is still out a tad with the 21 tooth,it had a 2.77 drummy in there before and it was spot on in the speedo,when you said a green 21 tooth before thats what is says for factory 3.23 or 3.27 does it really matter what colour it is or any colour just the tooth count ?

Nope, they definitely do colours for a reason. Tooth count is specific to a colour, as in the chart above. They can list multiple colours for a given ratio due to tyre diameter differences between models. Try a grey one and see how you go.

hmmmm i wish i new all this before,i might try what you said or try and get the factory light green one for 3.27,while on the subject i have a fmx here and it has a longer smaller pointed end gear on it ,does that mean its a different thread,like right and left handed ? because when i put the clevo in i need to change that sucker too !

Ford boxes are opposite pitch teeth (of course) as the sender sits either on the opposite side of the gear or above it, can't remember, so no go there... Top loader, C4, etc. Dunno about FMX but google it to be sure.

its a red or purple came from auto cables in melbourne i think ,i asked for a 21 tooth but i didnt count it ,i just had a look on the rare spares website and they have a calcuator for ratio's tyres diff gears ect and with the green 21 tooth it should be spot on by the calcuator,i guess i should have checked it well out she comes again tomorrow.